Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein these days

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

K-9 wrote: »
    +

So you condone killing UNARMED Gardai, or see it as acceptable?

PS. It's 9 murderers, JON was a tad selective.

No, I'm just catching you out on a selective interpretation of the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bambi wrote: »
    You'd want to be really observant alright because that link you posted doesnt mention if the gardai who died were armed or not. Of course the ability to observe stuff that doesnt exist is a unique attribute only found among donegal gardai as the mcbrearty tribunal found out :)

Det. McCabe wasn't unarmed when he was shot, unless of course random ALL CAPS change the meaning of a word to it's opposite

Maybe I know more about what happened than you did.

There was a recent series on RTE explaining what happened, though I was aware of the facts before.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

No, I'm just catching you out on a selective interpretation of the truth

Selective? Do explain. 6 is incorrect, selective if you will.

PS. Stop picking on points and answer the substance, stop evading.

FTA69 can answer a simple question, Respect.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm saying he was targetted for personal reasons by an individual member of the gang.

And?

Of course you you could say shooting an UNARMED Guard in the back is wrong, as is shooting a man point blank in the face, ala RUC Shoot to killers is wrong, but OH Know You Didn't is more fun.

When did I say it wasn't?

You have a very annoying habit of putting words in peoples mouths.

You claimed that every cop shot by the IRA was unnarmed. Thats clearly not true. No-one is saying that justifies anything, but you have gone off on one here and its not helping your case at all.

• Advertisement

When did I say it wasn't?

No, you tried to justify McCabes killing on hearsay, Because an IRA member didn't like him.

SAD.

Anyway, can we all agree, 1 IRA Member shot an Unarmed Guard in the back and another in the body. While he lay on the ground, unarmed, he was shot, point blank (like Shoot to kill RUC'ers), in the face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i cant understand the refusal to release these men under the good friday agreement if they were qualified for it.
    Forgetting the arguments of armed/unarmed or that he was a garda,didnt RUC widows have to see the killers released.Didnt Civilans and combatants families in the North all have to see killers released?

Can anyone explain simply without an agenda why the killing of a guard differed on either side of the border

No, you tried to justify McCabes killing on hearsay, Because an IRA member didn't like him.

SAD.

What was that I said about putting words in peoples mouths?

I'm just saying there is a lot more to the McCabe killing than you are claiming. Which leads me to believe there is probably more to some of the other ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Anyway, can we all agree, 1 IRA Member shot an Unarmed Guard in the back and another in the body. While he lay on the ground, unarmed, he was shot, point blank (like Shoot to kill RUC'ers), in the face?
    which Garda in the link, was shot in the back while he lay on the ground?

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    i cant understand the refusal to release these men under the good friday agreement if they were qualified for it.
    Forgetting the arguments of armed/unarmed or that he was a garda,didnt RUC widows have to see the killers released.Didnt Civilans and combatants families in the North all have to see killers released?

Can anyone explain simply without an agenda why the killing of a guard differed on either side of the border

Well forgetting a big argument being armed/Unarmed, one is the enemy, the other shouldn't be.

Well forgetting a big argument being armed/Unarmed, one is the enemy, the other shouldn't be.

Gerry McCabe was not unarmed.

At least you aren't using caps this time though.

TOMASJ wrote: »
    which Garda in the link, was shot in the back while he lay on the ground?

1 IRA Member shot an Unarmed Guard in the back and another in the body.
    That is what I said.

Anyway, I'll get you links if needed.

We agree, they were unarmed?

thats not what i asked.I asked why werent they released?

Gerry McCabe was not unarmed.

At least you aren't using caps this time though.

Anything else to comment on my quote, or are you going to continue to be selective. Can you see the difference between an armed RUC Officer and an Unarmed Guard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm saying he was targetted for personal reasons by an individual member of the gang.

OK. I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

That means, however, that

a) it was murder - "he was targetted"
    b) it was NOT an IRA murder - "for personal reasons"

And it would also answer raven's question as to why they weren't released; it was a personal vendetta murder instead of part of an - alleged - IRA robbery operation.

So - as I asked already - how in God's name did SF decide it was appropriate to campaign for his release under the GFA or get photographed with him ?

I await FTA69's response. No bull**** with him.

Anything else to comment on my quote, or are you going to continue to be selective. Can you see the difference between an armed RUC Officer and an Unarmed Guard?

raven136 asked about the killers of Det McCabe not being released under the GFA. You said it was because he was unarmed. That is unambigiously not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

That is what I said.

IRA Member shot an Unarmed Guard in the back and another in the body. While he lay on the ground,We agree, they were unarmed?
    Just curious as when this happened, as I never heard of this before.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    OK. I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

That means, however, that

a) it was murder - "he was targetted"
    b) it was NOT an IRA murder - "for personal reasons"

And it would also answer raven's question as to why they weren't released; it was a personal vendetta murder instead of part of an - alleged - IRA robbery operation.

So - as I asked already - how in God's name did SF decide it was appropriate to campaign for his release under the GFA or get photographed with him ?

Why SF campaigned for the killers release is a question you would have to ask them.

My understanding is that during the robbery an individual member of the IRA gang recognised Det McCabe and decided to kill him over an incident from McCabes Branch days. The robbery was then abandoned. Witnesses heard a northern accent screaming at the shooter asking him what he was doing.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    thats not what i asked.I asked why werent they released?

Because the killing happened after the ceasefire and therefore did not fall under the GFA release scheme, or amnesty. was not officially sanctioned etc.

TOMASJ wrote: »
    That is what I said.

Just curious as when this happened, as I never heard of this before.

Might have been Gda. Reynolds killing.

It was the one were the young lad identified the murderer. About 82, high profile case.

Because the killing happened after the ceasefire and therefore did not fall under the GFA release scheme, or amnesty. was not officially sanctioned etc.

FTA 69 Differs. Explain?

FTA 69 Differs. Explain?

About what?

edit.

he says it was an IRA operation - but it was not claimed as such at the time. hence the IRA could not 'claim' them under the amnesty

thats grand,all i wanted to know

About what?

Read back. I got a straight answer from him.

It was sanctioned.

Post No.193.

Read back. I got a straight answer from him.

It was sanctioned.

I'll take his word for it. But it was not claimed as an operation at the time, hence they served their sentences and weren't released.

About what?

edit.

he says it was an IRA operation - but it was not claimed as such at the time. hence the IRA could not 'claim' them under the amnesty

But SF campaigned for bank robbers release?

• Advertisement

I'll take his word for it. But it was not claimed as an operation at the time, hence they served their sentences and weren't released.

Hence the confusion and double standards. You must see it as as a logical person?

Advertisement