Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie got 'jostled'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

http://www.galwaynews.ie/6410-internal-investigation-nuig-protest

Well a file is going to the DPP for the guy that was arrested last night. Which means the guy is in enough trouble as to warrant a possible case been taken against him. That does not mean there will be or that if there is he is guilty time will tell.

NUIG looking at taking action against the people found in breach of the code of conduct as well.

Now if FEE has video evidence of the guards using excessive force (as claimed about the video footage of racism) I would tell them to take cases against the guards in question. And like the case against the guy arrested time will tell what the actual story was.

The last post about FEE and their actions did not reflect them in a very good light and imho some members of FEE did the big damage to themselves in their posts. If they really want to stop fees coming back they should learn to have a debate about it. Maybe they should try debating on Thursday to explain why their actions were not going to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

http://www.galwaynews.ie/6410-internal-investigation-nuig-protest

I hope they get a few of them, coming before the disciplinary council goes on your record with the uni. A record employers can ask about.

Attacking people never looks good on the auld C.V.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm still waiting on this video of:

1) Gardai being racist
    2) Gardai assaulting innocent people

I've a feeling i'll be waiting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

Hey guys. I'm the boss of FEE and here is the proof of Gardai RASCISM and ABUSE. This definitive video evidence shows exactly how evil and despicable Bertie's private secret army really are!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaLOzP1lCA

What I would like to know is how do FEE think their stupid out of control protest is going to stop fees being reintroduced.

I know if I was the government and I say a member of my party being treated like that I would try to reintroduce fees* just to spite the protesters.

*In reality I am against the reintroduction of fees, University is expensive enough especially for those who do not get the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

fuzzsc00ta wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm the boss of FEE and here is the proof of Gardai RASCISM and ABUSE. This definitive video evidence shows exactly how evil and despicable Bertie's private secret army really are!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kiaLOzP1lCA

There was too much talkin and not enough hand holdin for my liking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I would consider myself fairly left wing and have been on many protests over the years for causes that I believe in and think that protest is a democratic right that should be encouraged, and it is a good thing to see after what appear to have been many apathetic years from Irish people that there are groups willing to stand up for what they believe in from students to the OAPs.
    The more that people protest against the likes of Bertie Ahern, hopefully the less likely that crooks like him and his predecessor Haughey will blight Irish society in the future. As a non Irish resident it constantly amazes me the level of defence that is put up by people to FF and their obvious carry on over the decades!

However,back to subject, there is never a reason for aggression or violent protest, what I see from the video is classic protest tactics, i.e in a confined area push from the back so that there is a crush/jostling at the front to which there is a response from the guards mainly directed at those who may have been wanting to demonstrate peacefully and then either retaliate further or come across with 'indignation' at the treatment of protesters.
    As I said I have been involved in similar situations standing up peacefully for what I believe in going back to the poll tax dispute in London in the late 80s so yes have some experience of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

sgthighway wrote: »
    Its not just an embarrassment for the entire Univeristy. Its an embarrassment to the people of Galway. I can see an example been set on one of these students to prevent similar actions happening.

Fair dues to them. Bertie has alot to answer for.

ye did alot more damage to your cause than good. today's society leaves no room for the methods used last night and it makes me cringe that you have equal voting rights to the more intelligent and rational members of society. i hope a few people get done for this.. glad i graduated last year so i'm not associated with ye.

bunch of wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Look Bertie Ahern is a Knacker. A thief and a shoister. His name got his daughter's trite little yarn into Hollywood, for God's sakes. All backslapping good ol boys stuff. I thought ye folks were educated; discerning like ? Protest my ass. The only form of protest to show a thug like this is just not show up ! Can't see what all the fuss is about. OH yah, and pay those darn fees - if nothing else t'will make ye study harder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

There are a lot of assumption being amde here. Show me evidence of FEE members acting violently because all I have seen is Fee members standing in the way of the ardai and being thrown out of the way. The vidoes that are available now do not reflect badly on the gards or FEE because it show FEE standing trying to block berties path and the gards who are obviously trying to get him through. That exception is of course with the video of the garda being racist I know what I heard and the gard himself tried to lie about what he said after only to find out it was caught on camera.

Their is more video evidence expected later and hopefully the sooner the better. The initial intention of FEE was to block the intended entrance for bertie, after we were beaten by the gards and evidence of this will be up shortly remmber this only happened last night so time will be required obviously. Those who wish to further hear'say and rumours feel free as we were not violent in our protest and will be making complaints against those gards we have video evidence commiting crimes.

Jeez stop mentioning the video evidence if you can't prove it exists?

"I was on the moon, I have video, no one can say otherwise"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

You keep up the show, it's hilarious on this ****ty night.

Nuggles wrote: »
    Jeez stop mentioning the video evidence if you can't prove it exists?

"I was on the moon, I have video, no one can say otherwise"

Rome wasn't built in a day. You must be a pain to be around on christmas eve!

Rome wasn't built in a day. You must be a pain to be around on christmas eve!

That makes no sense.

Are you making the videos?

Are they "reconstructions" or something?

Nuggles wrote: »
    That makes no sense.

Are you making the videos?

Are they "reconstructions" or something?

No their just not been put up yet but will be put up soon.

Actually no your right we're here at the college now recreating the scene:rolleyes:

No their just not been put up yet but will be put up soon.

Actually no your right we're here at the college now recreating the scene:rolleyes:

When is soon?

After the editing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Bertie's a thieving prat and I couldn't give a toss what happened/happens to him etc.etc.etc....

HOWEVER.....

That video on youtube in no way reveals any racial incidents concerning that garda. For that you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I'm all for protesting if you feel strongly enough for something. What went on at NUIG I don't know and can't say for sure as I did not see it. What I did see was a gang of students going around in cars beeping horns and shouting into loudspeekers at half 9 or 10 waking up kids and annoying people. All I see doing is making people not care for what your protesting and just think feck ye so just pay the fee's and STFU.
    Just my 2 cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 iAmMine

im tryin to think this one through, but i seriously can't get my head around it. what good will this do? ahern has no role in irish politics anymore [gets my vote for smartest man in the country!] and in my opinion is all this not just going to give unnessecary bad publicity for what is a very serious issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Here is one of the gardai racially abusing one of the protesters

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_cDijEPbM&feature=channel_page

More to come I am uploading as we speak

Comedy gold. If that is someone being racially abused then I am the Sultan of Brunei

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

I see the original video has been removed from you tube "due to terms of use violation"

Guess we wont be seeing this much anticipitated "Garda Abuse" after all

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Comedy gold. If that is someone being racially abused then I am the Sultan of Brunei

+1. That was no racist abuse. Accusing someone in the wrong of racist abuse is as bad as racist abuse imo. It is a serious slur against someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Simpleton

Dear Mr EuskalHerria.

I am a first arts student. I'm not in favour of fees. I want you to know that you do not represent me.
    I waited to hear Ahern last night. I got treated to your particular brand of protest. This is not what I came to college for. I think you are using the fees issue to further your own agenda.

Get a life.

Simpleton

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Here is one of the gardai racially abusing one of the protesters

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7f_cDijEPbM&feature=channel_page

More to come I am uploading as we speak

THe video claims that it's a RSYM member who is racially abused. Isn't Joe an SWP member?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

fuzzsc00ta wrote: »
    The vast majority of the student body were disgusted by the intimidation of O'Cuiv. The reaction to FEE's disgraceful behavior last night is one of absolute disgust.

The NUIG SU has run a very creative and peaceful campaign against the re-introduction of fees. Its a shame that it has been railroaded by a nasty little minority.

There's a big march to Dublin being organised by the USI for this Wednesday. If FEE will be there I'll be genuinely afraid for people's safety as its obvious from their track record that they are planning some sort of violent altercation.

If any student is reading this please email the SU and ask them to disassociate themselves from FEE and to detail a plan on how they will deal with any violence at the march!

su.president@nuigalway.ie

Let me guess, you're in Fianna Fail??
    You're comment about warning people about 'violent' fee is complete bullsiht... students have to fight against the reintroduction of fees.
    While I agree they might have gone too far, it shows that certain people would rather get arrested etc., rather than sit by and see people blocked from third level education.
    For people criticising FEE's objectives - GET A LIFE

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

You're comment about warning people about 'violent' fee is complete bullsiht... students have to fight against the reintroduction of fees.
    While I agree they might have gone too far, it shows that certain people would rather get arrested etc., rather than sit by and see people blocked from third level education.

I dont think anyone is critrcising their objectives but more so the way they are going about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You guessed wrong, he's not even irish :pac:

Fee's objectives are not the problem, it's their methods

i've always wanted to be 'jostled' . you know you've really done something with your life when you find yourself being jostled.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

EJLL wrote: »
    I don't think it's an embarassment to the University. If anything it shows that the University has free thinkers and is not just a vehicle that produces industry fodder.

Elaborate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement