Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips on how to settle a dogs stomach?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Just sitting here listening to my mums boxer dog and her stomach won't stop gurgling, it's been going on since yesterday and she looks uncomfortable, she won't settle down anywhere. She has the same diet as mine and my sisters dogs but they seem fine, though maybe cos she's a boxer her ability to digest the same food is different.

Anyway, I'm hoping to bring her to the vet this week to ask about a change in diet but in the meantime today, she just looks so uncomfortable, any tips on what I might be able to do for her? Or is it a case of I can't do anything right now & will just have to wait and see what diet the vet recommends.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Try giving her some well-cooked rice and a plain cooked chicken breast for her dinner instead of her usual food tonight. Not too much though.
    That's what we've always given our cats and dogs when they are under the weather, as it would be easier to digest.
    But the most important thing is to get her off to the vet today if, as you say, she seems to be uncomfortable. It will be worth the 40 or 50 quid for peace of mind.

PS... Keep her off the white carpets for a few days, if you know what I mean. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

try fasting her for 24hrs and see if that helps and then try the rice and boiled plain rice but if its really bad and being going on for awhile bring her to the vet!

kazza90210 wrote: »
    try fasting her for 24hrs and see if that helps and then try the rice and boiled plain rice but if its really bad and being going on for awhile bring her to the vet!

Make sure she has plenty of drinking water at her disposal at all times especially when fasting (I know this is a bit of an obvious thing to say but just make sure). I really hope she's feeling a bit better soon Leeby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Get some natural yogurt into her, It can help in a lot of cases.

looserock wrote: »
    Get some natural yogurt into her, It can help in a lot of cases.
    What about the whole lactose intolerance in dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Porridge usually goes down well and it is good in all stomach & bottom related unpleasantness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Had the same problem recently and our vet recommended a 24hr fast, except for giving her a hard boiled egg chopped up. Worked a treat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Our collie vomited for three days after a long thunderstorm; trying to get her to a vet would have stressed her even more.

She was kept tied up outside in all weathers.

We kept her hydrated and settled with chamomile and ginger tea. Through a syringe.

It was the only thing that stayed down.

We have used it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

My old king charles had stomach problems and we used to give her luke warm ready break and it always settled her stomach. Dogs love it too. Hope the poor little thing gets better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Rory123 wrote: »
    What about the whole lactose intolerance in dogs?

I think you're thinking yogurt is milk, its not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Doggymad

ask your vet about royal Canin sensitivity , its an excellent diet for any dog with stomach problems :)
    and Boiled chicken and a small bith of boiled rice is what i would use on any dog with an upset tummy ' but always speak to your vet even if its just a phone call :o

how is your dog today ?

Advertisement