Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guy caught at 122mph with his 14 year-old son riding pillion

• 03-02-2009 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A guy in the UK was caught on speed cam doing 122MPH with his 14 yo son on the back

I guess it was a Busa going by the description of the bike. :)

I wouldn't mind but the bike was probably not even in top gear and was only 2/3 its max speed. :)

Probably do time with a ban for having the kid on the back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7865197.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

what a plonker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

rightfully so.. d**khead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

never rode a busa. Id guess feck all power in third gear. Lucky fecker. 2nd gear no bother but dont wanna go mad on the gears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

"My Suzuki GSX-R is a 1300cc machine. It is the fastest bike around and it has a top speed of 220mph."
    "But it had started to rain and I pulled back the throttle."

what a stupid thing to say to reporters outside a courthouse :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Bikes should have their own speed limit, bikes like the Busa are built to cruise at that kind of speed without even breaking a sweat. Speeding with a 14yr old on the back is irresponsible though. Pillions very rarely have proper gear on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Its up to the pilot to ensure any pillion they take is in full gear, all my kids have full gear that fit them.

I agree that a 14yr old shouldn't be on a bike that is breaking the speed limit and in saying that i know some kids that are better pillions than alot of adults, they have grown up on the back of bikes and seem to remain inline with the pilot and bike at all times.

I had the pleasure of riding my bike behind 3 bikes that were carrying my three kids, i was soooo proud of my kids on the back of the bikes. none of the bikes were speeding, it was small windy twisty roads, teach em young and it will stand by them for life. I first went pillion at the age of 2 1/2 and was pillion for over 30 yrs before i rode a bike myself :D

I nearly liked riding pillion, I was always a rider. My mam told me that at 2 1/2 they caught me with my dad's xl keys trying to start it. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking kids as pillions though. As long as they have gear on and you're not doing 122mph on a wet road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Bikes should have their own speed limit, bikes like the Busa are built to cruise at that kind of speed without even breaking a sweat. Speeding with a 14yr old on the back is irresponsible though. Pillions very rarely have proper gear on.

Speeding is speeding, simple as. What you're driving/riding should have no bearing on that.

That kind of speed should be saved for the track, or the autobahn.

Bikes go fast, its what they were designed to do. I can't stand the ROSPA guys who swear they never break a speed limit. As far as I can see they might as well stick their mickey up the exhaust, they'd get more enjoyment out of their bikes that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What an idiot! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

on a decent road that bike can handle the speed

otherwiser tghey should just ban all half fast bikes

Miss Daisy would love that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

A guy in the UK was caught on speed cam doing 122MPH with his 14 yo son on the back

I guess it was a Busa going by the description of the bike. :)

I wouldn't mind but the bike was probably not even in top gear and was only 2/3 its max speed. :)

Probably do time with a ban for having the kid on the back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7865197.stm

Suppose it was a bit mad alright but 122mph is not as fast when your actually doing it. I did 164mph on my bike on the autobahn but i didnt have a pillion kid on the back which makes it much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

That guy won't be doing it again, he just got locked up for 6 months. :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7918212.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

That guy won't be doing it again, he just got locked up for 6 months. :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/7918212.stm
    Surely he had priors! That's an insane sentence...

Surely he had priors! That's an insane sentence...

Apparently not. The law looks as if they wanted to make an example of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Just watched that on the news. Sure, they made an example of him but I don't have that much sympathy. He was riding on a road with a 60 mph limit with a decent bit of traffic. You could see the road was wet from the water kicking off his rear tyre and the back view also showed the kids had no gloves on.

There's a time for tooling about on bikes - having a young kid on the back is the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

he deserved the 6 months alone for the shiite he was spouting outside the court house bout pulling back on the throttle..dope

paulieeye wrote: »
    he deserved the 6 months alone for the shiite he was spouting outside the court house bout pulling back on the throttle..dope
    The guy was only looking for tabloid attention and he got it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

What an idiot. Save it for the racetrack or the M50 at 4 in the morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

So everyone replying here DOESNT break the speed limit.....you're not foolin me....thats including doing 60kph in a 40 zone...dont make me laugh....we all do it.. some get caught ,most dont...;)

Sids Not wrote: »
    So everyone replying here DOESNT break the speed limit.....you're not foolin me....thats including doing 60kph in a 40 zone...dont make me laugh....we all do it.. some get caught ,most dont...;)

ehh - "Guy caught at 122mph with his 14 year-old son riding pillion"

how many people do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

theres a bit of a diff between doin 60kph in a 40, and doing 200kph in a 100..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

paulieeye wrote: »
    ehh - "Guy caught at 122mph with his 14 year-old son riding pillion"

how many people do that?

My mates son is 14..he's 5' 10""........its not like the kid was 4....

I cant ride my bike without going over the speed limit , its impossible...suffice to say I dont ride like a lunatic either.....fast when appropriate.. the guards call it "progressive"...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Wossack wrote: »
    theres a bit of a diff between doin 60kph in a 40, and doing 200kph in a 100..

Yeah, 60 in a 40 is probably far more dangerous, on account of the high probability of pedestrians etc. While 200 in 100 could ( I stress could ) be relatively safe.

Case in point though, very stupid to do it with the kid on the back. Probably would have gotten away without a ban had it not been for that.

Need to retract that really. Can't see how he would have escaped a ban either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Either way, the law is the law and taking stupid risks with a kid on the back is unacceptable. And if that plank had been apologetic as opposed to a show off outside the court house maybe he would have got away with just a ban and a fine... But if you show the court you're an a$$hole with no regrets then they'll throw the book at you. Self-inflicted really...

My mates son is 14..he's 5' 10""........its not like the kid was 4....

I cant ride my bike without going over the speed limit , its impossible...suffice to say I dont ride like a lunatic either.....fast when appropriate.. the guards call it "progressive"...;)

Yeah he wasnt a baby but still..goin that speed on a wet road with anyone on the back is dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Lads

Wet road

122mph

14 year old with no gear on

Its madness, there is no justification anywhere in this.

I agree 122mph is not that fast to us bikers, but not with a pillion on board. I never go anywhere without all my gear on, pain in the arse during the summer but it has saved me many times.

Advertisement