Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird text message from weird number

Options
  • 02-02-2009 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi
    Recieved a text message earlier today from this number 01413546607
    Message says Please Contact the following number urgently 00441413546607 and says to quote a reference number
    Have no idea what it is and Im afraid to ring the number as Im on bill pay and dont know if its a scam and will cost hundreds a minute to ring

Anyone else get this text?
    Any idea what it is?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's possibly a Glasgow number, but I would ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I wouldn't ring it either, you could be signing up for a premium text service or something like that.

Ignore it. If its someone you know they will send another message with their name on it.

Did you try googling the number? or a phrase from the text? It might bring up something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lfcefc

Thanks a lot guys its obviously some sort of scam
    One thing bugging me though , my number is ex directory so how would they have got it?
    Dont give my number out at all, could someone have put my number in somewhere or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lfcefc wrote: »
    Hi
    Message says Please Contact the following number urgently 00441413546607 and says to quote a reference number
    Have no idea what it is and Im afraid to ring the number as Im on bill pay and dont know if its a scam and will cost hundreds a minute to ring

Any idea what it is?
    google the number and it looks like some telemarketing/call centre and the number is from glasgow and they are probably picking random numbers or using an auto diarer of some kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Sounds suspicious, but I vaguely recall someone else here getting a similar message that turned out to be from their credit card company, wanting to talk to them about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

They just texted you, and didn't make the effort to actually ring?

If it was so urgent, they'd have left you a voice mail. Ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

Thanks a lot guys its obviously some sort of scam
    One thing bugging me though , my number is ex directory so how would they have got it?
    Dont give my number out at all, could someone have put my number in somewhere or something?

random number generation - 087/6/5 + ******* ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Hi

Any idea what it is?

Got one yesterday too.

It JBDR (JB Debt Recovery)

Look them up, just ignore them, thats what im planning to do anyway. And DO NOT give them any details and DO NOT acknowledge the debt.

Can you think of any bills you didn't pay, in a previous dwelling maybe sky. Thats what mines about.

What im going to do is if they start ringing. Say im someone else, if it continues threaten legal action. What ive read they don't like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

hblock21 wrote: »
    Got one yesterday too.

It JBDR (JB Debt Recovery)

Look them up, just ignore them, thats what im planning to do anyway. And DO NOT give them any details and DO NOT acknowledge the debt.

Can you think of any bills you didn't pay, in a previous dwelling maybe sky. Thats what mines about.

What im going to do is if they start ringing. Say im someone else, if it continues threaten legal action. What ive read they don't like that!

I'd say any legitimate debt recovery crowd would use more conventional contact means than ambiguous text messages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lfcefc

Got another one today with JBDR in the text from same number
    No Ive definately no outstanding debts with anyone so Im a bit confused now
    Im not going to bother ringing them, If they want me that badly they can ring me instead of sending me text messages
    Just a quick question, Why would a dept recovery service in the UK be appointed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Could be a debt recovery service in Ireland, who use a UK call centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

report them to the malicious calls bureau 1800 689 689

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WGilly

Yep, got the very same at 16:49 asking to contact JBDR on same # as yours, and also from same 01 #......weird

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does anyone know which companies typically use JBDR - i.e. Vodafone, o2 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

No one will ever contact you by phone out of the blue about debt collection or anything similar. Most likely all that will happen is you will get through to a number that costs something rediculous like 20euro a minute.

I'd just ignore it if its important they would send you a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

hopefully not a debt collection agency but if it is the worst advice anyone can give you is to ignore debt collection agency. Might not mean much now but if they affect your credit rating you could feel reprecussions in future. I have seen in work lodgements made against people who did not reply to debt notices. Maybe they feel they have a justifiable reason for not paying but no contact gives them a reason to think they are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭musky

ignore it,

does anyone know if you can block certain numbers from ringing you?

hickory wrote: »
    the worst advice anyone can give you is to ignore debt collection agency. Might not mean much now but if they affect your credit rating you could feel reprecussions in future. I have seen in work lodgements made against people who did not reply to debt notices.

That is very true. However, as you said, these people did not reply to debt notices - i.e. some form of written communication.

I would wait until you were contacted in writing by the debt collection agency, before making contact with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dudara wrote: »
    That is very true. However, as you said, these people did not reply to debt notices - i.e. some form of written communication.

I would wait until you were contacted in writing by the debt collection agency, before making contact with them.

Debt collection agencys only contact people via telephone (voice call) and by letter, they should not be contacting anyone by txt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Cabaal wrote: »
    Debt collection agencys only contact people via telephone (voice call) and by letter, they should not be contacting anyone by txt.
    Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment; Why not? What's so different about text that makes it unnaceptable for contact of this type?

I presume their thinking on it is that they can cast a wide net by texting en-masse, and when someone responds by phone, it confirms that person's contact info and enables them to call that number with a reasonable expectation that it's the person they're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If things are really urgent then they ring you.

I remember my mates old man convined he had won millions when he got some letter in the door, he finally saw some sense (I think) when I said if they really wanted to let you know you won a million they might have forked out the few quid for registered post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There are laws for companies chasing consumers for money. I wouldnt call back, even if you do owe money. It's an awful sly practise by whoever is doing it. Plus it's highly unlikely a judge would accept is as reasonable effort to contact a debtor in default

Contact the telecoms regulator and the data protection office either way as it may fall into the category of unsolicited spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm pretty sure i've dealt with them before when switching electricity suppliers in britland, and there was a mix up in the meter reading between the companies. when i called, i asked for an address so that i could put it all in writing, but they wouldn't play ball at all. if they keep it to phone calls then it suits them as they will have a record but you will very unlikely have any way to record them. i ended up just bypassing them and dealing with the companies themselves.
    also..... why would whoever you may owe a debt to use a company from outside the jurisdiction?

also..... why would whoever you may owe a debt to use a company from outside the jurisdiction?

Because they're cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

dudara wrote: »
    Does anyone know which companies typically use JBDR - i.e. Vodafone, o2 etc
    i know sky and eircom
    had a house mate didnt pay anything
    they try to contact u for half a year by phone
    after that they sent u letters with the same messages in it
    after that they come and visit u on the most horrible times
    last there was one sitting in his car waiting until someone was back home
    they are the most arrogant animals in this country
    its very difficult to get rit of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

JBDR are a uk company who collect debts for the ESB, I am currently paying them back for a bill from 6 years ago. It is legitemate, and the bill is from my college days. As for ringing, i e-mailed and told them that if they wished to speak to me i would be available if they rang. I told them i was not paying for them to take my money, and they regulary fail to ring.
    A slightly shody operation yet they can issue court orders so beware

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Wine_Guy wrote: »
    JBDR are a uk company who collect debts for the ESB, I am currently paying them back for a bill from 6 years ago. It is legitemate, and the bill is from my college days. As for ringing, i e-mailed and told them that if they wished to speak to me i would be available if they rang. I told them i was not paying for them to take my money, and they regulary fail to ring.

They can't issue squat. They can bring you to court, that's it. Besides that, completely ignore them.

They have no power in this country. Never take them seriously unless you get notice of them bringing you to court over a debt. They have no power over you and cannot effect your credit rating or anything. I would advise anyone to never deal with any debt collection agency in any way shape or form. 99.9% of them are thugs and nothing more. If you owe a debt, pay the original company only. Ignore these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Wine_Guy wrote: »

Only a Judge can issue a court order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MissFit

guys this is a debt collection company. ive had big problems with sky tv been trying to close my account with them for nearly 7 months. anyway with no contact from sky saying i owed them money they referred me straight to these people. i got a text today - so unprofessional. check out who has sent your details to them as your details could be black listed when like me you are not at fault. the debt collection company are rude and arrogant and DO NOT give them any money but find out who reported you and then contact that company direct to see why they think you owe them money. good luck!

Advertisement