Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Drivers and only Waterford Drivers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

chrism2007 wrote: »
    the first time i ever drove a car i was coming towards a roundabout in waterford

an elderly woman, probably about 70 was driving in front of me in a micra

she drove towards it in the right lane, hit the roundabout with two wheels then took the 2nd left with no indicator.

after 25 mins in a car i was a better driver than that person whos probably driving 20 years

As much as i hate the way older people drive i try tolerate them as much as possible, i always give them a wider birth anyway they have probably been driving many years before us and really need the car to get around for shopping etc etc, they were like us one day and we'll be like them one day, with younger whipper snappers saying how bad we are due to our auldness, but there are deffo some aul codgers who are a threat, sorry old people, im not being ageist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

Multivan wrote: »
    As much as i hate the way older people drive i try tolerate them as much as possible, i always give them a wider birth anyway they have probably been driving many years before us and really need the car to get around for shopping etc etc, they were like us one day and we'll be like them one day, with younger whipper snappers saying how bad we are due to our auldness, but there are deffo some aul codgers who are a threat, sorry old people, im not being ageist.

oh yeah definitely. :D sure me auld grandad was in the same situation himself. couldnt do without it.

when he was getting driving lessons the driving instructor actually said to him...

he was the only person he ever seen that actually was a worse driver after the lessons :D

chrism2007 wrote: »
    oh yeah definitely. :D sure me auld grandad was in the same situation himself. couldnt do without it.

when he was getting driving lessons the driving instructor actually said to him...

he was the only person he ever seen that actually was a worse driver after the lessons :D

Ha ha,

Imagine if he read this if he was here(dont know if you know what i mean) hed prob get angry if he thought you were sayin he was a bad driver:D

Sure youd say the same yourself if your grandson said you were a crap driver:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

sure he was the one that told me. :D

he would have been the first to admit it. he died there a few years ago but he would have had no bother telling you that and laughing

he just couldnt grasp driving

he lived out in the sticks and would just go to the shop and back. he would have never driven to the city id say

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was unaware that Waterford people drove differently then anyone else nor did I know that they learned how to drive differently compared to other countys.

Do a lot of driving, wouldnt consider any of the weird driving habbits I encounter Waterford specific. Besides, i have my own bad habbits also and at times I do stupid things when driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Bad Driving isn't limited to Waterford.... I have done many a mile over the years, I was doing 50K miles a years before I moved to waterford and I can say that bad driving is as bad here as it is anywhere else.....
    Also to say ladies are bad drivers is just unfounded... considering the insurance stats show they are better drivers then men....

My main moan about driving is being in the correct lane approaching a roundabout....

robtri wrote: »
    Bad Driving isn't limited to Waterford.... I have done many a mile over the years, I was doing 50K miles a years before I moved to waterford and I can say that bad driving is as bad here as it is anywhere else.....
    Also to say ladies are bad drivers is just unfounded... considering the insurance stats show they are better drivers then men....

My main moan about driving is being in the correct lane approaching a roundabout....

I think the insurance companies just hire the quotes for men as we tend to have more testosterone and men behind the wheel of a car can have funny things happen to them, so i reckon thats a stat.

Lads i cant believe how many times i exited lidl for exmple near woodies there, Women coming off roundabout they were indicatin left to come off the roundabout and still have it on by the time they get down to where people are trying to come out of Lidl naturally they think the women are goin into lidl as they have an indicator still on but they dont ive seen some very serious near misses there and they have all been women,i dont rely on indicators alone as women dont know how to use them.

Lets put it like this, you go to a test centre and are a learner and then you go do 40 minutes driving and you are a qualified driver,

It shouldnt be like this, you go to Germany and its hours in the car driving in snow and bad weather which you have to do, I know that the irish system is changed now lets hope its for the better.

Problem is alot of people pass the test and then they throw all the rules out the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I often pass cars that have a headlight out (probably due to the ****e roads). If the driver is unaware of this, sometimes it's just as well they have the fogs on. Otherwise, oncoming traffic might think it's a motorbike and not have the clearance they thought. Still, it is illegal and shouldn't be done!

Multivan wrote: »
    I think the insurance companies just hire the quotes for men as we tend to have more testosterone and men behind the wheel of a car can have funny things happen to them, so i reckon thats a stat.

Lads i cant believe how many times i exited lidl for exmple near woodies there, Women coming off roundabout they were indicatin left to come off the roundabout and still have it on by the time they get down to where people are trying to come out of Lidl naturally they think the women are goin into lidl as they have an indicator still on but they dont ive seen some very serious near misses there and they have all been women,i dont rely on indicators alone as women dont know how to use them.

Lets put it like this, you go to a test centre and are a learner and then you go do 40 minutes driving and you are a qualified driver,

It shouldnt be like this, you go to Germany and its hours in the car driving in snow and bad weather which you have to do, I know that the irish system is changed now lets hope its for the better.

Problem is alot of people pass the test and then they throw all the rules out the window

ohhh go back to F***ing Germany then... with your outdated sexist bull.....
    seriously... what planet do you live on... little man syndrome planet...
    Insurance companies charge men more because they are a higher risk than women...
    So when a guy is behind a wheel and as per you " has funny things happen to them" thats ok, but a woman is just dangerous.... a lot of words jumping to mind here but I don't want to get banned ......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

OP, there are statistics available to show that women drivers are in a lot less accidents then men. This is why they get cheaper insurance.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What really annoys me are people that think they make no mistakes themselves when driving and everyone else is a bad driver.

Indeed. Until you see something crazy and know you wouldn't do that yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Insurance companies charge men more because they are a higher risk than women...
    So when a guy is behind a wheel and as per you " has funny things happen to them" thats ok, but a woman is just dangerous.... a lot of words jumping to mind here but I don't want to get banned ......

Here Here!

Think the ranting about fog lights and women drivers is just ridiculous

I'm male... I make mistakes driving... I'm quite sure females make the same mistakes

Fog lights aren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

What I've been noticing lately is people are constantly pulling out in front of me, really dangerously, when I'm really close. And they shoot out as fast as possible, as if they're in a massive hurry, and then bloody insist on going about 15kmph.

That's a serious pet hate, especially when there's absolutely nothing behind me, it would be one thing if there was really bad traffic or something and they were waiting ages to get out, but they never are!

Also people need to learn indicators and roundabouts properly.

I say people should have to renew a full license at LEAST every 10 years, but that's a whoooole other conversation.

And it's not always women either - it's everyone. The only **** women drivers are unfortunately the one's rushing to collect kids from school. Always doing very dangerous and stupid things.

Anyone who says the worst drivers a young males are idiots, obviously there are some that are not good, but for the most part they take pride in their cars, love driving and wouldn't do anything to put their car in harm's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sully wrote: »
    OP, there are statistics available to show that women drivers are in a lot less accidents then men. This is why they get cheaper insurance.

In fairness, there's the thing about damn lies and statistics...

There are numerous things that can skew the statistics:
    - A small number of lunatic males (we all know a few) letting 'the side' (as it were) down.
    - Car racing enthusiasts letting loose.
    - Male suicide by car.

Also, depending on the statistics:
    - Crashes involving males (for the reasons above) being far more violent and costly than those involving women.

I personally think that males are saddled with high insurance because of boy racers and lunatics: the type of guys that rip around car parks at night or race along the ORR.

Anyway, I guess using indicators and fog lights incorrectly are less likely to cause an accident that you can be connected to. Even cutting across lanes will often be blamed on the car behind, and not being able to reverse is unlikely to be the source of too many insurance payouts. This means that a lot of bad driving is not revealed by the statistics.

Driving skill does not equal risk assessment. I personally think that each driver should be rated for insurance based on his or her skill/good practices behind the wheel, driving performance (possibly measurable by devices in the car) and past history.

merlante wrote: »
    In fairness, there's the thing about damn lies and statistics...

There are numerous things that can skew the statistics:
    - A small number of lunatic males (we all know a few) letting 'the side' (as it were) down.
    - Car racing enthusiasts letting loose.
    - Male suicide by car.

Also, depending on the statistics:
    - Crashes involving males (for the reasons above) being far more violent and costly than those involving women.

I personally think that males are saddled with high insurance because of boy racers and lunatics: the type of guys that rip around car parks at night or race along the ORR.

Anyway, I guess using indicators and fog lights incorrectly are less likely to cause an accident that you can be connected to. Even cutting across lanes will often be blamed on the car behind, and not being able to reverse is unlikely to be the source of too many insurance payouts. This means that a lot of bad driving is not revealed by the statistics.

Driving skill does not equal risk assessment. I personally think that each driver should be rated for insurance based on his or her skill/good practices behind the wheel, driving performance (possibly measurable by devices in the car) and past history.

Very well put.

Also car-related, but not Waterford (funnily enough), I think road-tax should be applied based on road-usage. Sounds novel eh? Seriously though...I drive a 1.8 car and drive around 5,000 miles a year. Someone else with an identical car will pay the same road tax as me but will drive 30,000 miles a year!

Easy there tiger! your gettin all hot and bothered, obviously there are good female drivers and good male drivers, ive just noticed that in waterford there are alot more bad women drivers than men in my experience and alot of bad drivers in general and rants normally take place in the physical sense, if i was in a rant i probably wouldnt be able to type.

I only come on here to chat and get told to **** off! that sort of stuff could get you banned. theres nothing a few stars will cover up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Deep breaths there robtri.

Can we tone down the attitude a little please. No personal comments!

takola wrote: »
    Deep breaths there robtri.

Can we tone down the attitude a little please. No personal comments!

Sorry..... Its just that attitude really gets my goat up..... I have many years experience working in the car insurance game, and its always the same.... men are better drivers then women.... well guys I hate to rain on your parade, you aren't, men are generally worse drivers as a group then women....

The reason why mens accidents are more costly is because they are generally doing "testorone fueled driving",
    Yes boy racers do push up the stats, but they are men and go towards male group stats.... sub species as they are....

This whole men v women is a generalisation.

The fact is that women are statistically lower risk to insure than men.

That does NOT mean that women are better drivers than men. There are many factors to consider in the risk assessment of drivers. How often do they drive? How far do they drive? Are there as many women on the road as men? What are their ages? This is all part of it. Safer does not mean better. It is purely down to each individual driver assessing the situation ahead of them on the road and dealing with it properly.

Let's just accept that, like in every other walk of life, there are bad eggs everywhere. There are bad male drivers and there are bad female drivers.

Let's move on. This was a ridiculous thread from the start and has turned into a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gscully wrote: »
    Let's move on. This was a ridiculous thread from the start and has turned into a farce.

Couldn't agree more,

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

That is the common perception, but in actual fact women have more accidents than men, but the severity of the accidents is much less. They have more fender benders, but men have more write offs.

People with Fog lights on should be done for driving without due care and attention. What really annoys me is seeing Garda checkpoints where they don't tell drivers to turn them off - never mind write them a ticket for it.

They are bad enough in normal circumstances*, but on a wet road the glare off the surface from foglights gives me a headache. I can understand the temptation to put the full beams on when you meet one of these inconsiderate muppets - just so you can see the road ;) - but that is illegal, and could cause an accident.

*= except Micras. Their foglights are worse than full beams. Cut they eyes out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

LMAO! :D Multivan got his ass whooped, by a girl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

lynnemc wrote: »
    Hey Multivan if you don't bother coming over the bridge and stay in KK then you wont have to worry about us bad WOMEN drivers that don't use our indicators and always have our fog lights on !:D :D
    We probable have our fog lights on cos your driving up our arses with your full beams on !
    How ya lynne. Im agreeing with Lynne cos if ya dont she might kick the bejaysus outta me :D
    echosound wrote: »
    And seanybiker, I'll challenge your lack for the title of "competent driver who is not a man". I've been driving a LWB commercial 4x4 for a few years, and can reverse park better in it than my aul dad (who's currently driving it), and he drives commercial vehicles for a living. So nyah :pac:

She would whip your ass, actually, Ill set it up hehe. You can be joint number 1. she is only 5 foot so there is room for you on the number 1 pedastal beside ehr :)
    old gregg wrote: »
    LMAO! :D Multivan got his ass whooped, by a girl :D

baaahahahhahaha.
    whoop-ass.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Drivers in Ireland are generally bad but not awful, however as for the indicators issue, yup it is shocking the amount of people who dont use them, im starting to think they should be offered as extra options on cars since no one uses them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Since this is a 'generalizations' thread I'd like to add that in my opinion the standard of driving in Ireland is pretty poor over all not just in Waterford. Can't blame ye since the rules of how you went on to obtain a license were and still are pretty poor, too. This leads to Irish drivers doing a lot of stuff they are convinced is right but it's not and also being unable (ignorant) to do other things as they simply don't know about them.

A few things spring to mind:

- Indicating: Indicating still seems regarded as optional, also if indicators are used they indicate most of the time what the driver is doing rather than what the driver intends to do.

- Lights: Fog lights are irritating and that's why they must be used only in very dense fog. They're not there to make you look cooler (front) and they don't give you 'extra safety' (back) when you're scared **** driving at night to begin with (at a snails pace I may add). The former applies mostly to 'dudes', the latter applies mostly to older people. Parking lights are for parking, like when you are for a very brief time in a dodgy spot and you're worried your unlit vehicle might endanger the traffic. Parking lights are not for twilight or even daylight driving. They are irritating.

- Turning: (left & right). When you turn left you do that from the left lane and you don't swing out to the right as if you were driving a 38 ton truck or one of them really long buses. It's a car you're driving and it's small and it's arse is not swinging in or out when you're turning so unless you're turning with the spacial awareness of a blind mole you're not going to scrape your alloys on the curb either. When you turn right you do that from the right lane and if there isn't any lane you do it from the most centric position on the road you can get to without actually going onto the wrong side of the road. That leaves most of the time enough space for other cars to pass you on the left. Of course for the driver behind such a car that requires the ability of veering over to the left and simply pass the turning car and not having a major panic attack, starting to indicate and brake and swerve all at the same time and then come to a halt behind the car at the last possible moment anyway.

- Roundabouts: They are are confusing and utmost care is needed mostly due to lack of indicating or wrong indicating which is due to the ROTR being actually somewhat confusing on this. Better rule on the continent I believe but even those would require people to indicate.

- Awareness: While you're driving you don't fixedly stare at a spot 15 yards in front of your car like a rabbit in the headlights. You're supposed to look ahead, have a glimpse at the dashboard, watch the mirrors occasionally, watch the car not just in front of you but also the one in front of that, watch the traffic lights your going to approach in 200 meters etc. If you did all that then maybe then you wouldn't have to come to a full stop at every roundabout even when there's no cars in sight for miles (especially women) or you would notice the car in front of you that's indicating to make a right turn so that you have ample time to move to the left in proper order rather than have a panic attack and so on.

I could go on for a while...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

This is a little off topic, but...

I hear a lot of people complaining about the standard of testing in Ireland compared to other countries, but imho, even though we don't pay for Y obligatory lessons and do X hours on the road, etc., in order to pass the driving test you absolutely have to know to use roundabouts, how to turn, who has right of way in all situations, how to observe what is going on around you, etc., etc. And not in a common sense kind of way like your dad giving you a few tips either, it is very difficult to pass a driving test (perhaps impossible) without getting professional lessons.

Someone passing a test now has to pass a theory test, which is much more difficult than it was when it was first introduced. They must then pass another short theory test before the driving test itself. Those sitting the test these days are required to know how to change the oil (in theory) and where everything under the bonnet is. Then they have to drive about for 40 minutes without making more than 8 mistakes. Where a mistake can be for something as trivial as leaving an indicator on a bit too long, road position on a strange road you've never driven on, driving too close to parked cars on a tight suburban street, responding to a hazard (could be anything on the day) in a way that the tester does not consider optimal, or not observing sufficiently on a maneuver. As many will attest, this is no mean feat in this day and age. In order to pass this driving test, you must have a lot of hours on the road and you must have a bare minimum 10 professional lessons imho, and probably a lot more, unless you have somehow been driving for years with good practices.

Where the state falls down is in facilitating driving lessons in schools, etc. But the standards are there, and they are tough to meet these days, unless you're lucky enough to find one of these mysterious friendly, talkative testers.

The state also falls down in that most of the people on the road haven't done their test in the past 10 years, because those who did their test that long ago or longer may as well have not done their test at all because the standard of driving and driving knowledge required now far exceeds what was required back then, and there is a lot more traffic on the road now to boot. Waterford roads are not perfect German roads: they are dangerous and tricky because they weren't built for cars. Anyone who has done their test in the last 10 years, and particularly since the theory test came in and the media started going nuts about road deaths, will know that their driving ability far exceeds the average on the road.

The other problems are cultural: this business of "as soon as you get your test you never drive that way again" chuckle chuckle, is bull****. There is nothing that you do for the test that you shouldn't do every day for the rest of your life. It's maybe a case of the older crap drivers corrupting the young. But luckily younger people seem to think that road safety is important. At the next mixed (age group) gathering you're at, bring up indicating on roundabouts and witness the age divide.

It is drivers who are, say, 35+ that are making the roads unsafe, and no amount of testing in the future is going to catch them. It'll take a major crackdown, re-testing, or another 30 years before they are off our roads. So I'd say we have a bit of a wait...

Ths topic really has run its course I think. Its no longer (not that it ever was going to be) Waterford related. This is why I closed your first one OP :)

Ill give the thread 24hours and if we can somehow discuss something unique to Waterford then thats great but if not then best place to take this discussion (and I wont move it, cause they will kill me!) is to the Motors forum. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ths topic really has run its course I think. Its no longer (not that it ever was going to be) Waterford related. This is why I closed your first one OP :)

Ill give the thread 24hours and if we can somehow discuss something unique to Waterford then thats great but if not then best place to take this discussion (and I wont move it, cause they will kill me!) is to the Motors forum. :)

i cant believe the amount of people driving while eatin hang blaas and drinking large bottles off the cooler and not indicating on roundabouts boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

longshanks wrote: »
    i cant believe the amount of people driving while eatin hang blaas and drinking large bottles off the cooler and not indicating on roundabouts boy

Damn it Man you got in there before me, I had a similar post in mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement