Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in exterior wall

Options
  • 03-02-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have a small hole, approx 10-15mm, in an exterior wall of my house. The hole is from a cable I had coming through for broadband connection which has recently been removed.

What's the best thing to use to seal it up and to prevent damp etc.? Expanding foam? Cheers.

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

all weather sealant from a mastic gun would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

For a whole of that size I would recommend using a cement based filler (like Polyfilla Weatherproof) to plug the hole. I've found it very good for filling smaller holes up to 25mm (1 ") or so in diameter. For very small holes I've often used decorator's acrylic caulk, especially if it will be overpainted and this gives good results also. With deep holes it's a good idea to plug the hole with fibre glass or polystyrene as a backer and finish off the last 20- 30mm with the filler proper- otherwise very deep filled holes can shrink and leave a very obvious depression etc.

Advertisement