Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Excel Help

• 03-02-2009 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this isn't the right forum. I'm having difficulty converting whole numbers into percentages in excel. I'm trying to calculate what percentage 3,821 is of 3,645,199.

What I'm doing is;

B4-3,821
    B5-3,645,199

The formula I'm using is "=((B4/B5*100))" and I'm getting 10%. Which I'm sure is wrong! Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Try =SUM(B5/B4*100%)

also make sure you format the cell to show percentage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Croc wrote: »
    Try =SUM(B5/B4*100%)

You owe Croc a pint!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I used

=B4*100/B5

formatted the cell to Percentage (2 decimal places) and the result I'm getting is 10.48%

Later Addition:
    We're both making the same mistake. Multiplying by 100 AND setting the formatting to percentage is doing the same thing twice.

The correct answer is to format the results cell to percentage and use the formula =B4/B5 - giving the correct result of 0.1048%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Try =SUM(B5/B4*100%)

Thanks chief, I got roughly the same answer as before. I was just doubting whether 3,821 was really roughly 10.5% 0f 3/645,199.

Feelgood wrote: »
    You owe Croc a pint!.

Most definitely.:D
    Thoie wrote: »
    I used

=B4*100/B5

formatted the cell to Percentage (2 decimal places) and the result I'm getting is 10.48%

Thanks man, I put in your formula as well to one decimal place and got 10.5%. So am I right? 3,821 is roughly 10.5% of 3,645,199? Forgive me, I did pass maths.:o:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Thanks man, I put in your formula as well to one decimal place and got 10.5%. So am I right? 3,821 is roughly 10.5% of 3,645,199? Forgive me, I did pass maths.:o:pac:

Remove the *100 from your formula, as mentioned above. You should get approx 0.10%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Try =SUM(B5/B4*100%)

You don't need the SUM function. Just divide the small one by the big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Remove the *100 from your formula, as mentioned above. You should get approx 0.01%

Ah nice one. That looks much better! Thanks for the help lads (or girls).:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

The answer is 0.10%

Reverse the numbers in cells B5 & B4 and then apply my formula in cell B6

I find the easiest way is to use known numbers and see if the answer is correct if it is then substitute the numbers you actually want to calculate. E.G. use 10 as a % of 100 the answer is obviously 10%. so if you are getting the correct answer then you know you have the correct formula. Then change the 100 and 10 to what ever numbers you actually want to calculate

Advertisement