Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

androgyny/two spirited?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this belongs in this forum as I don't identify as gay or bisexual, although I've no experience of gay/bi relationships, I don't participate in hetero relationships either and asexual would be the closer to reality. (if that's possible)
    I was researching some stuff earlier with my daughter and we came across some items on androgyny, it's something I guess is fashionable nowadays and something she likes and can get away with in terms of appearance, if she wanted too. (she'd look good in a paper bag but I digress)
    While reading the definition I understood that I relate much better with androgyny in terms of gender identity, ie:as a person who does not fit cleanly into the typical masculine and feminine gender roles of their society. Following that I came across two spirited, which has been used more recently to identify as gay or bi, although its original meaning wasn't necessarily describing sexual orientation but an individual with a balance of both masculine and feminine traits.

I can't say I'm confused, at the age of 33 I know who I am but I've never, even as a child identified as any particular gender (mentally) but only because its so unimportant to me. I know it may sound like a cliche but I see people first and gender ...when I must.
    Other than the fact that I've a kid, most people here would (without direction) probably consider my personality as being male.

Anyway, case in point, if you can identify with any of the above and does it drive your sexual orientation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

This is an interesting post OP. My thoughts for what they are worth... I have a couple of friends who in the past would have said they fell for a person and that their gender didn't matter. Some said that was an excuse for not admitting their homosexuality (in most cases, though one was a lesbian who fell for a man) and this may be the case. Or it maybe that there are more people with your viewpoint who perhaps are not quite as self-aware.

My thinking in general is that labels only serve to confine/restrict us... though I appreciate others would disagree with that. I believe feelings, thoughts and desires do drive your sexual orientation, irrepsective of what those feelings etc maybe.

I think I find your post interesting because of it's clarity and at the same time it's questioning. The only words of advice I'll offer is continue doing what you have been doing... be open to what's around you and continue to be clear about who (and not what) you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

When I was in Sweden during the summer in Göteborg on a visit to see my friend who is an MTF transsexual, I met many of her friends in a group she is a part of there. The people were really lovely and all. But one of her friends, I wasn't sure is they were a male or female. Generally I'd refer somebody by the gender they actually are or if they're transsexual by the gender they truly are. My friend told me that they defined themselves of no specific gender but a mixture of two. (They were biologically male) But they didn't want to be limited to gender and they looked like a mixture of both genders. It was very interesting for me. So hence androgynous.

Advertisement