Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bertie got 'jostled'

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

Tell me how it was embarresing? I worry for your social interactions if a peaceful protest makes you blush.

There is a difference between peaceful and passive aggressive. lrn2protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

*STILL* waiting on these videos of Gardai abusing/assaulting/being racist

Congrats FEE, you managed to make complete twats of yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

JohnCleary wrote: »

Congrats FEE, you managed to make complete twats of yourselves AGAIN

Fixed that for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

No I'm not in Fianna Fail, but so what if I was? Are you saying I don't have the right to chose? Democracy my arse. You're a sham.

Fact is the 20 or so in FEE in NUIG need to be made responsible for their actions Monday night. At their meeting last night they were asked who's idea it was to go into the concourse and push Gardai. They responded that it was a mutual decision, that they are a "conglomerate".

Sounds more like a mob. They put innocent students and themselves in danger. Students and guests of NUIG need to know that aggressive and intimidating behavior will never be accepted.

How is this group allowed to be associated with the college? Do the SU/President have no cop on??

• Advertisement

They associate themselves with the college and the union to make it appear that they have credibility. They are not a recognised society. I think some of their members are very genuine, but there are also some who obviously just want the attention and its them who spur on violent conflict.

The Union and representatives of the University need to publicly punish them for their actions. If it was 20 lads in le coq sportif jumpers and tracksuit bottoms pushing and shoving students and the Gardai would anyone have any sympathy?

nope, no sympathy and there shouldn't be any for these guys.. serious disciplinary action. college has been there a long time with alot of history. to allow a small group like this to behave in such a way to an ex-taoiseach is a disgrace.

Think NUIG/SU should make a public announcement that they are not associated with the college in any formal way ie. Club/Society

well i already sent a mail to student union president. bored in work :P

From the Sin Boards:
    Hello Sinners!

In response to recent events, posts here and emails I've recieved I'm posting this run down of the arrangements for tomorrow.
    I understand if some students feel worried about coming tomorrow, but we have been working on the logistics of this march for a long time and we have always worked to ensure that students would have a safe and enjoyable time.

The march is still going ahead

Buses are leaving from the Quad at 9am.
    Buses will be back around 7pm.
    You will need a ticket and your student ID to board the bus.

There will be two SU marshalls on each bus to ensure no one bus gets lost (!) and to make sure everyone knows where they are going, the timetable etc. [We will also be doing some protesting on the buses, but you'll have to come along to see that!]

At the march, there will be marshalls from each other college, from USI and a strong Garda presense. The USI has organised this event well and like ourselves, they have done everything possible to ensure students are safe and the point of the protest is well made.

Going to march is still important
    Whatever happened last night notwithstanding, the students of NUI Galway really need to make their point. Fees is a very serious issue, one that needs to be dealt with seriously. This march is one of the most important steps we are taking in the fight against fees and I really hope students continue to support that.

FEE
    FEE is not a society, it has not being recognised by NUI Galway. Some of the members of FEE have been involved in our campaigns and have worked with the SU this year. However, for tomorrow's protest no FEE placards or banners will be permitted on SU buses.

Some of the members of FEE who were involved last night, and who feature in some of the videos that have surfaced, have decided not to travel to Dublin with SU, as they feel it would be counter-productive with all the current animosity and potential for conflict.

The SU will be making a decision on it's relationship with FEE tonight after the FEE meeting. We will take into account the opinions recieved by email and posted on here along with other considerations. I'll post up here when that decision is made.

Finally, I'd like to thank all those who emailed, it is important to convey your views and it is definitely the right way to go about it.
    I'd also like to thank Loco and Niaodh for their modding in last day, they were fantastic!

If anyone wants more information, or still is unsure about tomorrow, please get in touch.

Muireann

su.president@nuigalway.ie / 086 385 5502

Let me know.

su.nuigalway.ie

Sponser me across hot coals! http://www.mycharity.ie/event/muireann_odwyers_event/

• Advertisement

glad ta see that response from SU so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JohnCleary wrote: »

Congrats FEE, you managed to make complete twats of yourselves

That they surely did. Wonder if there is going to be an apology of any sort for their accusations of racism against that garda/gardai? Are these FEE muppets local does anyone know?

very serious allegations accusing gardai of racism.. while trying to protect an ex-taoiseach from unwarrented violence. who was also on crutches until recently.

the student union should insist on an apology.

If I was the Gardai i'd be chasing after these FEE crowd. Making alligations of assault/racism wouldn't be taken lightly in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Traditionally universities were champions of free speech. Peaceful protest is OK, but nobody should be physically stopped from visiting a university function or speaking at such a function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The initial comments were made before the camera was recording. In the short clip the person comes to question the garda about comments he had made while dragging the lad across the road. The lad tells the garda he is infact half Irish Half Pakistani to which the garda replies "I dragged your White arse over here am I racist for that too?"

In a situation like this that comment is antagonising and imo of a racial nature as the gard is effectively mocking the lad about comments he had made before. People can feel free to form what ever opinions they want over what has happened. The same people that would be the first to accuse the gardai of negligence are the first to defend their actions here. Alls well in a hypocritical country, protect a crook at all cost its those darn students who wish not to be burdened with debt that are the bad guys!!

imho, this group FEE are a bunch of fcukwad attention seeking muppets with nothing better to do. Go and learn something you twats or at least find a girlfriend for yourself. Or even maybe a hobby? And I mean a REAL hobby, going online and accusing Guards of being racist/assault doesn't count

This is coming from a student btw....

Oh, and by the way, I'm STILL STILL STILL waiting for evidence to back your claims up. Until then, you're a lying twat

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

where can we see the footage.it seems to be taken off youtube

Videos available now are only mobile videos. A video camera was there and we're still waiting on that video to be uploaded.

can we see the mobile vids

• Advertisement

There are only bad vids from inside the college up so far. they are up on youtube now. Hopefully the other vids will be up soon.

any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The initial comments were made before the camera was recording. In the short clip the person comes to question the garda about comments he had made while dragging the lad across the road. The lad tells the garda he is infact half Irish Half Pakistani to which the garda replies "I dragged your White arse over here am I racist for that too?"

In a situation like this that comment is antagonising and imo of a racial nature as the gard is effectively mocking the lad about comments he had made before. People can feel free to form what ever opinions they want over what has happened. The same people that would be the first to accuse the gardai of negligence are the first to defend their actions here. Alls well in a hypocritical country, protect a crook at all cost its those darn students who wish not to be burdened with debt that are the bad guys!!

Until there is video evidence that is clear and legible I think you should keep your accusations to yourself. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Videos available now are only mobile videos. A video camera was there and we're still waiting on that video to be uploaded.

LOL, WTF is going on, you've been saying that for a while now - 'the videos will be uploaded soon'. Either you have zilch evidence of Gardai abusing their power or you are editing it to make it look worse. The first (crap) videos were up in no time as would be expected from a group that feel very strongly about the whole issue, yet for some strange reason no one can figure out how to connect a friggin camcorder to a pc? Here's a hint, use a USB cable.

I don't personally have the videos so what do you want me to do? Also the video is going to be used in a complaint against the gardai's actions so I am not even sure if it is able to be put up yet. If i had it though wouldn't i put it up?

Might shut some of you who come here never being listened to in reality giving it the big one on an internet forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Oh so now you are not 'even sure if it is able to be put up'...after a several pages of saying it's coming. This FEE crowd are a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

I don't personally have the videos so what do you want me to do? Also the video is going to be used in a complaint against the gardai's actions so I am not even sure if it is able to be put up yet. If i had it though wouldn't i put it up?

Might shut some of you who come here never being listened to in reality giving it the big one on an internet forum!

Exactly no-one cares what any snot nose twat on a forum thinks anyway,I think some people seem to have an inflated sense of self-importance.

On the issue itself: Things did get out of hand but this was completely down to the gardai.They did not engage in dialogue with the group like they did on another occasion which copperfastened a peaceful protest.Instead this time the gards just launched without warning at the protesters,thus putting students safety at risk.

I will say one thing for that nights events.If the protest was a simple picket it wouldnt have been heard about.But because of the bahaviour of the gardai and the escalation the issue is now in national media once again,and very timely indeed for todays march.Garda tactics backfired as they just promoted the message that was being sent out by putting the incident all over the news.

It seems the only people giving out about it are up-their-own-hole society reps etcetc who do not speak for the many thousands of people who attend NUIG,in different circles different responces are to be expected,it is only natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

Pub07 wrote: »
    Oh so now you are not 'even sure if it is able to be put up'...after a several pages of saying it's coming. This FEE crowd are a complete joke.

boo hoo

there was a meeting in the college forwarding the video evidence which clearly shows a member of the gardai assaulting a member of fee by grabbing him and throwing him violently on the tarmac,it was shown who caused the excalation.This was unprovoked.But this doesnt matter to you im sure,perhaps you like a man in uniform dominating you;)

I sit on various committee's all over the country and deal with plenty more politics than some flimsy group set up by 20 students. Latest was campaigning to abolish proposed bye-laws by a Council. Guess what.. we were SUCCESSFUL. Wanna know why? Cause we didn't go around with video recorders shouting "Racist" and then come onto an internet forum ranting about the Gardai. So please don't make little of people you don't know.

<snip> you made your point </snip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think that's pretty much it.
    Should any more "evidence" come to light, PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement