Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Snow Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Got home in pretty much the normal time today, left at 1pm. Didn't fancy any more pain after it took me 4 hours to get home on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Haha,the snowball mob was hilarious.
    dyl10 wrote: »
    I'd love to see some of those scumbags reprimanded

Prude?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Prude?

In fairness some of them were actively targeting cyclists, which is just not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Talk about a Winter Wonderland, at least until it all turns to slush. This was the view up near Newstead today. (A bit sepia-tinted, I admit.)

SnowyNewstead.jpg

:cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Prude?

I can't say I saw the funny side, when those dicks spent nearly a minute throwing snow into theatre M, knocking all the lecturers things off his table on to the floor, making the rest of the material for the lecture unusable and drenching my A4 pad full of notes and handouts

What comedians :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Can anyone explain to me the logic of shutting the whole college down at 5?
    Because all I can see it did was to cause everyone to go add to the horrendous transport situation at the worst time possible.
    Took me an hour and 20 minutes to do what is normally a 30 minute drive at peak times and 15 minute drive off-peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Seifer wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me the logic of shutting the whole college down at 5?
    Because all I can see it did was to cause everyone to go add to the horrendous transport situation at the worst time possible.
    Took me an hour and 20 minutes to do what is normally a 30 minute drive at peak times and 15 minute drive off-peak.

Turning everyone in UCD onto the streets in heavy snow at 5pm has to be the worst health and saftey decision I have ever heard of in my life. Some foreign students I was with from Canada couldnt believe that they were being put out into the weather. I ended up going down a hill sideways in my car in Clonskeagh when I would have much rather waiting until after rush hour traffic to leave UCD. Can someone please explain why "due to the weather" they have to close UCD early? Why wernt services taking student cards of people causing trouble or just man the doors to prevent snow being brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I sometimes wonder whether UCD is really a University. Oh a few inches of snow: close the fooker down!

And to close it because of the snow mob...I mean how hard is it to control these dudes? I watched them from the library, and whilst they were a fairly big crowd hardly too big to control. I suspect drink had something to do with it: lectures cancelled=bar=snowballs.

I was supposed to be teaching a tutorial at 5, but now that class will have to merge, or more likely they'll just drift off.

Not to mention that some of us need to be in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It was probably the staff wanting to make sure they got home tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

scop wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder whether UCD is really a University. Oh a few inches of snow: close the fooker down!

And to close it because of the snow mob...I mean how hard is it to control these dudes? I watched them from the library, and whilst they were a fairly big crowd hardly too big to control. I suspect drink had something to do with it: lectures cancelled=bar=snowballs.

I was supposed to be teaching a tutorial at 5, but now that class will have to merge, or more likely they'll just drift off.

Not to mention that some of us need to be in the library.

Actually a lot of the other colleges were/are closed the last few days and have had much more things cancelled than UCD. I haven't had a single lecture cancelled all week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

What staff? Any staff that were due to go home at 5 do so. Why send everyone else that was supposed to keep the place open home at the same time? They'd have an easier time getting home at their later quitting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Grimes wrote: »
    Turning everyone in UCD onto the streets in heavy snow at 5pm has to be the worst health and saftey decision I have ever heard of in my life. Some foreign students I was with from Canada couldnt believe that they were being put out into the weather. I ended up going down a hill sideways in my car in Clonskeagh when I would have much rather waiting until after rush hour traffic to leave UCD. Can someone please explain why "due to the weather" they have to close UCD early?

Could you not have waited in your car in the car park until the traffic abated if safety was an issue, there was no mention of gates closing at 5. And I would say the reason they decided to close at 5 was that there was too much of a risk of serious injury to a person on campus: It only takes one idiot to have a rake of drink in the bar and then slip on ice and blame the college for it happening. Better to be safe than sorry in this case.
    Grimes wrote: »
    Why wernt services taking student cards of people causing trouble or just man the doors to prevent snow being brought in. Why wernt services taking student cards of people causing trouble or just man the doors to prevent snow being brought in.

Perhaps the authorities were a bit too naive in thinking that a group of twentysomethings could control themselves when in the presence of semi frozen water? I wasnt in today but it sounds like it was anarchy in there today, people were throwing snowballs within the buildings and theatres i hear? Shows great respect for college and the cleaning staff that would have had to deal with the mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What happened with this "snow mob"? Can some give details for those of us not there?

Living in Sweden, I'm now the proud owner of a smug "you think this is snow/cold? You haven't seen snow/cold" grin. A couple of inches and all hell breaks lose there. There's been snow on the ground here for about 3 weeks now. Sick of the stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Tom65 wrote: »
    What happened with this "snow mob"? Can some give details for those of us not there?

Living in Sweden, I'm now the proud owner of a smug "you think this is snow/cold? You haven't seen snow/cold" grin. A couple of inches and all hell breaks lose there. There's been snow on the ground here for about 3 weeks now. Sick of the stuff :P

It was all out war on campus with snowballs, every man to himself outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

dyl10 wrote: »
    I can't say I saw the funny side, when those dicks spent nearly a minute throwing snow into theatre M, knocking all the lecturers things off his table on to the floor, making the rest of the material for the lecture unusable and drenching my A4 pad full of notes and handouts

What comedians :rolleyes:

pwned

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The gangs of thugs roaming around seem to have been the reason as much as anyone wanting to go home. Snow is hardly a new thing, a few services people at doors (perhaps with some doors being closed) is enough to stop people carrying snow into buildings. Some people may need to go home but the library and canteen should have identified people who live nearby who can keep the show on the road in these cases. If drunk people are likely to slip on the ice then close the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

In fairness, I think that the 'snow mob' members who went through the arts block lobbing snow around were probably one of the reasons why UCD decided to close early. It is tough enough when college authorities and students have to negotiate the kind of weather we had today without the scumbags (well called dyl10) who decide the snow is a good enough excuse to wreck lectures for the students who actually want to learn something and target anyone who just wanted to walk on the concourse.

For anyone who wasn't around campus this afternoon, the so called snow mobs were groups of 20 or 30 guys (mostly) who lined themselves up either side of the concourse between Daedalus and Newman and hurled snowballs en masse at anyone who walked between them. Not only that, but when they say anyone with an umbrella or who tried to run by, someone would scream 'Umbrella' or 'Runner' and the target person referred to would get a hail of about 40 icy snowballs launched at them at the one time. I heard of at least one woman who had her umbrella broken by these goons. TBH shows the worst of mob mentality and attitudes of some people in UCD. :mad:

Fair enough when they were throwing snowballs at each other in front of engineering but deliberately targeting others for 'fun' was pretty shocking to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The student bar is the only thing open tonight. Coronas gig

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Aww, I was about to make a sarcastic comment about what a shame it would be if the Coronas were unable to play tonight.

The snow and the fights were good fun today, however a group of people knocking some poor girl off her bike was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Weren't the gaurds called and everything??Heard it was an all out war:eek:

Sickened I missed all the commotion. Bloody tutorial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I know that there were a bunch of snowballs fired at two primary school kids when I was on my way back at around 3pm outside quinn. In fairness though the mob did show a bit of restraint.

I'm glad I decided to leave my laptop at home as I'd only one lecture today. Blood would have been spilt had a snowball to hit it while I was sitting in a lecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

spaczed wrote: »
    In fairness, I think that the 'snow mob' members who went through the arts block lobbing snow around were probably one of the reasons why UCD decided to close early. It is tough enough when college authorities and students have to negotiate the kind of weather we had today without the scumbags (well called dyl10) who decide the snow is a good enough excuse to wreck lectures for the students who actually want to learn something and target anyone who just wanted to walk on the concourse.

For anyone who wasn't around campus this afternoon, the so called snow mobs were groups of 20 or 30 guys (mostly) who lined themselves up either side of the concourse between Daedalus and Newman and hurled snowballs en masse at anyone who walked between them. Not only that, but when they say anyone with an umbrella or who tried to run by, someone would scream 'Umbrella' or 'Runner' and the target person referred to would get a hail of about 40 icy snowballs launched at them at the one time. I heard of at least one woman who had her umbrella broken by these goons. TBH shows the worst of mob mentality and attitudes of some people in UCD. :mad:

Fair enough when they were throwing snowballs at each other in front of engineering but deliberately targeting others for 'fun' was pretty shocking to be honest.

That sounds like it would've been great craic when I was 15 or 16. Now it just sounds like acting the arsehole. I mean, snowball fights are great fun, but lobbing snowballs at people you don't know is just stupid.

Does anyone know for sure if UCD was closed because of them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Could you not have waited in your car in the car park until the traffic abated if safety was an issue, there was no mention of gates closing at 5. And I would say the reason they decided to close at 5 was that there was too much of a risk of serious injury to a person on campus: It only takes one idiot to have a rake of drink in the bar and then slip on ice and blame the college for it happening. Better to be safe than sorry in this case.

Presumably he wanted to do something somewhat productive tho. Lectures and labs were actually cancelled. You couldn't even go to the library...

I'm not sure letting everybody out of every building at the same time is the best safety practice either. Not to mention the negative impact of everybody leaving UCD at the same time would have on the surrounding traffic. Sure if that happened on a nomal day it would probably cause chaos with at least 4000 cars leaving at once...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Luckily I managed to avoid these gob****es for the most part. Just the one snowball was thrown into theater Q by some idiot. Had a few thrown in my general direction while I was outside Newman having a smoke, luckily none hit me as I was wearing toecaps it wouldn't have been too pleasant an experience for whoever threw it.

Take care tomorrow as all that slush on the ground may freeze tonight turning the majority of the paved areas of UCD into one giant ice rink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I just stood in a group flinging snowballs at other people who were flinging snowballs at random people. One lad standing outside Daedelus, nailed him in the head from beside the restaurant(between the Arts block). Also had an attempt at making a snow-cock at far side of the bar...sculpture is not my thing, but a general idea could be got from the final result.

As for going into buildings and throwing it...nah, thats not cool. And then lecture halls is even worse.

Back home in work today, there was noone in the place, so myself and another lad went outside for a few minutes and had a mini-fight...priceless when we came back in. Gotta love the snow, especially as I'm not in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

to all the people giving out about the so-called "Snow Mobs"....get a life will ya!!! oh no so some people got a little covered in snow...probably got no more wet than they would have had they been pissed on by the Gods....and while i dont condone deliberately trying to harm people like the cyclists or the snowballing of lecture theatres, i did not get a single argument from people who I threw snowballs at...you can kinda tell the people who are able to have a laugh in UCD and we avoided the others

so yeah people went a bit mad but its not exactly surprising. there hasnt been snow like that in Dublin since i was in 6th class which is 8 years ago. people were bound to go a bit wild...i feel sad for the people who didnt get in the spirit of things and decided to come on here and complain instead and i hope that someday soon they realise there is more to life than having a rant on the internet. get out there and have some fun in the snow. it will do you the world of good

Actually a lot of the other colleges were/are closed the last few days and have had much more things cancelled than UCD. I haven't had a single lecture cancelled all week

I don't see how this makes a difference to my point except to extend the critique to the other campuses.

lighten up for **** sake, i was throwing a few snowballs around today and looking around at other people they were having great fun, (something that is usually absent in ucd).Later on when i was walking to the shop/lectures i got hit by a few from people i didnt know but its only a bit of snow

More so reckoning they could get off early with the pretense of horror weather as opposed to the fairly bad, not actually that bad really weather we are dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

kev_s88 wrote: »

so yeah people went a bit mad but its not exactly surprising. there hasnt been snow like that in Dublin since i was in 6th class which is 8 years ago. people were bound to go a bit wild...i feel sad for the people who didnt get in the spirit of things and decided to come on here and complain instead and i hope that someday soon they realise there is more to life than having a rant on the internet. get out there and have some fun in the snow. it will do you the world of good

ah kev_s88..... yeah ya no your right... it was okay for them to go mad... it was ok for them to burst into our lecture hall and belt everyone out of it with snowballs.... it was alright for them to lob the lecturer out of it ... and it was alright for sum TOOL.. to lob a massive snow ball bout.. 10 inches in diameter on top of my laptop and completely ****in soak it ???
    cop on will ya... im all for a luagh myself and it was grand outside, ppl throwin them at each other and whatever.. but for them to come into a lecture hall where i hav a laptop out and fcuk a snowball on top o my laptop worth no less than a grand and soak it was bang out of order...never mind the fact that they showed complete and utter disrespect... i mean seriusly .. i hope they catch the ones that were in doors.. because to be honest their a bunch of absolute tools... seriously like.. grow up...

Advertisement