Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i know im a chancer and would be very lucky but..

Options
  • 03-02-2009 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

ok so here goes nutin...or everthing i have ever had??

hihi all you whopper irish ozzys out there!

part of my course is a paid work placement in a company in the same line of work as my degree ( business). Im a 19yr old male and have already spent the guts of a year travelling/working in new zealand! I got home to ireland roughly july and have been dying for a bit of the south ever since!

people are just so much nicer, nicer weather, cheaper, ..just life is just a whole lot more positive like?has anyone else noticed that??

now i know this is a long shot but i am so so so sick of Ireland, the whole doom and gloom and just reading the paper everyday makes me think Ireland is doomed!( i know its not really but the media are having a field day!)

I have some family in Sydney and have actually been there before in 2005 on a family trip down for crimbo and absolutely loved it!

so heres the biggie, If i was to say I'd absolutley love it if anyone could help me out????maybe? (think of it as your good deed for the year done!) literally any advice is good advice...where to start emailing, browsing and who to start bugging to make my dream come true!

and any fellow countryman out there that wants to help his fellow man achieve his dream maybe pm me?? i can email a current C.V asap and a loada more info about myself!

thanks dudes and i know this is a long shot but seriously any advice is appreciated!

thanks again!

ps. anyone see the superbowl??....what a game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

gags89

If you want to travel to Australia, you're young enough to qualify for a Working Holiday Visa which will allow you to travel here for one year, and work while you're here (with restrictions on what sort of work you can do and how long you can spend working for any one company). The WHV can be extended once you're down here through various methods.

There is a sticky at the top of this page, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055354795. On that sticky, there are a number of links including www.immi.gov.au, which have all of the information you require regarding the visas available to you.

The chances of you getting a skilled migrant visa are slim to none if you have no qualifications or you cannot prove a skillset based on work experience, so sending your CV out in advance of landing on Australian soil won't get you anywhere. A company will not want to sponsor you to come to Australia as unskilled labour - why would they, they can hire plenty of unskilled labour without having to ship it in.

You say you have family in Sydney - what sort of family and how close? Would one of them try pulling some strings and getting you a job and sponsoring you? The immi.gov.au website has all of the information you need to know about family sponsorship opportunities in Australia as well.

You must be familiar with the visa application process if you've been travellling and working in New Zealand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

yep ive checked out the visa requirements etc etc and id definetly be going for the working holiday visa one..like i essentially have no qualifications besides my leaving and then just summer jobs and part-time work during the year and then whatever work i could grab over in NZ.

basically all im looking for out of this is a contact who could maybe help me or point me in the direction of a firm that maybe takes on young interns for a set time period!

the family i have are my two uncles based in sydney...One in IBM and the other in some Insurance firm im not sure.

I know i could maybe beg them enough but i wana see if i can make it on my own ya know!??

thanks for your reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

gags89 wrote: »
    yep ive checked out the visa requirements etc etc and id definetly be going for the working holiday visa one..like i essentially have no qualifications besides my leaving and then just summer jobs and part-time work during the year and then whatever work i could grab over in NZ.

basically all im looking for out of this is a contact who could maybe help me or point me in the direction of a firm that maybe takes on young interns for a set time period!

the family i have are my two uncles based in sydney...One in IBM and the other in some Insurance firm im not sure.

I know i could maybe beg them enough but i wana see if i can make it on my own ya know!??

thanks for your reply!

1: Ireland is not doomed believe me prior to 1992 it was always hard work getting any job.

2: Your WHV is a good laugh and a year of fun but with no qualifications no-one can sponsor you. Personnal experience I am open to correction.

3: By advice to you is go to college or try really hard to estabilish a de-facto relationship with a Kiwi or Ozzie

First, I'm not sure what the story is with getting more than one WHV. What I mean is that if you use up your WHV while you're 19, then come back to Ireland and go to college, I'm not sure if you could get another WHV at aged, say, 25.

Worth checking it out, because as Zambia232 says, you won't get sponsored with no skills and you may not want to waste your WHV chance now. However, as I've said on another thread, the WHV is no longer the back route into sponsorship that lets you skip the need for a skilled migrant visa. The first jobs that go in a recession are the ones that WHV applicants would normally occupy. We may not be in a recession yet here (are we?) but we're certainly heading that way.

Regarding an internship, in my opinion it's pointless - your WHV has working restrictions that mean you cannot work for the same company for a long period of time. If you'd like a few months of business experience, see if your uncle at IBM can get you an intern-type job. Otherwise, come over with some money on a WHV and hope you can get either casual work or some temp agency will fix you up with the sort of monkey work that defines the WHV - data entry, sealing payroll envelopes, call centres etc.

Alternatively, try an EU country for a break from Ireland. Just because you may not be able to speak fluent whatever, don't underestimate the continent for work open to those who speak English as a first language. (It seems that virtually everyone you'll meet in Holland and Denmark, for two examples, speak fluent English.) That sort of work experience will stand to you when you're trying to broaden your horizons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

ok so here goes nutin...or everthing i have ever had??

hihi all you whopper irish ozzys out there!

part of my course is a paid work placement in a company in the same line of work as my degree ( business). Im a 19yr old male and have already spent the guts of a year travelling/working in new zealand! I got home to ireland roughly july and have been dying for a bit of the south ever since!

people are just so much nicer, nicer weather, cheaper, ..just life is just a whole lot more positive like?has anyone else noticed that??

now i know this is a long shot but i am so so so sick of Ireland, the whole doom and gloom and just reading the paper everyday makes me think Ireland is doomed!( i know its not really but the media are having a field day!)

I have some family in Sydney and have actually been there before in 2005 on a family trip down for crimbo and absolutely loved it!

so heres the biggie, If i was to say I'd absolutley love it if anyone could help me out????maybe? (think of it as your good deed for the year done!) literally any advice is good advice...where to start emailing, browsing and who to start bugging to make my dream come true!

and any fellow countryman out there that wants to help his fellow man achieve his dream maybe pm me?? i can email a current C.V asap and a loada more info about myself!

thanks dudes and i know this is a long shot but seriously any advice is appreciated!

thanks again!

ps. anyone see the superbowl??....what a game.

Clearly, learning how to write clearly and grammatically in English is not a requirement of whatever business course you are doing. From what I could make out, you had a bit of a jolly down in New Zealand and now want to abandon your studies to live in Australia.

That’s a big mistake fella. Put the head down get some qualifications and by the time you finish up- even get a couple of years work experience under your belt- you will be a great position to come down and live the good life. Right now, you’re just a punk. I went to Canada when I was 19 and was all set to stay until the old man made me see sense.

Hold your fire. Delayed gratification is the order of the day. And by the way, the media is not hyping the recession- if anything its being underreported. Its as real as cancer and one of the best places you could be right now to ride it out is in full time education.

• Advertisement

Regulator79, wind your neck in.

There is no call to reply to the OP's questions like that.

And incidentally, try not to knock someone else's grammar when you appear to be having difficulty learning to use the intermation superwebway guide to clear posting yourself.

regulator79,

do you actually think that was in any way a positive post??

ITS PART OF MY COURSE TO DO WORK PLACEMENT U MUPPET.
    its either that or an erasmus year in a uni somewhere abroad, and not living at home makes it very hard for me to afford that.

the reason why i am doing it abroad is no companies are taking on students right now...3rd years ahead of me are having to work packing shelves in londis for 9 months, ive set my goal and im going to achieve it.

im sorry your old man made you wuss out and not go live abroad, Im telling you its the best thing you can ever do.Granted its best to get some sort of 3rd level qual first but given the chance to experience a different way of life while im only 20 after moving to NZ when i was 18 i like to think iv clocked up a bit of milage!

Yep i loved new zealand and will for sure go back but that doesnt mean my heads away with the fairies. Iv set my goal and posting something on this forum has gauged advice from those who have experience in the WHV requirements and living in Oz is the start of me achieving it and if you like when im down there il meet up with you and punch you in the face for being such an ignorant idiot.

oh ye and just to do with the visa working period lark, i worked longer than allowed in NZ and there was no issues there....does anyone know if it is more strictly policed in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

regulator79 relax on the pessimism, it's people like you that make me sometimes refrain from posting... sounds like your bitter that you didnt live your dream..

Gags, you have to be careful you dont overstay your WHV, a mate of mine was about to get sponsored until they found out he over stayed his WVH by a couple of weeks

ye the whv lasts a year right? the placement lasts from i think march to august so with fourth year then of my course beginning in september i'd have to return to complete my course anyways!

does anyone know of any websites or sumtin similar to iagora.net to do with work experiences available in Oz??

maybe anyone out there knows that their company takes on college students sometimes in a work experience role?

• Advertisement

gags89, don't back seat mod this forum. Personal abuse is a bannable offence on boards.ie. Calling regulator79 "u muppet" is not the way forward.

Consider this your first and only warning on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

Why cant you copy and paste from a word document into the pane? Some of us have to do this at work you know.

Look,everyone calm down, all im saying is that this guy is barely out of nappies and would be better off finishing his education then moving down here. Sure, it might work out but you would have a fair better chance a few years older and wiser with a few letters after your name.

As regards, grammar and spelling. Its important. Especially if its the start of a thread. It shows respect to other posters to use clear, intelligeble English with proper spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

As regards, grammar and spelling. Its important. Especially if its the start of a thread. It shows respect to other posters to use clear, intelligeble English with proper spelling.
    Better not to call out people on their spelling unless yours is impeccable.

Nil point!

Okay, the next person to go off topic into a bickerfest gets banned. I want to hear absolutely no more about spelling, grammar and formatting and apparent lack of skill thereof.

If you have something to contribute to the OP, contribute, if not, STFU.

OP ~ just to stay on topic. Most immigrants in Australia got here by following the proper processes or because they were highly sought after NOT by chancing their arm or trying to slip in the back door. Australia may not be in recession YET but will most likely go into negative growth sometime this year leading to widespread job losses. When that happens it will be a case of ...

1004-0021.gif

And for the record I didn't watch the Superbowl. This is Australia not the USA :mad:

dSTAR wrote: »
    OP ~ just to stay on topic. Most immigrants in Australia got here by following the proper processes or because they were highly sought after NOT by chancing their arm or trying to slip in the back door. Australia may not be in recession YET but will most likely go into negative growth sometime this year leading to widespread job losses. When that happens it will be a case of ...

1004-0021.gif

And for the record I didn't watch the Superbowl. This is Australia not the USA :mad:

Besides I believe there is a long queue at the back door.

Try Adeliade

ok im sorry this thread turned a bit sour.
    mods, im sorry, as you can see not an expierienced poster il keep the opinions to self in future.

but in fairness 79, i mentioned i have family in sydney and have done this before earlier in my life just go live in another country and so have friends in OZ too who haved moved across, i am not doing this alone.peace?

i just came on this to basically see what peoples worklifes were like over in OZ maybe make a contact or two in some suitable companies and really just help me reach my goal of doing this!

i know all about the visas thanks to previous posters i looked up a few websites, im just looking for ''how id go about securing this work from home '' answer!

thanks!

Gags .. believe it or not we are a happy, friendly bunch here even though some of us are exceedingly pedantic and the mods (who do an excellent job) come off as overbearing school teachers occasionally ;)

Questions are the the answers. So fire away ...

ok im sorry this thread turned a bit sour.
    mods, im sorry, as you can see not an expierienced poster il keep the opinions to self in future.

but in fairness 79, i mentioned i have family in sydney and have done this before earlier in my life just go live in another country and so have friends in OZ too who haved moved across, i am not doing this alone.peace?

i just came on this to basically see what peoples worklifes were like over in OZ maybe make a contact or two in some suitable companies and really just help me reach my goal of doing this!

i know all about the visas thanks to previous posters i looked up a few websites, im just looking for ''how id go about securing this work from home '' answer!

thanks!

We do understand but times are tight and even securing work here while here is **** hard mate.

You are asking how to secure un-skilled work from Ireland in Australia basically my advice to you is you cant.

Come over on a WHV and see how you get on if you dont believe me.

Best of luck with trying though

Zambia broke it down for you right there.

[Mods] Can we have a sticky for these kinds of threads? Who cares how bad the economy is in Ireland or how much you want to come here (without the proper visas or qualification). Practically all of the Aus/NZ boardsies worked bloody hard to get here. There are NO shortcuts!

RTFM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ceerraag

First, I'm not sure what the story is with getting more than one WHV. What I mean is that if you use up your WHV while you're 19, then come back to Ireland and go to college, I'm not sure if you could get another WHV at aged, say, 25.

You can only get one VISA, one time. Once you use it up thats it.
    But.
    Although you said you are only going for a year I am pretty sure you can get a WHV extended to 2 years, you have to work for 3 months picking fruit or on a farm. And once you do that the visa is extended.

I have friends over there that did that. But that might be changing especially now that everyone and their mother wants to get into Oz.

I don't think it matters when you travel, we have the chance to do a lot more of it these days. Once I finished college in 2000 I started work and gained experience. I'm now trying to sort out when I head off as well but its a lot harder to go now than it would be if I was 19.

I say go for it...you never know whats ahead. Best of luck with your travels. Enjoy every minute of it! ;)

cheers man! yeah i know quite alot of people that have just jumped ship down to oz for the year and they seem to be happy enough and you guys seem to be true in saying if may be hard to find work!

so do you guys think oz is going to get as bad as ireland at the moment maybe in a year or so?

personally i want to get involved in the marketing arena of things i enjoy and have experience in, which are clubs and fitness...i worked in a big nightclub over in Nz and loved every minute of it, and as for fitness id like to eventully gain both a business and a fitness qualification

what are these sectors like at the moment does anyone know??

thanks for the replies!

id like to eventully gain both a business and a fitness qualification

what are these sectors like at the moment does anyone know??

thanks for the replies!

Fitness is huge here but I would say hard to get in to

If you know what you want to get into look for a course in that in Ireland get it then re-visit the whole Australia thing. There are going to be a few rough years ahead wont hurt to be in College during them.

As a footnote you could study those things here but it will cost you

dSTAR wrote: »
    Zambia broke it down for you right there.

[Mods] Can we have a sticky for these kinds of threads? Who cares how bad the economy is in Ireland or how much you want to come here (without the proper visas or qualification). Practically all of the Aus/NZ boardsies worked bloody hard to get here. There are NO shortcuts!

RTFM!

I would second that only I dont think people would believe us :o

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Man im 19 as well and im in melbourne on a whv i been out looking for a job for about 4-5 hours a day every second day on average lookin for a job for the last 3 and a half weeks. trust me unskilled work doesnt seem to be needed in melbourne. Its a case of be careful about the choice you make. I'm thinking of taking regulators79 advice as much as i dont want to. It pi**s me off cause im going to have to ask my parents for a return flight and i feel terrible what with the hard times at home

Mobooo wrote: »
    i feel terrible what with the hard times at home
    Tell you what Mobooo? The fact that you got your sh!t together to make the big journey down here without any guarantees of job and have been pounding the pavement daily makes me admire you. Massively!

Feel a sense of inner confidence, smile and use that Irish charm and many employers will find it hard not to resist. The jobs ARE out there for the right people. Just keep soldiering on my friend.

great post dstar, its good to hear some encouraging words for a guy in a similar situation to myself!

i think your right though, just from working and taking in peoples C.Vs here who immigrated here the C.V.s need to sparkle. Not to draw too much critism but if your in such dire straights try doctoring your C.V with some experience you may not have but know you could wing!

From my interactions with the Kiwis last year the Irish are LOVED! maybe over-do the accent a bit and you could maybe get a job in an Irish bar..talk to fellow Irish and play the help a brother out card..that worked for me last year!

Harass Recruitment agencies everyday!

I know how you feel with the whole asking parents for money thing, i did it once and felt like shoite cos your supposed to be all grown up and out in the big world!But its also comforting to know they are there when you need them so just use them as a last resort.

as my own little story and coming down next year ive sent off a few emails to contacts down your way and the overall response has been positive so far.. i know its yonks away but still good to know iv got people willing to help me out!

cheesey corny line coming up,

anything is possible just needs a buttload of determination and a willingless to try!..sure what have you got to lose!

keep the thread going!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Feel a sense of inner confidence, smile and use that Irish charm and many employers will find it hard not to resist. The jobs ARE out there for the right people. Just keep soldiering on my friend.

Got a few hours on tuesday in a cafe. never had to try so hard to get a job its a start but i have to get another one to get enough hours to keep me going but its givin me a bit of confidence anyway thank god!

see god loves a trier man! i worked in a cafe over in NZ push the accent it will make you tips!

Also drink loads of coffee if you can make a good first impression and they will probably throw you more hours!

• Advertisement

just a little note on inspiration for anyone i guess that is worth listening to, met a nice woman down in the local there this evening from Chicago!

Offered me a job as an intern!

Ha ok its not Oz but it just goes to show its not what you know its who you know!!

I draw alot of positives from that and incase anyone feels like aww the job hunt is going nowhere, maybe wouldnt hurt regardless to where you are to just toddle on down to your local and just get yapping to people!

Advertisement