Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie got 'jostled'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

-Phuqer- wrote: »

In case any of you students haven't noticed this country is in the sh1t. If fees need to be introduced they will be no matter how much you protest. The government are making cut backs right across the board. It's not as if they're picking on you

Great optimistic attitude, lie down and die becuase theres no hope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They could have gotten one up on their last escapades in 'taking charge of a piece of timber in a threatening manner' by beating Bertie with his own crutch.

Idiots. One of the articles said that some of them were whinging about being 'roughed up'. The Gardai should have laid into them with batons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEqBrrx1Kc

Video evidence of Bertie (10 ft tall and "built like ox") kicking the shiznit out of everyone around him like the bad mo fo that he is.

Wait no. Video evidence of one of the FEE organisers attacking a guy trying to calm everyone down..

Seriously people! Email su.president@nuigalway.ie and complain! Let the SU know we don't want our elected representatives to be associated with mindless thugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

It's always good to check out profiles and it's notable that Euskia/Herria seems to have connections to the IRSP which as many know is the 'political wing' of the INLA. Which might tell of his motivation for the activities of the groups like that. They tend to have a distant relationship with the truth and usually an agenda quite different from whatever cause they attach themselves to.

So you really can't believe a word said by any of these people. It's blatant troublemaking and provocation. We all know this so drop your innocent act and go back to Indymedia. There won't be any revolution this time around.

As I said in another thread. I have no time for that crook Ahern but if people like FEE are allowed free reign in NUIG. There will be a lot more trouble.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds. The government paid for the university and still does. Yes fees should be protested but this is not the way to do it.[/qoute]
    I can't afford 6k next year could you?
    What happened last night was a disgrace. I am not affiliated with any political party nor do I ever plan to be (they are all wrong IMO) but the way to have a proper debate on teh issue is not shouting down and shoving a 60 year old man in crutches who is still in a lot of pain from his fall a few months ago.
    The only disgrace was the bahviour of the political police who brutally assaulted a number of FEE members including females. I can take a punch and being trampled on but there is nothing worse than feeling powerless as opurtunist thugs with badges beat girls leaving us with the option of do nothing or do something and go to jail?
    I would have liked to have seen Joe and other FEE members getting a whack from Berties crutch though. Would have brought a smile to my face.

Also you will probably hear of the next few days that the gardai were being rough and a "well they started it" whinging from FEE. Nothing is further from the truth.

the last few seconds shows Crazy Joe (Yousuf) Loughnane pushing and being aggressive with another student (member of the lit&deb committee) WITHOUT provocation from anyone - just shouting the same rhetoric like a brainwashed eejit.
    That footage shows the man you question, who was racially abused by gardai minutes before. He was agitated no doubt but the innocent man was one of the main guys who welcomedbertie and you can clearly see in the video he was pushed first.
    I wish it would have gone on longer so we could see other FEE members being violent (and there is no other word) with OTHER STUDENTS. I got pushed around myself but i know of 2 GIRLS who got hit quite hard (one knocked to the ground), who were not members of fee.

I dont know what can be done, but I would like to see FEE done for assault, breach of the peace, and expelled immediately from campus with a large fine (say about 6000€ which is about the same amount as fees will be - oh the irony)
    What you would like or perhaps better off is a dose of reality. The man arrested last night was released with no charge and there is a reason for it obviously. There was a not one single violent member of FEE. Bertie never at any stage was touched or pushed or in any discomfort except for the reason he was previously on crutches as he was surrounded by special branch pushing and shoing and throwing people and also using their baton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Idiots. One of the articles said that some of them were whinging about being 'roughed up'. The Gardai should have laid into them with batons.

Why is that? WE cannot afford to pay Fee's next year and we want to protest therefore we should get a good hiding? your logic is flawless

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

The footage is on a number of cameras and i'm sure it will be put up soon. I personally I am uploading the video as we speak, clear as day the protesters standing in front of the gards and only the gardai pushing, shoving and throwing people about

was it like the other video where they tryting to move through the crowd? The gardaí were doing what they have to do, didn't look like UNREASONABLE force was used. just making their way through the crowd best they could.

Is that what you see as "brutality". How do you explain other people, who were there, non FEE supporters saying that FEE has been exaggerating the story? What would they gain from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

EuskalHerria

Firstly, I would like to state that I am not a supporter of Fianna Fail and feel that Bertie Ahern disgraced his office by not resigning before he did.

Secondly, based on the number of spelling and grammatical errors in your post I can see that standards at NUI Galway have slipped dramatically since my time there.

Thirdly, as if your post was not enough to stereotype you as a professional protester, your username is a Basque reference! Protests carry a lot more weight when they are carried out against something you actually care about, rather than attaching yourself to the latest ‘cause’. Your post contains the all too familiar rhetoric of the professional protester. I refer of course to your allegations of heavy handed treatment by the Gardai, especially the usual bleating about how females were injured (deliberately). I can confidently state that but for a few location changes your post could describe any other protest by you and your ilk on this island in the last 100 years.

Perhaps I am wrong and you do care strongly about student fees, but as others have highlighted, why would you not let the man say his piece and then seek answers to your questions from him? What were you and your little buddies trying to achieve by blocking roads and so on? A chance for your spiel above to be quoted in a national newspaper? What do you feel that you have achieved this morning?

Finally, who empowered you and your organisation to make decisions as to who should and should not be allowed to enter the University? Was there an election? Who exactly do you represent?

It's a realistic attitude. Would you rather they got the money they needed by making more cut backs in the health service, reintroducing the idea of the elderly not being able to get a medical card or making taxes higher? What I'm trying to say here is that the money has to come from somewhere to save this country. They're not bringing back fees for shits and giggles

No I do not feel the elderly and studenst need to be burdened with fee's for the mistaks this government has made. Perhaps we cretake the corrib gasline as their is enough fuel their to get Ireland out of the reccesion.

• Advertisement

That footage shows the man you question, who was racially abused by gardai minutes before. He was agitated no doubt but the innocent man was one of the main guys who welcomedbertie and you can clearly see in the video he was pushed first.

No, in the video you see the hand rested on the shoulder. not pushing. People aren't blind, we can all see it.

Nuggles wrote: »

Is that what you see as "brutality". How do you explain other people, who were there, non FEE supporters saying that FEE has been exaggerating the story? What would they gain from it?
    The only exaggeration is from people here coming to their own conclusions of what happened and where are these assumptions coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

You're not going to deny my post then Euska? Peculiar!

Is this the same Joe Loughnane from Galway who is the son of maths guru Dr. Bob? If it is, he is clearly still mad. I remember him from my time in St. Mary’s even though he was a few years behind me.

The only exaggeration is from people here coming to their own conclusions of what happened and where are these assumptions coming from?

Not really answering the question though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Secondly, based on the number of spelling and grammatical errors in your post I can see that standards at NUI Galway have slipped dramatically since my time there.
    Perhaps that is the whole point, if i could afford fee's then their may not be as many mistakes in future?
    Thirdly, as if your post was not enough to stereotype you as a professional protester, your username is a Basque reference! Protests carry a lot more weight when they are carried out against something you actually care about, rather than attaching yourself to the latest ‘cause’. Your post contains the all too familiar rhetoric of the professional protester. I refer of course to your allegations of heavy handed treatment by the Gardai, especially the usual bleating about how females were injured (deliberately). I can confidently state that but for a few location changes your post could describe any other protest by you and your ilk on this island in the last 100 years.
    Proffesional protester? the latest cause? I have been to the basqu region a lot as I have a lot of friends over there so no my username isn't the trendy international cause.
    Perhaps I am wrong and you do care strongly about student fees, but as others have highlighted, why would you not let the man say his piece and then seek answers to your questions from him? What were you and your little buddies trying to achieve by blocking roads and so on? A chance for your spiel above to be quoted in a national newspaper? What do you feel that you have achieved this morning?
    I can tell you now that i do feel very strongly about the re-introduction of FEE's. As I said to a FF supporter who questioned us I am from a working class family and cannot afford the FEE's, their is nothing to debate it is as simple as that!
    Finally, who empowered you and your organisation to make decisions as to who should and should not be allowed to enter the University? Was there an election? Who exactly do you represent?
    We had planned to nt let bertie in on his original route to the quad, but after the gardai unneccesary force we decided to continue and not let their provacative actions and brutality be in vein therefore deciding that bertie and his political police were not to be allowed int the college I am paying for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

No I do not feel the elderly and studenst need to be burdened with fee's for the mistaks this government has made. Perhaps we cretake the corrib gasline as their is enough fuel their to get Ireland out of the reccesion.

Ah the ol Corrib gasline, now I can see your true colours.

This is a worldwide recession tbh so I don't think your anti-FF attitude will work here.
    I am not some back arse of nowhere FG supporter with a chip on my shoulder. I Cannot afford 6k a year before paying for living expenses and accomodation simple as and I will continue to protest against the re-introduction of FEE's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

EuskalHerria

Firstly, I would like to state that I am not a supporter of Fianna Fail and feel that Bertie Ahern disgraced his office by not resigning before he did.

Attacking someones spelling is such a hollow argument. Just stick with your other points they are better. Thats one of my predictions met. How long until someone on sin starts to whinge and have this thread closed?

• Advertisement

Perhaps that is the whole point, if i could afford fee's then their may not be as many mistakes in future?

Proffesional protester? the latest cause? I have been to the basqu region a lot as I have a lot of friends over there so no my username isn't the trendy international cause.

I can tell you now that i do feel very strongly about the re-introduction of FEE's. As I said to a FF supporter who questioned us I am from a working class family and cannot afford the FEE's, their is nothing to debate it is as simple as that!

We had planned to nt let bertie in on his original route to the quad, but after the gardai unneccesary force we decided to continue and not let their provacative actions and brutality be in vein therefore deciding that bertie and his political police were not to be allowed int the college I am paying for

If you are in University, I am a monkey's Uncle. Kids in primary school have a better grasp of basic English than you. If you feel so strongly about this, you should run in a student election and see how many people share your views.

mobby wrote: »
    Ah the ol Corrib gasline, now I can see your true colours.

My true colours? The fact that their is enough gas to get this country out of a reccesion and economically secure for the coming years means nothing to you?

We had planned to nt let bertie in on his original route to the quad

Well that was very kind of you.

If you are in University, I am a monkey's Uncle. Kids in primary school have a better grasp of basic English than you. If you feel so strongly about this, you should run in a student election and see how many people share your views.
    Why are all things correct elected correct? I seem to think we were protesting against a man who ran this country, he was an elected gangster.

My true colours? The fact that their is enough gas to get this country out of a reccesion and economically secure for the coming years means nothing to you?

Like I said, Professional Protester.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

As was said after police brutally and racially in one case abused us we decided that bertie and his political police were not entering OUR college.

I'm also a student in NUIG and I had no problems with Bertie Ahern coming into MY college and giving a talk. Make what you want of that.

That's not to say I'm Bertie's biggest fan or that I'm in favour of fees being reintroduced because I'm not.

Stopping him achieved nothing in my opinion and it is a embarassing for NUIG and Galway (not that I really care about NUI's image - I hate the place. However, I really care about Galway's image).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I HEART CORRIB GASLINE :D

Well that was very kind of you.
    The point was to raise an objection to the award giving and highlight our campaign for free fee's. Simple as that.

KevR wrote: »
    I'm also a student in NUIG and I had no problems with Bertie Ahern coming into MY college and giving a talk. Make what you want of that.

That's not to say I'm Bertie's biggest fan or that I'm in favour of fees being reintroduced because I'm not.

Stopping him achieved nothing in my opinion and it is a embarassing for NUIG and Galway (not that I really care about NUI's image - I hate the place. However, I really care about Galway's image).
    WE had not planned to stop him, but after the actions of his political police then we felt compelled to stop him accepting an award.

Everyone keeps saying it is a disgrace and pointing the finger at FEE? We were nothing but peaceful in our actions yet people are telling us what we did?

• Advertisement

The point was to raise an objection to the award giving and highlight our campaign for free fee's. Simple as that.

Well all you achieved was to make yourselves look like braindead idiots and paint the university in a poor light.

I’m sure you like to think of yourself as a free thinker. The reality is somewhat different. If you were a thinker at all you would have let the man in to give his speech and asked him questions afterwards, like a civilised and rational human being.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement