Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go to work today? Will you go tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You're right, it was completely safe. That's why thousands of people were left stranded in airports, planes are always cancelled when it's safe to fly. That's why I barely went past 2nd gear on the M50, that's why I could barely drive my car in a straight line, that's why I couldn't see more than 5 cars in front of me, that's why I saw the car back ended by a truck this morning. Yep, wasn't a bother on the road I tells ya.

Were you flying your car in second gear down the M50 or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

I cycled in this morning. Applying a little common sense I managed to do it safely and with no incident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

humbert wrote: »
    Were you flying your car in second gear down the M50 or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

I cycled in this morning. Applying a little common sense I managed to do it safely and with no incident.
    So because you cycled to worked without falling off it's completely safe? Were you cycling a 2 tonne car or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

So because you cycled to worked without falling off it's completely safe? Were you cycling a 2 tonne car or are you comparing completely different modes of transport?

The point is he or she made every effort rather than being a lazy fuk who thought the world owed them a living.
    IMO.

Once again I was applying a little common sense. Both a plane and a bicycle(and not a mountain bike in my case) are more susceptible to a slippy road than a car. Also there is more snow/ice on the less travelled part of the roads cyclists occupy and surely the m50 was gritted and with the amount of traffic, free of lying snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The morning wasn't too bad. But on my route home this evening (530-830), anybody cycling by choice would have been pretty daft, the conditions were extremely treacherous. I myself saw one lad come off a scooter, and he wasn't going fast.

I assume most people are not talking about bunking off work, rather working from home (me) or taking the day off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

God, I can't believe it here, there was barely 6 inches of snow and shops were closed, buses weren't running, and neither was the tube.
    It's friggin' underground. How can snow stop it?

God forbid, we lived in a country where it snowed all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

I live in the countryside, I'm sure most of you do, as you know not so many cars travel upon the roads in my area. I arrived home at lunchtime today and decided not to return purely because the roads I travelled on where a death trap.

I plan to work in the morning as I cannot afford to lose a days pay, though I realise there is going to even further snowfall thru out the night so it may be a bad decision to attempt to drive.

Where the hell are the local authorties clearing the roads when you need them, if you visit America, okay they get it on a regular basis thru winter and prepared, but nothing is left unturned the trucks are out clearing the roads every few minutes. It's a shame similar action isn't take at times like this here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When I were lad blah blah blah, young un's dese days..dun't know dey're born

stovelid wrote: »
    The morning wasn't too bad. But on my route home this evening (530-830), anybody cycling by choice would have been pretty daft, the conditions were extremely treacherous. I myself saw one lad come off a scooter, and he wasn't going fast.

I assume most people are not talking about bunking off work, rather working from home (me) or taking the day off.

I don't know your route home but I cycled home around 18:10 and once again no problem. Well my hands were motherfucking cold but that just means I should buy some better gloves.

I do appreciate than some people will not adapt to the conditions and will have accidents. I also accept that that makes it more treacherous for the rest of us but I don't accept that that is reason enough to stay in bed.

• Advertisement

Once again I was applying a little common sense. Both a plane and a bicycle(and not a mountain bike in my case) are more susceptible to a slippy road than a car. Also there is more snow/ice on the less travelled part of the roads cyclists occupy and surely the m50 was gritted and with the amount of traffic, free of lying snow?

Common sense is great, but if you were cycling on a less travelled part of the road then you didn't show much common sense did you? Because in this weather you're more susceptible to slip and cause an accident, that's when you meet my two tonne car. TBH if I had of come across a cyclist on the road this morning I would have called them a fúcking idiot.

Surely you know what the M50 was like this morning? How could you possibly come to the conclusion that it's safe to drive if you didn't know such a simple thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

I was on a bus for 7 hours in total today. Normally only 2 hours. Fun times.

Common sense is great, but if you were cycling on a less travelled part of the road then you didn't show much common sense did you? Because in this weather you're more susceptible to slip and cause an accident, that's when you meet my two tonne car. TBH if I had of come across a cyclist on the road this morning I would have called them a fúcking idiot.

Surely you know what the M50 was like this morning? How could you possibly come to the conclusion that it's safe to drive if you didn't know such a simple thing?

I'm not going to slip and cause an accident because I'm going to cycle cautiously and because I'm a competent cyclist, even on a less travelled part of the road. If you're willing to get behind the wheel of your 2 tonne car you should be able to say the same.

The second paragraph is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

It snowed a lot here ,loopy, but it didn't stick.:(
    Now it's raining.:mad:

/ bloody snow hardly ever sticks on the east coast.

Im in southside Dublin Sharpy and its sticking:pac:.... Lie on, bacon sambos for brekkie and watch oprah and all kinds of crap on TV tommorow... Cant wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I walk to work, so yes I will be in work tomorrow.

I'm not going to slip and cause an accident because I'm going to cycle cautiously and because I'm a competent cyclist, even on a less travelled part of the road. If you're willing to get behind the wheel of your 2 tonne car you should be able to say the same.

The second paragraph is just daft.
    So you're saying the only people who crash are the ones who drive callously and are incompetent? And that you won't crash because you're cautious and competent?

Riiight, so you're pretty much guaranteed to never ever be in a crash.... ever? Wow man, that's like a superpower almost. You could market that, maybe where a cape? Can I sit on your cross bar in the morning seeing as you're guaranteed to not slip on your bike that's more susceptible to slipping in snow and ice than a car?

You're my hero man. I'm going to tell all my friends.

• Advertisement

So you're saying the only people who crash are the ones who drive callously and are incompetent? And that you won't crash because you're cautious and competent?

Riiight, so you're pretty much guaranteed to never ever be in a crash.... ever? Wow man, that's like a superpower almost. You could market that, maybe where a cape? Can I sit on your cross bar in the morning seeing as you're guaranteed to not slip on your bike that's more susceptible to slipping in snow and ice than a car?

You're my hero man. I'm going to tell all my friends.

Phew, I think at last we understand each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Im in southside Dublin Sharpy and its sticking:pac:.... Lie on, bacon sambos for brekkie and watch oprah and all kinds of crap on TV tommorow... Cant wait!!
    :(
    / still raining.
    Had today off, so I guess I can't begrudge you tomorrow.
    / or as it's after 12:00,today.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

just home from work after driving in seriously treacherous conditions (at one stage, I could barely see the car in front of me). But because I value my job, I'm still gonna go to work tomorrow.

Each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Normally it takes me an hour or so each way. Today it was three hours in and five hours out.

It really depends on where you are, where you are going and how much snow or ice is around you. No matter how awsome a cyclist you may be you won't be commuting very far in Kildare or west Wicklow with conditions the way they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

its bucketing down snow at the min in leixlip, and is adding to the 4-5 inches from today already stuck, so will be even higher tomorrow-took my neighbour 4 hours to get from ballsbridge to leixlip this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭nevershutsup

I didnt go to college today and i wont go tomorrow. Not that its anything to do with the snow.

im exactly the same...
    i wasn't pushed going today then the college text to say class was cancelled as the lecturer had an accident (he is ok) ... class got a snow day...

i wont be in tommorrow because i have every tuesday off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

those very people you serve will need hot toddys after their snowball fights and snowmen building....

i hope you made a snowman when you came home too

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine hot whiskeys will be flying out tomorrow.

Ah I wish. Was too tired and cold from walking. There's always tomorrow. :D

i was out before it snowed and wasn't exactly snow dressed when i came home the furthest i got was dancing around in the snow on my walk from the bus stop...

might even try a hot toddy...

a snowman will be made tommorrow by me ... (not a spectacular one just a little one like me:))

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

yeah, i'm in work now

saying that, it took 45 mins to travel about 2 miles in leixlip, snow was that thick

suddenly so glad i do not drive...

hope the shift goes well agent smith and the drive home not so long....

im off t try win a round with insomnia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Who the hell works nowadays?

Snow laughing matter young man.

me and uploading photos are a disaster at the best of times...

if i make one tommorrow i will definitly take a photo and try my best to upload it...

game on....

now i must try sleep goodnight all...

p.s although it is raining now:eek::mad: i hope the snow stays

• Advertisement

Well it looks like the gods decided for me!! Because I can't even get out of my estate due to amount of slush and ice, neighbour was the same, she asked me to give her a push but if he car can't get any traction I don't see how my feet would get traction to push her car!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Well it looks like the gods decided for me!! Because I can't even get out of my estate due to amount of slush and ice, neighbour was the same, she asked me to give her a push but if he car can't get any traction I don't see how my feet would get traction to push her car!!
    Must be a huge difference in weather to here (southside Dublin) then. There was a bit of drizzle here, but zero snow and nothing that fell yesterday stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm heading to college in a bit... should be fun...

I'm just hoping some c*nt doesn't rear-end me :mad:

Blowfish wrote: »
    Must be a huge difference in weather to here (southside Dublin) then. There was a bit of drizzle here, but zero snow and nothing that fell yesterday stuck.
    I'm in Tallaght, but I'm halfway up the moutain so I guess it's worse up here. Where in South Dublin are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm in Tallaght, but I'm halfway up the moutain so I guess it's worse up here. Where in South Dublin are you?
    Pretty close to the coast, near Dun Laoghaire. I'm in the City Center now though and it's exactly the same, wet but no snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

I made it into work without any bother... slow and steady on the side roads. Still seen loads of people stomping on the accerator though... as if that's the way to drive in snow (although I wish I had an empty car park this morning to do a few donuts in!!!).

On a slightly different topic... I wonder if many people went out on the piss last night hoping to use the snow as an excuss to stay home this morning?

Blowfish wrote: »
    Pretty close to the coast, near Dun Laoghaire. I'm in the City Center now though and it's exactly the same, wet but no snow.
    Well, I look out my window and the fields are pure white, it's just started to snow again too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Not fair. We haven't had any snow in Galway at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Not in work, but I went to school yesterday. Can't get in today because I haven't seen a bus in 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think the last two mornings have been a pleasure to drive in. For the first time in a really long time the roads had **** all people on it and I actually made it into work early. I for one welcome the fact that people who can't drive are finally staying off the roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Came in today. Got in early thank God so I'll get home at a reasonable hour this evening hopefully even if there are delays.
    2 hrs 35 mins Dublin to Kells last night on a bus was not pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sounds right. I'm in Saggart village, and it was still pretty heavy there when I left. Still got out though. The roads were pretty empty this morning: looks like most people decided to sleep on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm only a 20min walk from work so no reason for me not to head in. Even if there were blizzard conditions outside I'd still attempt to make it in. Unless you're dying or have some valid reason to keep you at home you should always try to make it into work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

can work from home now and then so stayed at home yesterday and am in today. still a good few not in today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

In college now. Got the train. There was snow falling from the sky but close to none on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

get your ass into work - my work buddy is from Tallaght and he's sitting beside me:p

I came in btw..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dodge wrote: »
    It may only have been " a little snow" but visibility was dreadful and cars could not get up motorway off ramps

Cars can, Irish drivers can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I have to head to Westport for work this evening. I hope to christ it snows like fcuk so i can cancel it. There's no fcuking way i'm driving from Galway to Westport (amd back again) with the roads in a bad condition.

/looks out window praying for snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

inforfun wrote: »
    Cars can, Irish drivers can't.

Possibly (but the lack of decent winter tyres wouldn't help). Seen some dradfully dangerous driving yesterday too...

made it in this morning. Decided to get bus as it looked like roads were slushy and missus didn't fancy drive. Direct bus didn't turn up which was annoying but slow "normal" bus made decent time. Main roads were wet but OK (roads out of the estates were still covered in snow/ice).

Once i got past inchicore there was no sign of snow/ice. A work colleague from Slane didn't make it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭galaxyminstrels

Had every intention of going into work when the battery in my car decided to go completely dead. Jump started it but kep going again. So as i would have been late for work anyway which is an hour away because of the roads i said i would try and drive my car to the garage which is an hour away as well and get everything done in one day rather than take half day today and whatever time i need tomorrow to get car fixed up as its under warranty in the garage.
    Hope my boss isn't going to be too mad at me tomorrow when i go in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement