Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scuba question!

• 03-02-2009 2:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

hi folks, im just wondering if you can go scuba diving if you have a deaf ear? ive heard you cant or at least are restricted to a certain dept??

cheers BW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

do you have the ability to equalize your ears ?
    this is what is important.
    go to a doctor to do a dive medical,would be your best bet.
    ive heard of deaf people diving ,and they have advantage as they can converse with each other underwater with sign language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

well im not totally deaf, my right ear is perfect and i can hear noise/vibration car horns etc in my left.

i dont understand what you mean by equalize my ears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭elcowboyspace

Put simply it just means can you hold your nose and blow causing your ears to pop.

This is fairly important when diving as it is one of the methods used to equalise the pressure of air in trapped spaces such as the ears and sinus when decending to depth under water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

if you ve been on a plane or at altitude ,have you got a pain in your ears ,and have you been able to pop your ears ,to relieve the pain/pressure ?

do you get me?
    if youve experinced this and been ok then you should be able to dive.imo;)

Advertisement