Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Special Thurs 5th Feb - Medion® Akoya® E3300 D Multimedia PC

• 02-02-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Looking for a little advice on this:

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8197.htm

I haven't darkened Aldi's doors in some time so not sure what kind of pc deals they have been doing lately. I'm looking to pick up a good machine with a bit a poke for around the 400-500 euro price-tag. Will be putting Linux on it.

How does this compare to what else is out there at the moment?

**-- Specifications --**

AMD Athlon™ X2 7750 Dual-Core processor

ATI Radeon™ HD4350 DirectX® 10.1 Premium graphic card
    with 512MB graphic memory and digital video/audio output via HDMI

Massive 4GB (4096MB) DDR2 SDRAM†

640GB hard disk with GreenPower™ technology
    for storing more than 120,000 songs or photos**

Multiformat DVD/CD burner
    with DVD-RAM and Dual Layer support***

Network controller Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit/s.) on board

eSATA for connecting external SATA devices such as hard drives

8 Channel High Definition Audio****

Stylish high-gloss design

Powerful DirectX® 10.1 graphics

Huge Software Package (OEM Versions)
    Pre-installed and/or on CD/DVD and recovery DVD or CD.

* Windows Vista® Home Premium 32 Bit with new Media Centre user interface incl. Service Pack 1 (64 Bit version included on DVD)
    * Microsoft® Works® 9.0
    * Office Home and Student Trial Version 60 days test version (Internet connection required for activation). After 60 days you have to purchase a licence if you want to continue using the product.
    * MEDION® Home Cinema Suite (PowerDirector 7, PowerProducer 5, PowerDVD™ 8, Media Show 4)
    * Nero essentials (Nero Burning ROM 8 essentials, Nero Recode 3 SE essentials, Nero Express 8 essentials, Nero Vision 5 essentials)***
    * Corel® Draw Essentials 3
    * BullGuard Internet Security Pack Incl. 90 days update (free registration required) via Internet. After 90 days you have to purchase a licence if you want to receive ongoing updates.

System Recovery powered by Symantec www.symantec.com.

MEDION® data port 2
    Simple, limitless storage capacity expansion – no cables required! The MEDION® data port 2 for the HDDrive2go ultra speed hard drive. This allows easy connection of an external HDDrive2go ultra speed hard drive directly to the PC without any cables or external power supply. Includes latest SATA docking port interface technology. (HDDrive2go ultra speed hard drive, not included – sold separately)

Connectivity (front)

* 2 × USB 2.0
    * 1 × Firewire
    * 1 Microphone
    * 1 × eSATA
    * 1 × Line In Integrated USB 2.0
    * Flash memory card reader, reads and writes all current flash memory cards

Connectivity (rear)

* 2 × PS/2
    * 4 × USB 2.0
    * 1 × LAN (RJ45)
    * 1 × Firewire
    * 1 × Front Line Out
    * 1 × Back Surround Line Out
    * 1 × Side Surround Line Out
    * 1 × Centre/Subwoofer Line Out
    * 1 × Line In
    * 1 × SPDIF (opt.) Out
    * 1 × DVI-I
    * 1 × VGA
    * 1 × HDMI

Accessories included

* PS/2 keyboard
    * Optical USB mouse

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not sure what the processor is like but that graphics card is poo for anything bar older games and newer games at really low details. Just incase you thought it was good for games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

Hey man...

If you're gonna stick Linux on it, why buy a PC with Windows?

Surely you could save big by buying a new PC ready made with all the kit, but without stumping up for Windows...

Just a thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭frash

Considering getting it myself - anyone got a good reason why not to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Think I'm gonna pick one up,
    I priced pc's today, 640GB hard drive with 4GB of Ram ranged from €750-€850 in pc_w*rld. This package included a monitor say about €200...

Think the Aldi deal will work out better and you can find a good monitor online...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Can anyone confirm if those 3 slots at the back are for PCI cards ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

frash wrote: »
    Considering getting it myself - anyone got a good reason why not to?

First note that this machine is about 100 euro cheaper in Aldi in NI.

Also note that they are likely to have another one in a few weeks. Higher spec Quad core with built in TV tuner. Last time they had it was in Nov.
    See http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_7589.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

mmm tempting - its seems a very good price . I may pick one up . Havent found one that good for <€500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Trevord wrote: »
    First note that this machine is about 100 euro cheaper in Aldi in NI.

Wrong, there's no aldi in NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

heggie wrote: »
    Wrong, there's no aldi in NI

Apologies. I stand corrected. You'd have to go all the way to "the Mainland" to get it at the sterling price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

The beauty of Linux is that it requires less resources. that machine will be wasted on it will it not? There was a recent post here with a no OS system on it, speck is still very good but 1/2 price and most Linux is free.

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if those 3 slots at the back are for PCI cards ?

This unit has 2 PCI slots, 1 x PCI Express 16 slot and 1 x PCI Express 2 slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its OK for the price. Thing is though, its the sort of machine thats almost overpriced for day to day average use, but not remotely powerful enough for the latest games. You'd build a better gaming PC for the same price, or a more suitable, cheaper day to day general use machine for less. Don't forget this doesn't include a monitor, I know someone mentioned that its better then PC Worlds offers but the last time I was in there they have very similar spec'd machines, with 19/20" monitors, for about 600. Not much of a difference there, really. Plus - take into account that the 7750 is a budget processer, it is NOT a high end CPU so the equivilent priced machines in PC World nearly all use Phenom CPU's, which are much faster. A low end Intel CPU is faster then this one.

So overall its an OK price but not exceptional and hardly an amazing bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Not sure what the processor is like but that graphics card is poo for anything bar older games and newer games at really low details. Just incase you thought it was good for games.

ive a very simular 256 mb version and it handles most everything quite well actually...

is their room for a bigger card ??

is that dvd drive any use ? ( yes i know Dvd is dead thanks to external hard drives but i still rarely use them.... )

also it says i need a 1980xsomething resolution moniter...

so... got to hook it upto my t.v to change that or is it infact changable ?

Trevord wrote: »
    Also note that they are likely to have another one in a few weeks. Higher spec Quad core with built in TV tuner.

Popped into ALDI at lunchtime today & talked to manager (who had talked to his area manager yesterday) & he said that there won't be anymore desktops in Feb or in March.
    Just in case anyone was thinking of hanging on for one.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

not bad for the price.
    but check out www.ankermann-pc.de

I got a gaming PC(far better processors and card) for the same price.

Called into ALDI today but was too late & they'd all been sold already but got talking to a manager who had one of these in the storeroom.
    I bought it for 399.99.

I'm glad it has the TV Tuner card & the wireless network card (both of which I would have added to the 499 one being discussed) but am wondering if it was a good buy.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Called into ALDI today but was too late & they'd all been sold already but got talking to a manager who had one of these in the storeroom.
    I bought it for 399.99.

I'm glad it has the TV Tuner card & the wireless network card (both of which I would have added to the 499 one being discussed) but am wondering if it was a good buy.
    That card isn't great gaming wise.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t65290.html

jayteecork wrote: »

I'm not a gamer so that won't worry me.
    Thanks for the reply though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I had posted this up last month. It still looks better value to me.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055451499

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Just wondering if anyone seen the Medion 250gb Hard drive in Aldi that was on a couple of weeks back in any stores.. I checked a few and there is none !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Trx wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone seen the Medion 250gb Hard drive in Aldi that was on a couple of weeks back in any stores.. I checked a few and there is none !!

How is this relevant to this thread?

Please don't waste people's time like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SteoTheGreat

Thanks , looks like a bargin along with this I think it would be great! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

denat wrote: »
    How is this relevant to this thread?

Please don't waste people's time like this.

And you, don't be so rude! :mutter: Young people these days :/mutter:

I've been looking for an Aldi external drive for ages for someone in my family with a Medion PC - there's a good reason.
    The top of the casing is designed to accept a Medion external drive with integrated matching connectors in place, so the esata and power are in the right places to slip the drive in easily, no power or data cables necessary

Damned things sell out every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I bought it for 399.99.

I think Im going to get me one if these . Anyone know if there a limited offer .

Anyone seen them in Cork ?

Popped into ALDI at lunchtime today & talked to manager (who had talked to his area manager yesterday) & he said that there won't be anymore desktops in Feb or in March.
    Just in case anyone was thinking of hanging on for one.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8597.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-03-23-10-52

Proof if you need it that ALDI managers know nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Aldi PC's are good, and the Medion name is grand. They build decent machines. I got my PC 2 years ago and it was 600 bills. Still going strong and its not like its doing nothing - runs Far Cry 2 and such and im a computer games programmer, and it works nicely and has no problems multitasking. Never had any problems either.

Anyway. If your interested i say go for these cause they are decent machines indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

My Medion PC (also from Aldi) is still going strong four year's later, don't use it for games so expect it to do me for another four probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Hey all,

Just have a quick question regarding this PC I bought from Aldi. - same as the offer from start of thread..
    I actually purchased the PC last February but between not having a proper set up at home and generally being too fond of my laptop, I've only really started using it the last week or so..

PC seems to be running fine but in the last day or two has developed a fairly loud vibrating noise -loud enough to hear the PC humming away in the next room...! its as if theres a part wearing out, the fan maybe...??

Anyway has anyone else had this issue with this pc...? As usual cant find receipt but I think Aldi returns policy would be long gone by now...

Would I have any luck with manufacturers guarantee or maybe it might be an easy fix to get checked out..?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted..!!

Advertisement