Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking groups ?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Are there any walking clubs around the city/county that do Sunday / Weekend outings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The mountaineering/hill walking club in the college head out on sunday mornings as far as im aware..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Xiney wrote: »

Reminds me of when Homer was looking to buy a hammock, thanks folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Cole

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Hi,
    The Galway Walking club has a newish website (http://galwaywalkingclub.wordpress.com/) and meet in Tonery's pub in Bohermor (about 7 mins walk from Eyre Square) every second Thursday at 8.30pm. The next meeting is tomorriow evening and the following one (on the 19th) will be a fairlt social one (cheese & wine , chat, etc).

I've been a member for a few years so feel free to ask any questions,

BR,
    John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Hi Monasette

Great website and some beautiful looking walks and photos. I think I would be a bit shy walking into a pub to meet a group of people.

Looking at the schedules, it seems you do one or two walks a month. Are there opportunities for weekly outings?

thanka again

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

There is a walk every week. It alternates between a flat walk and a hill walk (so if you only do flat walks, there is a walk every two weeks). After a while, some members organize their own walks when there isn't an official one on.

The good thing about the club is that there are a lot of social outings (weekends away, etc) - I can recommend them as a way of getting to know people.

It's possible to show up on a morning of a walk and join there and then (or come as a guest) - it's a good way of meeting people. I didn't know a single person in the club when I joined - they are a very friendly and welcoming bunch.

I will most likely be at Feb 19th meeting [I'm supposed to be giving a slide show of pictures from previous walks] so if you want, I can arrange to introduce you to the committee and members (it will be a cheese & wine thing, so it's a relaxed way of meeting people). My contact details are at http://www.johnsmyth.ie/contact.html

BR,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

You could try www.lakedistricthwc.com for info on there walks. 2 walks a month small friendly group with members from Mayo and Galway

Advertisement