Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitting the ground running hard! - Nz Advice.

Options
  • 03-02-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi all,

I had a quick search through some of the threads here, but thought that posting a thread more specific to my needs might be more pertinent.

I've got a WHV, 500EUR and the credit card to back me up, however for obvious reasons I'd much prefer avoiding that situation.

I have a degree in physics, A year in I.T. Customer support, A year teaching English in Korea to my credit. My only real concern is saving enough to leave the country in about 6 - 9 months time, I have no qualms about physical labor or any form of work for that matter, and being a keen cook, am wondering is this might be a chance for me to have a go at cooking for a small cafe, but this is just a pipe dream of sorts.
    However, settling and taking a 6 month contract in an office would not be a problem either.

What I'd like to ask is:
    • Which city would you reccomend for weather and surfing on the north island?
    • Would Wellington suit this purpose were I to have a cheap car?
    • Would it be worth my time getting a cheap car and hitting the harvest route for work?
    • How much is gym membership?

I have some contact's via a friend in wellington and a neighbor who has returned after living his life in NZ, but any info you could put forth would be appreciated.

I know 500 is cutting it thin, but I'm not drinking at the moment, and having been on the road for 3 months now, I am willing to endure a spartan lifestyle for another while longer.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I was paying 60/70 a month for gym on Cuba St in Wellington. Yes you can surf in Wellington, look up Lyall bay, it's good when it works but not very consistent, especially in the warmer months. There are other breaks up the coast a bit too. When I arrived there almost 2 years ago, I got a job paying quite well doing 2nd Level IT Support stuff, and phone was ringing quite a lot with details of other jobs. I had about 8 years experience though in similar roles. NZ is currently in recession so the situation may have changed altogether. Have a look at seek.co.nz for an idea of the job situation.

Cars are cheap and you don't need insurance.

Weather in Wellington can be quite hellish in winter, nearly wanted to go home at one stage because of it! Windy windy windy all the time, lashing rain/sleet etc. All that stuff. The main problem is their houses are FREEZING and don't have heating built into them, so even though it probably doesn't get quite as cold as Ireland, you feel it a lot more in their poorly insulated houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Have you already bought your flight out of NZ? I'm pretty sure you have to have either 1. Your return flight bought or 2. Evidence that you have enough funds to do so. If you don't have either you might have trouble getting in.

/edit: I think 500euros is cutting it VERY thin. NZ is in recession and I'd say jobs are fairly few and far between. You may need to survive for a while paying rent etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You need more money than that to come here.
    I'd ad another E1000 to that min.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Have you already bought your flight out of NZ? I'm pretty sure you have to have either 1. Your return flight bought or 2. Evidence that you have enough funds to do so. If you don't have either you might have trouble getting in.

/edit: I think 500euros is cutting it VERY thin. NZ is in recession and I'd say jobs are fairly few and far between. You may need to survive for a while paying rent etc.

when you have the WHV, you don't need that, just proof you've the cash for it. dont know anyone who's been asked to prove the cash situation, but as always, advice is safe rather than sorry.

Have your return flights paid for. If things turn to ****, you need to be able to get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I think 500 euro , like everyone else is cutting it a bit fine. However if your still keen , I highly recommend Auckland. Most people bad mouth it but I really came to like it a lot after living there and getting used to it. There's plenty of work in IT support still, the day I was leaving I was still getting a call about working for Vodafone doing tiered support (24 hr/ 7day shift work though) so its there but the hours might be pants. Rent wise I was living in a western suburb called Avondale which was alright, handy to a train into the CBD so not too bad, once we got a van it was easy street. Rent was $325 a week between two of us but we were getting paid enough and that included water and rubbish but not electricity. Car wise you have Ellerslie car market every sunday which is huge so will have plenty of choice. I think you'll be alright getting work, send your CV to the recruitment agencies (Madison is the only one I can think of off hand) and see what they say. Try and get interviews lined up for the week you arrive. Also get a NZ mobile ASAP for the call backs, I got a cheap Vodafone one for $99 which did the job. The only thing I'd try and do If I was you would be get some more euro's to help you get started off on the right foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated!

With regards to the return flight clause and fund's requirements, My credit card is acceptable according to the conditions I have read before.
    Windy windy windy all the time, lashing rain/sleet etc.
    Lol, Some good old fashioned Connemara weather then! I've been away for about a year and a half now, so I'm sure the novelty and nostaligia value will carry me for a month... :)

But thanks for the warning about the house's and poor insulation, I've heard about that alright. Good to hear that there are some spot's near Wellington as well.

Just to ask further, Do the Kiwi's use GSM phones, or will I have to buy an NZ phone?

Also, Do NZ companys use 6 month contracts or are they looking for longer term staff at the very bottom of the ladder?

I guess survival is the priority for the moment given the little money I have, but I'm not exactly dying to throw myself back in to the corporate office space life. If I have to I will, but if work in Labor or Catering services will sustain me, then I wouldn't be complaining either. As it is, my friend in Wellington is pissed of at being in a boring office job when he feels he should be enjoying the country more.

Just to ask as well, What paper work to I need to get sorted ASAP, Do I need to go out and get a tax no. , Will I need to register with the local authorities, What do I need to get a bank account...............and anything else that you think may be of assistance to me.

You Suck! wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated!

With regards to the return flight clause and fund's requirements, My credit card is acceptable according to the conditions I have read before.

sweet as.

Lol, Some good old fashioned Connemara weather then! I've been away for about a year and a half now, so I'm sure the novelty and nostaligia value will carry me for a month... :)

that's the spirit ;)
    But thanks for the warning about the house's and poor insulation, I've heard about that alright. Good to hear that there are some spot's near Wellington as well.

keep an eye out for mouldy houses too. you wouldn't believe the difference it can have on your health. don't even get me started on the amount of fatalities every winter among the old/weak cos of respiratory problems to do with mould, and the amount of kids i've worked with who have constant coughs and chest problems...
    \
    Just to ask further, Do the Kiwi's use GSM phones, or will I have to buy an NZ phone?

ill be honest, i have no idea wtf GSM is.. but here, you need to buy a vodafone simcard, and cool, you can put it in your phone as long as it's unlocked... Telecom, though you need to buy a telecom phone.. .they don't have simcards, you just need to buy one of their phones.
    i think i remember a new network being launched a couple months ago, but i dont remember their offers being any more suitable to me than the bloody vodafone ones.
    Also, Do NZ companys use 6 month contracts or are they looking for longer term staff at the very bottom of the ladder?

um... no idea, really, i think it'll depend on the company.
    I guess survival is the priority for the moment given the little money I have, but I'm not exactly dying to throw myself back in to the corporate office space life. If I have to I will, but if work in Labor or Catering services will sustain me, then I wouldn't be complaining either. As it is, my friend in Wellington is pissed of at being in a boring office job when he feels he should be enjoying the country more.

it is such an amazing country. make sure and do the best you can to see it all. i still havent, and ive been here for 14months, cos i been working min wage, part time, and just don't have the cash, and if i get kicked out in 3 months, that will be my biggest regret.

not entirely sure about surfing up hte north island, im in christchurch... but piha, i guess is an obvious one. new plymouth is supposed to be great as well, im planning a trip there sometime over the next year.

wellington, watna's been living there for coming close to a year now, she's your man for assessing the place, though i guess if you have mates there already, you probably have that a bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good all round advice here. The job market is slow alright. I have been looking now for IT work for 2 months and there is not much going at the moment. Most IT work is in Wellington then Auckland. If I started looking in those places I would definately have something alright but I wanted to try out christchurch first.

Maybe it was a mistake coming here but the other half landed on her feet with a dream job in 2 weeks and a promotion after a month. So what can I do? Ill stay for a few months and will see then what happens here. At the moment im looking for any type of work to tie me over and things are definately tight.

I think companies are just after getting very cautious in hiring staff at the moment unless they really have to.

Any job going Crumble Foo?;)

ha, i have no idea. i can get you a job, more than likely, if you don't mind young kids. otherwise, i know nothing about nothing here :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

LOL I dont mind anything that gets me a few $ in my back pocket.

keep an eye out for mouldy houses too. you wouldn't believe the difference it can have on your health. don't even get me started on the amount of fatalities every winter among the old/weak cos of respiratory problems to do with mould, and the amount of kids i've worked with who have constant coughs and chest problems...

Yeah, I've had bronchitis in the past, and add to that I'm a smoker :eek:
    But I have a good nose for noticing moldy houses.
    ill be honest, i have no idea wtf GSM is.. but here, you need to buy a vodafone simcard, and cool, you can put it in your phone as long as it's unlocked... Telecom, though you need to buy a telecom phone.. .they don't have simcards, you just need to buy one of their phones.
    i think i remember a new network being launched a couple months ago, but i dont remember their offers being any more suitable to me than the bloody vodafone ones.
    You said the magic word!!!
    GSM = Simcard, Hopefully it's the same standard as everywhere else, more then likely is. Thanks!

it is such an amazing country. make sure and do the best you can to see it all. i still havent, and ive been here for 14months, cos i been working min wage, part time, and just don't have the cash, and if i get kicked out in 3 months, that will be my biggest regret.
    That's why I'm not exactly dying to get an office job, on the other hand min wage means it's harder to see the place, catch 22 of sorts........But I'd say I'll start with a basic job, and if it isn't enough, move on to the office job.
    not entirely sure about surfing up hte north island, im in christchurch... but piha, i guess is an obvious one. new plymouth is supposed to be great as well, im planning a trip there sometime over the next year.
    Yeah, that's kinda why I'm more tempted to settle on a east coast town, but I suppose it would be a better Idea to see the lay of the land before I make any decisions.

Thanks for your help.

Now, could I bother someone with these questions, or should I use the search function ;)
    • What paper work to I need to get sorted ASAP?
    • Do I need to go out and get a tax no.?(Presume I do)
    • What do I need to get a bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

You Suck! wrote: »
    Yeah, I've had bronchitis in the past, and add to that I'm a smoker :eek:
    But I have a good nose for noticing moldy houses.

You said the magic word!!!
    GSM = Simcard, Hopefully it's the same standard as everywhere else, more then likely is. Thanks!

That's why I'm not exactly dying to get an office job, on the other hand min wage means it's harder to see the place, catch 22 of sorts........But I'd say I'll start with a basic job, and if it isn't enough, move on to the office job.

Yeah, that's kinda why I'm more tempted to settle on a east coast town, but I suppose it would be a better Idea to see the lay of the land before I make any decisions.

Thanks for your help.

Now, could I bother someone with these questions, or should I use the search function ;)
    • What paper work to I need to get sorted ASAP?
    • Do I need to go out and get a tax no.?(Presume I do)
    • What do I need to get a bank account?

Have a look here for the info on the WHV http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/irelandworkingholidayscheme.htm

If you have an address here (your friend in Wellington?) you can apply for an IRD number before you get here http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/irdnumbers/

Opening a bank account here is really, really easy. You can even do that before you get here with, say, ASB's Migrant banking division and then you just go into a branch when you get here and get your EFTPOS card (like a Laser card - cash is not used very much here) and it only takes a few minutes. http://www.asb.co.nz/Personal/Banking-with-ASB/Moving-to-New-Zealand/Migrant-Banking

I'm not sure from reading your answer to the return flight question that you would actually HAVE a return ticket (or an onward ticket to OZ for instance - that'd be a lot cheaper) - you won't get in if you don't - it doesn't matter that you could afford it (credit card) - they just won't let you in.

Good luck :)

and just to add, a westpac elect account is entirely free, as long as you only use westpac ATMs. :)

not sure what we had to do open ours, but then, ours was a joint account. think twas just passports and and envelope with our names on it or something.

Just to clear up the thing about the return ticket from Immi.nz:
    hold a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket*

*You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.

My Credit card statement should be more then enough to prove that I have access to funds required for both the stay of my duration and the price of the ticket home. I'm going to double check, but as far as I know that is the situation with NZ immi.

If anyone knows for certain that it may be different let me know.

Thanks.

NZ is fairly strict on its immigration rules. Have an onward or return ticket ready before you get here. Have it so its easy change the date, but I'd suggest you don't chance arriving and saying you've got enough money and expect to be let in.

On my last trip back here I came on a one way ticket. I got hassled twice about a one way ticket. It took me a while to explain to them that my work visa & permit allows for multiple entries and exits plus I'm sponsored and therefore working.

With the current economic market and work situation they could easily say no to your entry unless you've a way to get home.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/0ADBFDA3-EFEB-4638-B6AB-896C7851C36B/0/TemporaryEntry.pdf

Page: 103
    V2.20.1 Evidence of funds or sponsorship
    a. Visa or immigration officers must be satisfied that visitors have provided evidence of either
    sufficient funds or sponsorship.
    b. Evidence of sufficient funds includes, but is not limited to the following:
    • cash
    • travellers' cheques
    • bank drafts
    • recognised credit cards with sufficient credit available
    • (for group visas) certification from a reputable travel agency.

Hopefully this is valid for Whv, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I'll give them a call during the week just to make sure that everything is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

I didnt get asked to prove anything at immigraton so its the luck of the draw really. Just stamped my passport and and said welcome to nz :)

There is IT work in Welly at the mo, just got a job myself last week and had two more interviews lined up so you'll probably find something. Was very slow up until Feb but seems to be picking up now.

Flying out tomorrow, Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you posted on how I do, and hopefully should all work out well. Hopefully someday, I'll be able to help someone as you have all helped me.

Many thanks.

Hey, just to say that everything went smoothly. When the woman at immigration asked if I had a job, I said no, but that I had a friend in Wellington. She was satisfied when I said this and asked for no proof of funds.

Westpac set up an account on my Irish address, and again no problems there.

Got a job through Madision recruitment selling tickets for a rugby match and am trying for a kitchen staff job in town, and am hoping to have accommodation sorted soon.

All in all, I have to complement NZ on the efficiency of some of their services, and that I am more then impressed.

Lets hope it keeps going well.

• Advertisement

awesome man, good to hear! keep us updated!

man, that's two new boardsies in wellington... gotta get my ass in gear and get up there i reckon.

Advertisement