Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and Apple Airport Extreme Base Station

Options
  • 03-02-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I am a Smart Telecom customer and have been with them for years. I still have the free line rental package and their broadband has been faultless. But I'm looking for a bit of a speed boost.

The UPC packages look good and for the same money, I can get a 10 Mb phone and broadband package from UPC.

My question is, will the UPC modem work successfully with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. This is an 802.11n router with gigabit ethernet port, so it's my obvious wifi choice. My AEBS works fine with Smart modem right now, so I'm just wondering are there any roadblocks ahead if I go with UPC.

The contention ration with UPC concerns me, since Smart has no blips like that. But I use my internet mostly during the day when I'd expect almost noone else on the same line. But I might give it a try. If, with contention, my speed went back to 4Mb's which I have now I wouldn't mind so much.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

AlanD wrote: »
    I am a Smart Telecom customer and have been with them for years. I still have the free line rental package and their broadband has been faultless. But I'm looking for a bit of a speed boost.

The UPC packages look good and for the same money, I can get a 10 Mb phone and broadband package from UPC.

My question is, will the UPC modem work successfully with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. This is an 802.11n router with gigabit ethernet port, so it's my obvious wifi choice. My AEBS works fine with Smart modem right now, so I'm just wondering are there any roadblocks ahead if I go with UPC.

The contention ration with UPC concerns me, since Smart has no blips like that. But I use my internet mostly during the day when I'd expect almost noone else on the same line. But I might give it a try. If, with contention, my speed went back to 4Mb's which I have now I wouldn't mind so much.

Despite its pretensions the Apple is only a wireless router so there is no reason at all why it should not work with the UPC modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Does it have a built in router and ethernet WAN port?

OR
    Is it in fact what it says it is, simply an Airport?

If it has a separate WAN ethernet port and a WAN / Internet port setup screen then it will work. If it has a built in DSL modem, then it's no use.

If it has one ethernet only it's not a router. Only an airport.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The airport extreme should work with the cable modem as it has a WAN port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Cabaal wrote: »
    The airport extreme should work with the cable modem as it has a WAN port

yep, it has a WAN port. I just don't have any experience or knowledge of how cable broadband works, so was just wondering.

Great, thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote: »
    Does it have a built in router and ethernet WAN port?

OR
    Is it in fact what it says it is, simply an Airport?

If it has a separate WAN ethernet port and a WAN / Internet port setup screen then it will work. If it has a built in DSL modem, then it's no use.

If it has one ethernet only it's not a router. Only an airport.

Tut tut Watty Apple apparently dont lower themselves to do built in adsl modems:)

The Extreme is the Wireless router and the Express is the one for spreading Itunes around the house but it is pretty versatile too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm immune to Steve Jobs' jedi mind games. I buy cheaper gear.

Also I tested a lot of routers (3G type, ADSL type and ethernet only type) without having to buy them. That sort of purchasing is not ever going to be Apple kit. Zyxel, Dlink, Netgear, Dovado, Linksys/Cisco. Not Apple or Belkin.

Also I buy CDs, never iTunes. I once swapped a controller PCB on an unbacked up HDD (all PC went "BANG" inc bits out of HDD PCBs) to get back a friends 800 Euro worth of iTunes. I don't think he appreciates how unlikely some one would have a PCB for exact same HDD (with out the HDD) or recovery of data.

Advertisement