Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in the west of ireland

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

A hill above Donegal Town - I Knew it would be fun this morning. Was out last night.. came home at midnight.. temp in car showing -2.5... then unbelieveable it started to rain! Outside this monirng is one complete sheet of ice. Donegal bypass is unreal.. even the white transit vans are crawling as I look out.

How can it rain with a temp of -2.5 :confused:.. and it was rain... not even sleet. It froze on contact with everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

went for a drive out the country yesterday and a few villages still had some snow. One estate still had their driveways covered in snow. It was lovely to see. Considering it stopped snowing Sunday morning and we've had sunshine since, it was impressive they still had some snow.

Now gonna sit back and hope this stratospheric warming can bring us some more lovely white stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

met.ie:
    Today

Cold this afternoon, with sunny spells everywhere, and with some places bright and sunny throughout. Scattered heavy showers also, mainly in the northwest, west and south - some of these will be of hail or snow. Highest temperatures 3 to 7 C.

Tonight

Very cold tonight, with widespread frost and a risk of ice and fog patches. Further scattered wintry showers in the north and northwest - may give a covering of snow in places there. Dry in most other areas, with the showers in the west and south largely dying out. Lowest temperatures between + 2 and - 4 C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

our garden is still mostly coverd in snow, todays thaw failed to make much of an impact in the shade., 9th day of lying snow here.

there is still about a half an inch in the shade here. i'd say it'll be all gone by Friday unless we get an unexpected fall in the meantime. tonight has been progged as our best chance this week, but there has been no showers here today and i can't see there being any snow showers tonight either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

there is still about a half an inch in the shade here. i'd say it'll be all gone by Friday unless we get an unexpected fall in the meantime. tonight has been progged as our best chance this week, but there has been no showers here today and i can't see there being any snow showers tonight either.

there is a big band of precipitation off the south west coast..no mention of this in the forecast on meteireann? are the radars right about this? both the met office and meteireann are showing them.

there is a big band of precipitation off the south west coast..no mention of this in the forecast on meteireann? are the radars right about this? both the met office and meteireann are showing them.

it's hard to see how they could be wrong given it's rather active band of precipitation detected by both radars. met eireann certainly didn't forecast that band of precipitation in the south west. they forecasted showers in costal counties of the north and north west and for it to be clear everywhere else. if the radars are correct then kerry1960 should be having rain, hail, sleet or snow showers right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Had a look at this, I believe the area of rain is a warm front moving slowly east and likely to remain over Ireland through the night and into Wednesday, making very slow progress but probably making the current forecast somewhat prone to busting ...

Would revise forecast to read, tonight, becoming mostly cloudy except in the northeast, milder than recent nights, a period of rain or drizzle likely in many areas, lows 2-4 C, except -3 to zero C in areas north of Dublin where frost or freezing fog may develop. Then tomorrow, continuing cloudy and somewhat milder than recent days, highs 7-10 C except 4-6 C in the northeast.

Rain is likely to be mostly on the light side, 2-5 mms, and becoming intermittent later on.

Advertisement