Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you recommend the E71?

• 03-02-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Thinking about picking one of these up as I miss my iphone but don't want to spend more money on a phone thats the exact same just with 3g. I'm upgrading from a C905.

Whats the keyboard like? Internet browser? Email app or how well does the gmail app integrate? Reception and battery life?

Thanking you!:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

lol, battery life, you don't even know the meaning of the word!!!....I got from thursday till tuesday without a recharge...and yes I was using it:)

kicks the ass off the c905, not in the camera department but in evey other way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

How would the camera compare then? Similar to the k800 3.2mp? Useable? While I love the 8mp of the C905... I could live with less in exchange for more features.

C905 camera is the best, the pictures are way better than the e71, no comparison......can't you keep both...C905 for weddings and the e71 for everything else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Yep...
    Camera sucks, but everything else is way up there!
    The E71 hasn't won so many awards for nothing! Boygeniusreport didn't call it the 'best phone Nokia ever made' for nothing!
    Camera? Well: it's the E61/E61I REPLACER and the E61 didn't even have a camera! But, it's bad! If you need a cam in your phone for more than a snapshot in ideal light, forget the e71 (although I have read the newer fw updates at least eliminate the purple tinge...)!

Keyboard's excellent unless you have big big fingers.
    Browser could be a tad faster, but it delivers full flash integration: youtube, google video, you name it, it plays it... And for a speedy browse, there are numerous free browsers available - opera mini, teashark, jb5...

The gmail apps works great too. Unlike with earlier versions on s60 devices, attachments open and it's faster too, though the built in Nokia email client now handles gmail perfectly (to the degree 'perfectly' makes sense talking about gmail and phones).
    So back to cam: no, it's not like k800! The e71 provws that the mp-count means nothing without good sensors, lenses etc... The old k750 has a better cam.
    If you want a near perfect communications device, buy the E71, if yoy feel you'd miss a good camera, don't!. Or buy a cheap 2nd hand e71 AND an LG viewty!

Cheers guys thanks for the advice. I kind of felt the iphone was let down by its camera and thats why I ended up changing. I may have to think again about this one..its such a good phone though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I've had an E71 for 2 months now and am perfectly happy with it. There's nothing it can't do or can't add.
    The qwerty is rather small but manageable for small tasks - I got a Freedom BT keyboard for larger inputs and it works seamlessly.
    The phone is nice and thin too which makes it very comfortable for jeans pockets.
    Battery life is excellent even with BT permanently on - I use a BT car kit so I don't even have to take the phone out of my pocket as I hop in and out of the car.
    GPS is excellent. Gmail works easily. Browsers load quickly and Voip works a dream.
    When I think back to what we had 5 years ago this phone is a dream.
    Can't recommend this phone enough!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I would mostly echo the above comments about the E71, it is a near excellent phone. My only niggle is that it sometimes freezes and I can only reboot by re-inserting the battery. Apart from that, I'd recommand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

i presume you can get skype to work on this phone?

I havnt had a fancy phone in years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide whether to get the e71 or the 5800. I know i know, completely different beasts, but still. I have an e61 which makes me lean towards the e71, it seems like a natural progression, but then i wonder if it'll offer much of an improvement? Yes it has GPS and a Camera, but how does the web browser etc differ? I do want gps and a camera btw, but camera quality isn't all that important. The only thing that's holding me back getting the e71 is the lack of a 3.5mm jack. Anyone care to convince me;)?

I'm waiting for my upgrade to come through to see if I'll go for this or hold onto what I have.

Major issues would be crap camera and a poor photo gallery.
    The C905 has a great photo gallery and camera and is a good phone too but doesn't do much else. I suppose they're very different phones.

I can't see much online really about the media side of the phone like the photo gallery. I haven't used a nokia in quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

The e71 is possibly the best phone I ever owned... until a button fell out. It was the ctrl button, but MPRC said it would cost 100 euro to replace the keypad.

I took it to the local guy who quoted me 35 euro, but when he opened the phone, he discovered the casing was missing several clips on the top. It had to be sent back to Sigma (I think) and when it came back, the keypad was all wonky. I've had to send it back again to get it fixed as I was getting really annoyed with it.

I just wish I could have it as it was when I bought it, it was a brilliant phone. Except the camera. I still have a k800 for that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Bought the N95 8gb when it first came out. Had it 3 months and thought it was crap! High useage customer so I got another upgrade from vodafone. Purchased the E51. Overall Im very happy with it, but the volume on the earpiece is terrible, does the same problem extend to the E71? What is the real battery life on it like? Do you have to have the vodafone business email package to get all your emails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

I'd absolutely recommend it x.gif Probably one of the best phones I have ever owned.

Garth wrote: »
    the keypad was all wonky. I've had to send it back again to get it fixed as I was getting really annoyed with it.

send it to fonemenders, they do a brilliant job;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Headphones on E71 are not great (ok but not great). I got a pair of sennheiser which are great. Battery life is really good. I get 2 days easy with push email on from 7am to midnight, plus some browsing and the radio.

Don't touch voda email. Get your own email account - pop,imap , gmail (own app) or mail for exchange. I use sherweb for my email (exchange) account and Roadsync for the client. I saw yesterday that Nokia are brining html email to their mfe client so that would mean you don't need roadsync.

Bought the N95 8gb when it first came out. Had it 3 months and thought it was crap! High useage customer so I got another upgrade from vodafone. Purchased the E51. Overall Im very happy with it, but the volume on the earpiece is terrible, does the same problem extend to the E71? What is the real battery life on it like? Do you have to have the vodafone business email package to get all your emails?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I love the E71 - great battery life and great features. Gotta use two hands with the keyboard but other then that its perfect. Im using the latest software (cant be d/l via PC Suite atm over here) and the camera has improved but mainly in speed.

Headphones are ****e but whats to be expected.

Advertisement