Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in the west of ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Kerry is more south than west lol

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Pangea wrote: »
    Kerry is more south than west lol

lol , just spotted that miself .......well well :eek: :D

kerry1960 wrote: »
    lol , just spotted that miself .......well well :eek: :D
    GTFO OUT THEN !!

lol just kiddin, i myself in donegal is probably more north than west. :D

So any snow to report in the west then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Does beautiful sunshine count as snow? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JulesInKy

We had some snow here in NK in the early hours, my back garden was white up til about 7am.

I've been looking out at a blue skies and sunshine most of the morning! I'd love just one good fall of snow that lasts more than an hour or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gobbles

well I think that the chances of snow ever falling in the west of Ireland are gone. Though it was a good run while it lasted...:(:(

gobbles wrote: »
    well I think that the chances of snow ever falling in the west of Ireland are gone. Though it was a good run while it lasted...:(:(
    Hmm I disagree mate , it aint over yet ,infact it hasnt even started for us on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Hmm I disagree mate , it aint over yet ,infact it hasnt even started for us on the west coast.

Hmmm , donegal on the move again i see ,apparently just off the mayo coast atm ...:eek: :D

though i don't think it will ever start for us. Also you have to bear in mind that we are beside the sea and only ever get the leftovers of snow

• Advertisement

lol @ kerry
    though i don't think it will ever start for us. Also you have to bear in mind that we are beside the sea and only ever get the leftovers of snow

gobbles I have experienced many a heavy snowfall here in south donegal beside the sea and they were no leftovers!

lol @ kerry

gobbles I have experienced many a heavy snowfall here in south donegal beside the sea and they were no leftovers!
    well I suppose we will just have to hope for the best then:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

*waits*

Snowing light here in south donegal now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i guess i have to continuing wait until this evening or tonight. currently stuck in a dry slot between the showers over towards the west coast and the band of precipitation over towards the midlands and east.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

this week has been such a non event for the NW (unless you live in donegal!). Here's hoping that Arctic air will do something for us deprived snow people.

I put my town into the 5 day forecast on the BBC weather website and no snow for the next 5 days. I don't know how accurate it is though - I put Dublin in on Monday and it said it would have no snow either.

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it has arrived:cool:

just very light stuff so far, though. hopefully it will get heavier later on.

willy wonka, the north west should definitely see some snow before tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Snowing here in Killybegs since morning

There's a light coat on the ground :D:D

finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it has arrived:cool:

just very light stuff so far, though. hopefully it will get heavier later on.

willy wonka, the north west should definitely see some snow before tomorrow morning.

God I hope so. We had the briefest of snow flurries at about 11am - about 5 mins. Now it's raining :(

If I don't get my snow fix, I'm gonna be very sad :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7868371.stm

might as well put this here.

• Advertisement

God I hope so. We had the briefest of snow flurries at about 11am - about 5 mins. Now it's raining :(

If I don't get my snow fix, I'm gonna be very sad :(

tell me about it. after a week of disappointment so far:(

Were getting frequent snow/sleet showers here in sligo town. though the ground is wet form all the sleet. What are the chances of snow actually sticking to wet ground??

Were getting frequent snow/sleet showers here in sligo town. though the ground is wet form all the sleet. What are the chances of snow actually sticking to wet ground??

if it's gets heavy enough it may stick. however, tonight as the ground gets colder, as the frost sets in, it should start sticking. in ideal circumstances, there would be a period of clear weather to allow the frost to really set in hard then a band of showers develop and then you would definitely have a decent covering by morning.

Can't view that link on my iTouch. Has it anything to do with the stratospheric warming? I read about that on the other thread. Very interesting stuff.

Good to know we have a few chances of snow yet.
    Never give up hope! :D

if it's gets heavy enough it may stick. however, tonight as the ground gets colder, as the frost sets in, it should start sticking. in ideal circumstances, there would be a period of clear weather to allow the frost to really set in hard then a band of showers develop and then you would definitely have a decent covering by morning.
    Lets just hope so

Can't view that link on my iTouch. Has it anything to do with the stratospheric warming? I read about that on the other thread. Very interesting stuff.

Good to know we have a few chances of snow yet.
    Never give up hope! :D

A forecaster was just explaining why many parts of England were getting so much snow this week and comparing the snowfalls of the last few days with the famous snowfalls of 1963 and 1947. Those falls resulted in far more lying snow. Of course in 1963 it snowed on and off for three months and that winter was much colder than this one. so much of the snow that fell never thawed.
    He also said based on stats' it likely will be another eighteen years before England experiences something similar. However, he concluded by saying that statistics sometimes are misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Sky very dark here at the mo - fingers crossed for some white stuff!!:rolleyes:

Double post

Of course in 1963 it snowed on and off for three months and that winter was much colder than this one. so much of the snow that fell never thawed.
    He also said based on stats' it likely will be another eighteen years before England experiences something similar. However, he concluded by saying that statistics sometimes are misleading.

Wow 3 months. 18 years - that's it, Im moving to a country that's guaranteed a decent snowy winter!

• Advertisement

hmm the radio forecast just now wasn't great for tonight, showers will be confined to the west and north west coast. still, surely with the winds backing around to the north and north west, between now and saturday, we'll see some heavy snow showers over this side of the country from time to time.

Advertisement