Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRacing

• 03-02-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Any of you lot still in iRacing?
    I've recently got back into it (2 weeks). I rescued my SR from a 2.1x(Road) and 2.22(Oval) up to 3.89(Road) and 4.65(Oval) and got my D Licence.
    I'm loving it! I now have a new favourite sim! :D

It is pricey enough but i personally think it's worth it!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I quit for a while as the time slots for races didnt really suit me.
    I resubbed recently and delighted i did.
    I always knew it was liight years of everything else as a sim but now with the latest build and especially the open practice servers its just got even more amazing.
    Quite simply nothing else comes close in the sim world.

Currently
    Class C 3.54 on Road
    Class D 4.54 on Oval

Im very tempted to get into oval a bit more, id like to get my rank up enough to race the monster Impala SS.
    Ill probably keep running the skip barber and solstice challenge on road and then legends and late model on oval to work my way to the Impala which needs class A or B.

Say hello on the Celtic club forums Nik :)

Ah canccel that . i see you already did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

It can be pricey, but it is only as expensive as you want it to be. For me the only series that really interests me is the Skip Barder, so I can get by with just the subscription cost, and then buy any new tracks as they are added to the series.

I'm still loving the sim, but with work, I don't have much opportunity to turn laps, let alone try racing.

You guys still iracing?
    I just cant get enough of it.
    The open practice servers are just a huge addition.
    I recently bought some oval content, got the late model and its tracks aswell as the Silverado and its tracks,ill never doubt the skill of oval racers again or indeed the great racing.
    Im concentrating on the formula mazda mostly but have the odd race in the skippy, late model, silverado and ofcourse the superb radical.
    I made this small video of lastnights star mazda series race at laguna Seca, we battled like this for 29 laps for 2nd place :)

http://www.vimeo.com/3556173

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I drive when I can, but while I can find decent enough pace, I can't find enough consistency to actually race. I pop into practice sessions when I have a bit of spare time.

I think I spotted you in a few Infineon Mazda sessions a couple of weeks ago.

OSiriS wrote: »
    I drive when I can, but while I can find decent enough pace, I can't find enough consistency to actually race. I pop into practice sessions when I have a bit of spare time.

I think I spotted you in a few Infineon Mazda sessions a couple of weeks ago.

Yep that was me struggling to get to grips with Infineon in the mazda.
    Such a pocket rocket of a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I just re-signed up now I can afford it again. Going gearbox Kart racing this year, so I figured I might as well start turning laps in iRacing again. Shame its regional, I'd rather be racing the guys back in Ireland TBH, but still its great craic, especially now that I have a nice 24" monitor to play it on.

Some of the tracks I'll be running are on (Road America, Milwaukee Mile and Miller Motorsports Park), are or will be in iRacing so it will be good to compare notes. Hopefully I can cram Laguna Seca in there too.

Haven't done a whole load of driving in iRacing yet, so my licences aren't too great right now. Class D Oval 3.00 and Rookie 1.49 Road. I keep tripping over slow people on road courses, so I need to work on that LOL. People brake in the stangest places sometimes! Love the Legend on the short tracks, great racing.

Just to update the link to my videos.
    http://www.vimeo.com/user1391282/videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What kind of computer & equipment do I need to try iracing? Ive seen the website and subscription costs are ok. What other costs are involved?
    Ive never heard of it until last week. Does it require permanent internet connection while playing or can I do test laps while offline? Will it work ok with a mobile broadband connection (Not the quickest connection)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

What kind of computer & equipment do I need to try iracing?

Most semi-modern computers with some sort of 3D graphics card will work. My PC is a P4 3.0Ghz/2GB/6800GT, its a dinosaur by today's standards. Heres the page from iRacing.com

http://www.iracing.com/membership/tech.php

You will need a steering wheel if you havent got one already. Logitech G25 is ideal, but the Logitech DFP and Microsoft Sidewinder USB are cheap wheels to get started out on.

Does it require permanent internet connection while playing or can I do test laps while offline?

short anwser is no internet=no driving, testing or otherwise, the interface is all web based.

Will it work ok with a mobile broadband connection (Not the quickest connection)

Hard to answer that one, the speed/bandwidth will be fine, the problem is more to do with the latency of your connection (response time), rather than your bandwidth....I'm doubtful, but it really does depend on how good your connection is.

Regarding your net connection, there is an option in your account section of the iracing site to set net connection to low, this has been known to help those on slower connections.
    It basically displays fewer cars onscreen and turns off voice chat and text chat thus lowering bandwidth reqiuirement somewhat.

Dont forget you can get a months trial of iracing here
    http://www.radicalsportscars.com/racing/virtual-racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thanks, will look into it. Sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

cully you whore you've got me addicted to this game was looking forward to summit point tonight and the site is down for maintenance

oh new build woot

Grim have you got stuck into the free Spec Racer Ford yet?
    What a fantastic car.

had a quick blast in it alright very cool little car much better for advancing to open wheel racing than the solstice imo.

I'm finding the summit point short course in the solstice very good fun still a bit off the pace of the better drivers pb atm is 1.11.480 average lap is 1.12.700 but considering its my first proper sim useing the wheel and pedals and gears im fairly happy with my attempts am starting to get more confidence for trowing the car into the corners at higher speeds

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss

won my first race sumit point in the solstice im ****ing delighted with my self didnt put a foot wrong all race started second on the grid stayed there for 20 laps about 3 seconds off the lead 6 laps to go the leader spun out of the last corner and i brought it home 3 seconds in front laped in low 1.11s and mid to high 1.12s near the end

Well done mate, it feels damn good getting that first win.
    Ive a big grin on my face while reading as you describe the race :)
    I must join ya on TS soon for some lols.

having trouble with the ford at summit point am running 2 seconds a lap slower than the fast guys who i normally aim to be within 1/2 a second of. Not really sure where i'm losing the time either maybe a better setup would help but i haven't got a clue how to set a car up so that could be a problem

Grim i put a setup on the Celtic club forum ,its Ian lakes set and its very stable.
    What times are you getting ?
    The top guys are hitting 1:21s,my best is 1:23 usually 1:24s consistant race pace usually good for top 5 finish.

If you want ill join TiG TS later and we can do a session?

Link to the setup here
    http://members.iracing.com/iforum/thread.jspa?threadID=35657&tstart=0

eek only hitting about 1.25.600s atm i upped the psi in the fronts last night and shaved half a second off but am nearly certain its alot to do with my technique aswell i was shifting way to late etc i think when im used to the car i will be able to run faster down to low 1.24s maybe late 1.23s but that will be it i think suffering with carpal tunnel atm so cant put to much practice in before im in alot of pain

• Advertisement

done another practice session tonight got my best time with the new setup down to 1.24.800 still not great but i think i can still go abit faster

Nice one , thats a very decent time.
    I havent really done much SRF this week.,think i done one race.
    Ive been mostly racing the mazda and the daytona prototype class A car along with some Late Model and CSC Ovals.

had a few quick runs at lime rock tonight best time of 1.00.800 aiming for mid 0.59s

still cant play atm iracing will not detect the wheel correctly seems to be ok in Gtr but is unusable in iracing :(

Advertisement