Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Is it too cold for my dog sleeping in the porch?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

I have a four month old German sheperd pup sleeping in the back porch.

He has a cosy bed with matress and toys and three cats sleep with him too and i think they all enjoy heat from each other.

I leave the door partially open as he can go outside to the loo and this is great as being a young pup still he goes to the loo a lot and he is great at going outside providing the door is partially open for him.

I am just worrying is it too cold for him in this weather as yesterday i just noticed his eyes are slightly sticky and i thought the white part of his eyes looked a bit red?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

omg you have to put up a pic of himself in the middle of all the cats. Thats so cool.
    Regards your question. I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,530 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

seanybiker wrote: »
    omg you have to put up a pic of himself in the middle of all the cats. Thats so cool.
    Regards your question. I have no idea.
    lol - "PICS FIRST QUESTIONS LATER!" :pac:

I assume he's grand. go check on him if you must - warm him up with a rub, put a warm blanket or something in there, etc. A nice hot towel off the radiator :)

Overnight - yes with the snow coming down and all, Id just assume leave him and the cats inside. If they prefer it outside they'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Overheal wrote: »
    lol - "PICS FIRST QUESTIONS LATER!" :pac:

I assume he's grand. go check on him if you must - warm him up with a rub, put a warm blanket or something in there, etc. A nice hot towel off the radiator :)
    I dont want a rub or a warm blanket I want pics he he

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

IrishHomer if he has a conjunctival infection that doesn't necessarily relate to the cold. Treat as two separate issues - if the eyes appear weeping and sore, take him to the vet.

On the cold front - if he has plenty of warm bedding and insulation on all sides and above from winds and the elements, he will be fine. To make sure, go out there yourself around midnight or first thing in the early morning, and put a hand in on him in his bed and see if he's toasty or cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh id say hes fine,the cats are even better id say ...the heat off him must be the business haha:D

Stick a hot water bottle in with him for the chillier nights! Clean off any residue on his eyes and if it looks like its getting worse,off to the vets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I wouldn't recommend the hot water bottle, to be honest. I certainly wouldn't leave one with him, unsupervised. He's a pup and if he chews it, he could scald himself. Plus the problem with hot water bottles is that once they go cold, they actually draw heat away from the body. A snugglesafe heatpad would be better. Personally I wouldn't have any pup under six months sleeping out, especially in this weather. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's more the draught than the cold that may have his eye a bit weepy, if his bed is close to the ground perhaps one a little higher to avoid draughts, even with the door closed and a well insulated house draughts can still be close to the floor.

Or could just be something he picked up, washing it with cool boiled water and if it doesn't clear up the vet will give you an ointment.

Door wise would be better to keep it closed night time is a dangerous time for cats esp. at this time of year with the long dark nights. A few newspapers by the door so he has summit to pee on if he needs to go.

Advertisement