Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Snow Snow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Bright Eyes & eoin2nc infracted - it's not nice to insult people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Raphael wrote: »

lol bit serious raffa? It wasn't personal, hurtful or inflammatory. Iron fist?

BrightEyes wrote: »
    lol bit serious raffa? It wasn't personal, hurtful or inflammatory. Iron fist?
    In my experience, people who hurl things like, say, abuse or lumps of frozen water, tend to have differences in opinion about how the recipient should feel about it than, well, the recipient.

If you have a problem with the modding, then Feedback or Helpdesk is the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Throw a snowball back! If you can. ''Oh no fluffy snow has hit me ahhhh to the library!''

Believe me I would have done more than throw a ****ing snowball back at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Raphael wrote: »

Bit harsh on Bright Eyes. He was hardly 'insulting' anyone. I think you're letting your opinion on the snow mob cloud your judgement and influence your moderating.

tsk tsk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Bright Eyes. He was hardly 'insulting' anyone. I think you're letting your opinion on the snow mob cloud your judgement and influence your moderating.

tsk tsk.
    I think he wants to end this all to be honest and you are not meant to argue with a mod on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yep I say let's wrap it up. What's done is done. Water under the bridge. Let's just forget about it......unless it snows again of course :D

tsk tsk.
    Since I deleted the post I infracted him for, I'm gonna guess you think the infraction is for the post that's still here.

Also, what random_chatbox said. Any more posts discussing moderation in this thread will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I'm somewhere between sad and glad that I missed these snow mobsters... I don't like getting snow thrown at my face by anyone but friends and well-wishers, but on the other hand I've been meaning to try out my falcon punch, and since I failed assassins, it would have been nice to deal with some wrongdoers...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Indo report. Do you suppose that this kind of thing helps UCD get more money for essential activities or the SU campaign against fees. People are trying to overcome the impression that students are a crowd of spoiled brats, this hardly helps.

Violent snowball fight brings campus to a standstill
    By Caitrina Cody

Wednesday February 11 2009

A MOB of students brought chaos to the campus of a top university last week with a violent snowball fight involving hundreds of people. Gangs of UCD students launched attacks on cyclists and pedestrians at the college campus in Belfield, Dublin 4.

According to students, last Thursday's intensive snowfall sparked a campus-wide snowball fight that saw lectures disrupted and individuals surrounded by gangs armed with snow.

The entire college was officially closed at 5pm and gardai were called to the scene, but a college spokesperson has denied any connection between the fights and the early closure.

One science student said members of his class were stranded inside the Science Department in an effort to avoid what he said was a gang of close to 100 students lying in wait.

Surrounded

"We tried to leave, but as soon as we went outside we were surrounded by people launching snowballs at us," he said.

It is understood that the Quinn School of Business bore the brunt of the attacks, when a group of students entered the building to throw snowballs at students and staff.

UCD Students' Union President Aodhan O'Dea said that what was initially a friendly game spiralled out of control.

According to a UCD spokesperson, four complaints have so far been made in relation to snowballing at the college but the early closure was unrelated to the incidents.

"Following information bulletins from Met Eireann announcing heavy snow throughout the afternoon, the university, in line with advice issued by the AA and the gardai, wished to enable staff and students to arrive home early in order to ensure their safety," he said.

- Caitrina Cody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

That article is pretty damn hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 xniamhx

graduate wrote: »

One science student said members of his class were stranded inside the Science Department in an effort to avoid what he said was a gang of close to 100 students lying in wait.

Surrounded

"We tried to leave, but as soon as we went outside we were surrounded by people launching snowballs at us," he said.

hahaha

Dublin rarely gets snow like that so I think people are over reacting slightly. Not that it is really harsh to target people walking by themselves when they have no line of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

In fairness, while the original events weren't funny, ya gotta laugh at the way it is put in the Indo article: 'gangs armed with snow' :rolleyes:

Also, nice to see the Independent newspapers stable being able to repeat stories from other sources again, this one more or less straight from the Uni Observer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

spaczed wrote: »
    Also, nice to see the Independent newspapers stable being able to repeat stories from other sources again, this one more or less straight from the Uni Observer!
    In fairness they managed to 'upgrade' the figures a bit:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gN_IBwGvM

i find this video shocking. if this isnt bullying or harrassment, i honestly dont know what is. shocking behaviour by ucd students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gN_IBwGvM

i find this video shocking. if this isnt bullying or harrassment, i honestly dont know what is. shocking behaviour by ucd students.

Well, it's not bullying or harassment. It's assault. The perpetrators are idiots, blame their parents.

spaczed wrote: »
    In fairness, while the original events weren't funny, ya gotta laugh at the way it is put in the Indo article: 'gangs armed with snow' :rolleyes:

I wonder why any newspaper would copy from the UCD oberserver. It's utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Donny5 wrote: »
    Well, it's not bullying or harassment. It's assault. The perpetrators are idiots, blame their parents.

They're adults, blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

graduate wrote: »

According to a UCD spokesperson, four complaints have so far been made in relation to snowballing at the college but the early closure was unrelated to the incidents.
    oh no they didnt!!:eek::eek::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hatthehat

He's not hurting anyone but himself (both from the scrotal shrinkage and the potential rabies), whereas the snow mob were hurting others, damaging the property of others and generally pissing people off. There is a difference.

I was in that so called snow-mob or gathering of brilliance then after it all faded away I was left with a half bus ride home and another back so I jumped in the pond or lake for a change of clothes good times. Wrecking things was the best part of it all, opening car door throwing **** in good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Hatthehat wrote: »
    I was in that so called snow-mob or gathering of brilliance then after it all faded away I was left with a half bus ride home and another back so I jumped in the pond or lake for a change of clothes good times. Wrecking things was the best part of it all, opening car door throwing **** in good times.

DIAF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Hatthehat wrote: »
    opening car door throwing **** in good times.

Things like this is why you're a retard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

This was on FM104 this morn on the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Lol people act as if snow is dangerous! Such uptight sad bastards. They have their heads so far up their asses (this thread they show themselves) that it comes back out the the top of their neck and makes them look normal. These people are then walking around our city and campus thinking they can give opinions! Leave us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭stardust_dublin

its more to do about how the people acted than anything else. have you watched the videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Lol people act as if snow is dangerous! Such uptight sad bastards. They have their heads so far up their asses (this thread they show themselves) that it comes back out the the top of their neck and makes them look normal. These people are then walking around our city and campus thinking they can give opinions! Leave us!
    Keep trolling and they will not be the ones leaving us.

Keep trolling and they will not be the ones leaving us.

He's right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

I fail to see why people are being uptight bastards for not wanting to have snow thrown at them by total strangers when they're trying to go to college.

Snow is a bit of a laugh alright, but some people always take it too far. Some people carried on in a ridiculous way. People who threw snowballs at people might have thought it was hilarious, but the people who were hit might not have. differentiate between having a laugh with their friends and firing stuff at unwilling participants

I fail to see why people are being uptight bastards for not wanting to have snow thrown at them by total strangers when they're trying to go to college.

Snow is a bit of a laugh alright, but some people always take it too far. Some people carried on in a ridiculous way. People who threw snowballs at people might have thought it was hilarious, but the people who were hit might not have. differentiate between having a laugh with their friends and firing stuff at unwilling participants

Yeh but as you said,it was hilarious for some people and not for others. That doesn't make the people who thought it was hilarious wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This is exactly how it should be, but the people in those videos shown are quite easily just morons.
    Yeh but as you said,it was hilarious for some people and not for others. That doesn't make the people who thought it was hilarious wrong.

Yeah, its hilarious throwing snowballs at those who don't want to participate isn't it?:rolleyes:

What Princess-Sparkle is saying, or at least from what I understand, is that it would have been a lot more fun for everyone who was messing around with the snow, to throw it at each other. Why were random passer-by's attacked? As I said earlier in the thread, yes, I threw snowballs, but only at other people flinging snow. Surely it can't be too hard to draw the line at people who want to mess, and those who don't.

Another story, walking down the concourse that day, some lad was roughly 3 feet from a girl who was walking up alone, lets her go bout a foot beyond him, then flings a snowball at her, hits her in the face, turns to his mates sheepishly and goes 'Come on, lets go!'. Yeah, big man he is flinging snowballs at an unwilling passer-by...now how do you see that as deadly, or having some craic?

Advertisement