Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Macbook, advice please?....

Options
  • 03-02-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking at buying a mac (preferably macbook pro 17" with 2GB RAM or more).
    I've looked in the obvious places such as the official site etc...
    I've also considered the mac mini option although I think I do need the laptop.
    I need the 17" as I'm graphic designer and find it constricting on anything smaller. The iMac represents good enough value but again I think I need the laptop version.

So has anyone any recent experience in this market?
    Where are the alternative places to look online for good value? (I can get delivered to the North if needs be)
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I bought a Macbook pro about 5 months ago and haven't looked back..awesome machine with excellent OS. Don't think about it, just find the cheapest one and buy it, you wont regret it..

Try www.laptopsdirect.ie, that was the cheapest I saw though I bought mine in the apple store in NY at the time. Laptops direct was almost the same price as it..

EDIT: Here you go =>

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Apple_MacBook_Pro_MB604B-A/version.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Wasn't sure whether to move here, or laptops. Anyway, mods feel free to move it back if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

I had a reply within 5 minutes and sinced its moved I've had none?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

If you are a graphic designer then I don't think the 2GB is enough RAM. You should consider factoring the price of extra RAM into your figures to see if it's still affordable.

The MacBook Pro is an excellent machine, I have mine a year this month and love it. Newer versions have some excellent touchpad features that would certainly be useful to a graphic designer.

If you can get it delivered to the North then maybe try the Apple UK store: http://www.apple.com/uk/

To be honest, I don't think you'll get it cheaper anywhere else unless you go for a reconditioned laptop but you won't really know what you're getting then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

r3nu4l wrote: »
    If you are a graphic designer then I don't think the 2GB is enough RAM. You should consider factoring the price of extra RAM into your figures to see if it's still affordable.

The MacBook Pro is an excellent machine, I have mine a year this month and love it. Newer versions have some excellent touchpad features that would certainly be useful to a graphic designer.

If you can get it delivered to the North then maybe try the Apple UK store: http://www.apple.com/uk/

To be honest, I don't think you'll get it cheaper anywhere else unless you go for a reconditioned laptop but you won't really know what you're getting then.

Apple's own refurbs are tested more than the usual machines, because they have to replace whatever was faulty and run a complete check on the whole system. Brand new ones don't get that level of checks on them, they randomly test 1 per 100/1000 or whatever the case may be. Some very, very good value on the refurb store.

OP, you seem a bit unsure. Do you need portability? You could get a really, really nice iMac with a 24 inch screen for 200 less than the MBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple's own refurbs are tested more than the usual machines, because they have to replace whatever was faulty and run a complete check on the whole system. Brand new ones don't get that level of checks on them, they randomly test 1 per 100/1000 or whatever the case may be. Some very, very good value on the refurb store.

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about refurbs from the apple store, I was talking about some of the unofficial refurbs you find in one-off computer stores (i.e. not a computer store chain) and on some online auction sites. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about refurbs from the apple store, I was talking about some of the unofficial refurbs you find in one-off computer stores (i.e. not a computer store chain) and on some online auction sites. ;)

Fairy muff. Couple of nice iMacs and MBP/MBP Pros on there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

I'm certain now that portability is a must so the iMac not on option for me, I'll have a look at the Apple refurbs as suggested.

Thanks to all and if anyone else has any suggestions it would be great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I'm using an Apple-refurb'ed 17" MBP with hi-resolution screen (more pixels than a 20" iMac) and it's superb.

You can't alter the spec of what's available in the refurb store (but apple RAM is way overpriced anyway), so order the extra RAM from www.crucial.com/eu/ - fast delivery and great prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Talisman

Also check eBay - I've seen the 17" Macbook Pro for sale there for £1799.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Im looking to buy macbook (didnt want to start a new thread)

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5BF5&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=macbook&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Should i buy from dabs instead of the apple store? they are cheaper but are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Dabs is a large reputable UK retailer - I've bought a ton of stuff off them over the years (even before the .ie site existed and you had to use dabs.co.uk for Ireland as well). I'd definitely recommend them.

The reason that dabs.ie is currently cheaper than Apple themselves is because they adjust their prices off the current £ exchange rate - if you check the price on dabs.co.uk, you'll find that the one on dabs.ie reflects it in €. Apple don't adjust their prices based on currency fluctuations and, for now, they are more expensive than sites likes dabs.ie.

Yes have used Dabs a lot. Major problem with the 5/6 years ago but very good since. In fact they picked up a Canon all-in-one and brought it back for repair even though it was 3 months old. Canon tried to tell me Dabs wouldn't do it, but they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BDY

Hi,

My expreinece with DABS is that I will not be returning.

I bought a Toshiba laptop of them which failed right out of the box.The screen did not work.

They are not easy to do a return-take ages to respond to emails and when they do direct you back to their website.I could not log in to the account I created to purchase and it took a considerable amount of grief to source a phone number.

By the way its
    DABS.COM PLC
    National Logistics Centre, Wingates Industrial Estate, Westhoughton, Bolton, BL5 3XU, United Kingdom
    44 0870 429 3010, 44 0870 429 7010 fax
    On eventually getting through - a feat in itself I was dealt with what I can only call a smug individual who kept repeating the mantra that he was in corporate sales and my piffling lapotop internet query was just that an internet query.There was he said no Manager available and no one in custimer services dealing with internet queries.Catch 22 if you cannot access your account they do not want to know and offer no alrternative and furthermore don't care I confess my language was less than diplomatic but it was only in response to what I beliieve to be their lack of support for internet customers experiencing problems.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    ]IN SHORT I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO TAKE HEED OF MY EXPERIENCE -I HAVE HAD TO GO TO TOSHIBA DIRECT IN THE UK AS BELEIVE IT OR NOT THEIR REPAIR SCHEDULE IS SHORTER THAN TOSHIBAS AGENTS IN IRELAND BMS.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BDY

BDY wrote: »
    Hi,

My expreinece with DABS is that I will not be returning.

I bought a Toshiba laptop of them which failed right out of the box.The screen did not work.

They are not easy to do a return-take ages to respond to emails and when they do direct you back to their website.I could not log in to the account I created to purchase and it took a considerable amount of grief to source a phone number.

By the way its
    DABS.COM PLC
    National Logistics Centre, Wingates Industrial Estate, Westhoughton, Bolton, BL5 3XU, United Kingdom
    44 0870 429 3010, 44 0870 429 7010 fax
    On eventually getting through - a feat in itself I was dealt with what I can only call a smug individual who kept repeating the mantra that he was in corporate sales and my piffling lapotop internet query was just that an internet query.There was he said no Manager available and no one in custimer services dealing with internet queries.Catch 22 if you cannot access your account they do not want to know and offer no alrternative and furthermore don't care I confess my language was less than diplomatic but it was only in response to what I beliieve to be their lack of support for internet customers experiencing problems .IN SHORT I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO TAKE HEED OF MY EXPERIENCE -I HAVE HAD TO GO TO TOSHIBA DIRECT IN THE UK AS BELEIVE IT OR NOT THEIR REPAIR SCHEDULE IS SHORTER THAN TOSHIBAS AGENTS IN IRELAND BMS.

Why are you quoting your own post/double quoting? Ok, Dabs sucks and you hate them, we get it :)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

J-blk wrote: »
    Why are you quoting your own post/double quoting? Ok, Dabs sucks and you hate them, we get it :)...

I think he hit the quote button instead of the edit button (BTDT)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

But its not dabs fault it failed out of the box! and how many peple will need to return it anyway its not that common!

To be fair, having a harder time returning something is common to pretty much all Internet retailers - if you want the convenience of being able to return something without too much hassle, then buy it from a local store at a higher cost. You can't have it both ways - Internet retailers offer better prices generally but it comes at a cost of sacrificing some convenience.

I give most retailers the benefit of the doubt, if they happen to screw up one of my orders or I have to return something and it's a pain. If it happens consistently, then yes, I'll take my business elsewhere and never recommend them, but it's a bit harsh to judge on your first bad experience.

As for the case in regards to what Thewheel2.0 was asking about, he's thinking of getting a Mac and if he had issues with it while under warranty, he could get it sorted by Apple directly - Dabs wouldn't have anything to do with it...

Advertisement