Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Snow Snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I think the snow mob I'm thinking of was a little crazier than the ones some dudes here witnessed. At around 3-4 there was a group of about 30-40 lads making their way up the concourse up to the Sports Centre absolutely rowdy, and milling snowballs only at passers by including girls on bikes, and anyone attempting to pass. :eek: Not cool. I don't mind the flinging at each other/occasional one cheeky one at people in groups themselves, but this seemed a little out of hand. Not the end of the world, but a little bit WTF are they doing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Spent a good 2 hours with a couple of others outside CompSci pelting snowballs at people walking past us today, have to say it was the best craic I'v had in ages.. Most people saw the funny side but a few weren't best pleased! I don't see the big deal though, its not like theres anything malicious about snow..

All the same, Have to say I feel a bit remorsefull thinking back on it now after reading this thread haha :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

karmabass wrote: »
    Spent a good 2 hours with a couple of others outside CompSci pelting snowballs at people walking past us today, have to say it was the best craic I'v had in ages.. Most people saw the funny side but a few weren't best pleased! I don't see the big deal though, its not like theres anything malicious about snow..

All the same, Have to say I feel a bit remorsefull thinking back on it now after reading this thread haha :pac:

i can see the funny side of bein OUTSIDE lashin snow balls around... and fair enough its only snow or whatever.. but sum o them were bein a little out of hand.. but like i said above... massive snowballs lashed onto my laptop INDOORS in a lecture hall is jus out of order ....

karmabass wrote: »

Depends; not all of us are farting about doing fook-all on a Thursday afternoon. Can be irksome to have to dodge wet, cold-ass ice just to get from place to place hence why I think it'd have been cooler to lob them at, you know, the other guys who actually think they are still in whatever wanky jock school they sent to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

lighten up for **** sake, i was throwing a few snowballs around today and looking around at other people they were having great fun, (something that is usually absent in ucd).Later on when i was walking to the shop/lectures i got hit by a few from people i didnt know but its only a bit of snow
    I don't think too many people mind that. It was the throwing of snowballs into lecture halls where people were sitting with laptops that, you know, cost quite a bit of money and don't like water being thrown on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

McNuggy wrote: »
    ah kev_s88..... yeah ya no your right... it was okay for them to go mad... it was ok for them to burst into our lecture hall and belt everyone out of it with snowballs.... it was alright for them to lob the lecturer out of it ... and it was alright for sum TOOL.. to lob a massive snow ball bout.. 10 inches in diameter on top of my laptop and completely ****in soak it ???
    cop on will ya... im all for a luagh myself and it was grand outside, ppl throwin them at each other and whatever.. but for them to come into a lecture hall where i hav a laptop out and fcuk a snowball on top o my laptop worth no less than a grand and soak it was bang out of order...never mind the fact that they showed complete and utter disrespect... i mean seriusly .. i hope they catch the ones that were in doors.. because to be honest their a bunch of absolute tools... seriously like.. grow up...

how about ya read the rest of my post before ya comment and start going off at me...cause if ya did you would realise that im totally against what they did inside...and i dont think they should ever have stepped foot inside any buildings, nevermind inside lecture theaters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Mushy wrote: »
    Also had an attempt at making a snow-cock at far side of the bar...sculpture is not my thing, but a general idea could be got from the final result.

Think I saw your group making that. Highly amusing to watch from the basement of the restaurant :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Throwing snowballs at your friends or willing participants is great craic... Throwing snowball at strangers is sh*tty, as is throwing them at lecturers, as is throwing them at cars. Kids hit my car the other day, no big deal... adults should really have a bit of cop on though.

If I wanted to play then I'd have a snowball in my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I've no problem with snowball fights out in the snow

I do have problems with people snowballing the inside of buildings out of it and just being generally stupid. How those of you that are telling us to "lighten up" don't see the difference is beyond me... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

Im personally disapointed i missed all of that today, im all against disturbing lectures etc but theres quite a few people id love to nail with a snowball around ucd, how big was the crowd that went into quinn does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

while im totally opposed to running inside lecture halls + destroying laptops...............

.... i have to say that the two hours spent hurling snow at and with the 'snow mob' was the most enjoyable experience of my (relatively short admittedly) Ucd life during day time..

while it was juvenile to watch perhaps (or just stupid) for some.... the fact that over 100 random students joining together purely for fun and snow, to be a part of it was thoroughly enjoyable!

disclaimer - people with umbrella's were 'asking for it' ;)

Kirnsy wrote: »

while it was juvenile to watch perhaps (or just stupid) for some.... the fact that over 100 random students joining together purely for fun and snow, to be a part of it was thoroughly enjoyable!

From my perspective i think the snow mob might have been unaware how intimidating they looked to oncomers etc, but that being said hardly the worst thing a group of people could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

scop wrote: »
    From my perspective i think the snow mob might have been unaware how intimidating they looked to oncomers etc, but that being said hardly the worst thing a group of people could do.
    The thing is though that they were doing real harm, not even getting into stressing people out and apart from disrupting lectures, several ambulances were called onto campus today because of people being knocked off bikes and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To the people here who are saying lighten up etc. how about no. Why the **** should I just accept you ****less gombeens throwing blocks of snow at me. If I wanted to join in your infantile little game surely you may have noticed.

Also to the people who had their laptops wrecked by these little pricks, put a claim in with the college for a replacement. I'd imagine they would be all to pleased to pass the cost on to the little pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Has UCD mentioned anything with regards to disciplinary action against those pricks who wreacked havoc in lecture theatres?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

RichTea wrote: »
    Think I saw your group making that. Highly amusing to watch from the basement of the restaurant :pac:

Wahey, glad ya enjoyed it. Was damn good snow there too actually, surprised no-one got there before us!
    Dave! wrote: »
    Throwing snowballs at your friends or willing participants is great craic... Throwing snowball at strangers is sh*tty, as is throwing them at lecturers, as is throwing them at cars. Kids hit my car the other day, no big deal... adults should really have a bit of cop on though.

If I wanted to play then I'd have a snowball in my hand!

This would sum up exactly what I think of the whole thing. And even though some of the shots that hit passer-by's were funny, they shouldn't be the target.

Actually, on the bus home, coming through Newtown, bus going downhill in the snow, so moving very slowly, some little kid, bout 10(bit of a scumbag I've been told), flings a snowball...and missed! Dunno how ya miss a slow moving, 52-seater coach, but he did it. That made me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Your Man wrote: »
    Im personally disapointed i missed all of that today, im all against disturbing lectures etc but theres quite a few people id love to nail with a snowball around ucd, how big was the crowd that went into quinn does anyone know?

there was about 40 people from Arts and Engineering that rushed the Quinn Building...was pretty funny looking.we stayed back and watched from a distance...the lads in Quinn ended up throwing the same snow from inside Quinn back at the mob...was a great time :D

scop wrote: »

thats a fair point...before i joined the 'mob' i was bombarded trying to get into quinn
    Zounds wrote: »
    The thing is though that they were doing real harm, not even getting into stressing people out and apart from disrupting lectures, several ambulances were called onto campus today because of people being knocked off bikes and the like.

all of that i am against. a bit of snow at the odd walker by is grand but trying to hurt people is not on tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Snow,snow,snow,snow,snow,snow,snow,snow,snow....................................................................................Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

Ok, so it hasn't snowed in years, fine, and it's enjoyable to have snow ball fights.

BUT

Most of the 'fun' yesterday was aimed at people not in the snow mob. Essentially, the mob were picking out did not choose or want to be part of their game and abusing them for their own enjoyment. It was intimidating to be singled out by a mob of 50 people, and at the very least people were harassed and got 'a little bit wet' (50 snowballs is just a bit wet?), some had their personal property broken or were knocked off their bikes and injured. And this was for the 'fun' and enjoyment of the people in the snow mob.

If it wasn't snowing yesterday, this would be considered mass bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Here,it was all a bit of fun. I agree they shouldn't injure anyone but I don't think anyone suffered anything more than getting a little wet. People are overeacting way too much.

At least it shows people are willing to cause a bit of anarchy. If we could just point them in the direction of the government we'd be sorted. :pac:

spaczed wrote: »
    If it wasn't snowing yesterday, this would be considered mass bullying.

well yeah if they were throwing rocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Kirnsy wrote: »
    well yeah if they were throwing rocks?
    I think he means thowing water on people, which in a way is right but very selective.

Bah , I'd say the vast majority of everyone who was out the was having fun just messing about, but as always there are a select group of people who take everything just a little to far .These are what I like to call idiots, and I'd say most people out there were only in for having a good time with other people having a good time.

We could pigeon hole them into scumbags or rascals but as in real life it is not simple to distinguish.People who went that little to far have that little bit of badness in them that tries to get away with if they can , but most of the people out there were only in for having a good time.

I do feel for those people who felt abused , but there are bad people out there and unfortunately of of 20 something thousand people in UCD , there are so bad people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I think he means thowing water on people, which in a way is right but very selective.

Bah , I'd say the vast majority of everyone who was out the was having fun just messing about, but as always there are a select group of people who take everything just a little to far .These are what I like to call idiots, and I'd say most people out there were only in for having a good time with other people having a good time.

We could pigeon hole them into scumbags or rascals but as in real life it is not simple to distinguish.People who went that little to far have that little bit of badness in them that tries to get away with if they can , but most of the people out there were only in for having a good time.

I do feel for those people who felt abused , but there are bad people out there and unfortunately of of 20 something thousand people in UCD , there are so bad people here.
    exactly yah.

i just think the noise they made for awhile outside library is ridiculous - we are college students man,behave abit.save some pride for UCD okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Here,it was all a bit of fun. I agree they shouldn't injure anyone but I don't think anyone suffered anything more than getting a little wet. People are overeacting way too much.
    Zounds wrote: »
    McNuggy wrote: »
    ... lob a massive snow ball bout.. 10 inches in diameter on top of my laptop and completely ****in soak it ???

Seems like the evidence in thread would disagree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Raphael wrote: »
    Seems like the evidence in thread would disagree with you

I'd hardly call that 'evidence'. I guess I'm not going to change your mind but it's just people throwing frozen water. If people get this upset about snow god forbid if they had lived in times when much worse things happened.

Afaik the only ambulances called were from people slipping on the ice. I never saw that mob injure anyone. Sure,they were bullying people a bit,but it wasn't anything personal towards the victims,they just got unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Sure,they were bullying people a bit,but it wasn't anything personal towards the victims,they just got unlucky.

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

On campus,I got attacked coming out of the science building(I was unlucky enough to be holding an umbrella:rolleyes:) and I also got ambushed walking back to merville.

Greatest craic for me was at my friends house.Kids started pelting snowballs at the house so we came to back him up.Ended up being about 14 students against 6 kids.Little feckers had good aim though!One got me right in the face!

Best moment for me was when one kid became bewildered by all the extra people and goes,'Where did ye all come from?'To which one of us replied 'Yore ma!':D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

Sure,they were bullying people a bit,but it wasn't anything personal towards the victims

Since when is it ok to bully people, even a "little bit"? I love a snow ball fight with my friends as much as the next person - whatever goes on between consenting adults is fine, but targeting uninvolved persons for a little bullying in the name of fun is just not on. Is it right just because it was snowing? Or because there was a big enough bunch of people? What if instead of snow they had water balloons?

There seems to be a real split on this thread between posters who think it was all a bit harmless and those who think that a bit of bullying and snowballing people who clearly don't want to be involved in the 'fun'. There was nothing wrong with snowball fights yesterday, but rather the mob mentality and the scary viciousness with which the crowd redoubled efforts on people who were running away was honestly scary to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Walking towards the student centre yesterday saw a girl being hit with, what can only be desribed as a boulder of ice. She turned and quite angrily told the pack of guys to "cop on". They all laughed and continuted hurling snowballs at her as she addressed them. As I passed I prayed one of them would hit me, as I would in my mind have had full right to box whomever threw the snow square in the face.

Advertisement