Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South East Asia Trip

• 03-02-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning an extended trip to south east aisa taking in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam from April of this year.. spending roughly one month in each country.

Is this time frame realistic, or will we find we run out of things to do in some places.

Also money wise how expensive would a trip like this be excluding flights (as we have them well sussed out) i mean in terms of accomodation and spending money.. How much should we prepare to bring.

I would love to hear any advice you can offer on such a trip, including tips on places to go and see.. Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bri~

One month per country would be fine, you could perhaps spend a little less time in Cambodia and more in the other countries. You would need to be on the go every two or three days if you wanted to see each country extensively.

How much money to bring will depend on your 'comfort needs', when I did the same trip 3 years ago I got by on about $25 a day, and that included transport, accommodation, food, alcohol etc. You will probably find the best accommodation deals in twin rooms, but you can always push the beds together. Accommodation is pretty cheap and the standards were not too bad considering the cost! Cambodia and Laos are of course less developed and accommodation is very basic outside of Pnomh Penh, Siem Riep and Vientienne. I could write for hours and hours but this stuff is well documented online!

I'd recommend these spots...

Thailand

Chiang Mai - beautiful city up north, great trekking + outdoor activities here.

Pai - Didn't make it to this small town but it's supposed be amazing, and cheap! The secret has been out about this place for a while.

Sukhothai and Ayutthaya - for temples & essential Thai history

Lopburi - For the monkeys!

Bangkok for just being Bangkok

Ko pha ngan & ko tao - Beach parties and beautiful scenary

Cambodia

Siem Riep/Angkor. Amazing, you need at least three days here. Rent pushbikes and cycle around the site, or take a tuk tuk out to the more remote sites.

Skourn - Busses from Siem Riep to Pnomh Penh usually stop here for the locals to buy Sipders....for eating.

Pnomh Penh - Killing fields and S-21. Heavy going but essential

Sinhoukville - Beautiful beaches

Kampot - Bokor and the last stand of the Khmer Rouge

Vietnam

The Mekong Delta and floating markets

Ho Chi Min/Saigon - for history and great night life

Hoi An - Beautiful seaside town famous for tailoring

Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island - The Bay is a must see

Hanoi - Great atmosphere in the old quarter

Laos

Vientienne - possibly the most laid back capital in the world!?

Vang Vieng - Go tubing!

Luang Prabang - Preserved Laos town on the banks of the Mekong, a must see.

Phonsavon - for the Iron Age Plain of Jars site plus the trip through Laos countryside is breathtaking.

The gibbon experience - Didn't make it here myself, looks fantastic though - http://www.gibbonx.org/

Hope this helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Bri~ wrote: »
    Vang Vieng - Go tubing!

Make sure you do this! It's great!

Advertisement