Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us the story of your username...(ancient merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I dont know, i was hoping someone else with x and o at the start and end of their username would help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

someone should start a "what are you doing up at 4am" thread :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I live on a blue bay bordering the Pacific in So Cal, and the name is also from an old romantic DVD I have starring a teenage Brooke Shields (I was 18 at the time I signed up for boards). Silly me!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

"Incorrect answer the TV guide is delivered to Chanandler Bong"
    "Actually its Miss Chanandler Bong"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Needs no explaining really............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

As in......Ms. Captain Morgan. Couldn't fit Morgan. LOVE IT

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Its the title of a Super Furry Animals song and to a certain extent it reflects my personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

mines a rory gallagher song, thats it really..

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Well i had a kidney transplant in December 2006,and the sidney part just rhymed with it tbh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tiggers are the best

People like Tigger brighten up your day, though they tend to get on some people’s nerves, especially early in the morning, before you’ve had your coffee, or whatever it is that wakes you up. These people seem to bounce out of bed with smiles on their faces and a spirit of optimism that you’d really like to pour cold water on. Either that or discover the secret to their joy.

You must tip your hat to Tigger, though. His cheerful personality brings out the best in people more times than not. There’s an innocence about Tigger that’s appealing. He claims he can fly, jump farther than a kangaroo, swim, and climb trees, although he never offers any proof. He also claims that Tiggers never get lost, which he never does.

Some might say that Tigger doesn’t live in the real world. Maybe he doesn’t. Some might say that he dreams too much. Maybe he does. Perhaps that’s why he’s such a likable character. Most of us see something in Tigger that’s magnetic. We sense that the real world doesn’t have the same effect on him that it does on almost every one else. Either that or he’s learned to react differently from the rest of us. That’s what endears him to us.

Whatever problems he has, he doesn’t allow them to be become embedded in his psyche or control his mood for very long. He maintains his bounce. In fact, without his bounce he wouldn’t be a Tigger, because “bouncing is what Tiggers do best.”

Remember those two of Winnie the Pooh's friends? They couldn't be more different. Eeyore was a downtrodden donkey. Nothing ever went right for him and he always let you know it.

Tigger, on the other hand, was so full of life and energy that no problem ever fazed him. Granted, he was a little scattered. But if you had to choose one of them as an example to follow as a business owner, which would it be?

If you're like me, you sure wouldn't choose Eeyore. Do you want to run your business on the basis of constantly expecting disaster? Not me!

It's easy to run a business like Eeyore, though. High expectations for success can leave you feeling like you've constantly fallen short of your goals. It can leave you finding problems around every corner. It can leave you feeling overwhelmed at how much you need to do.

I've been there myself. I would pick up notes on the things I felt were holding my business back. Then I'd shuffle them around for an hour or so, hoping for inspiration to strike. When none did, I'd tuck them away, no closer to a solution than when I started.

I had shut myself off from new ideas. Every new direction seemed too filled with potential problems. I was running my business like Eeyore.

It doesn't have to be like that, though.

Here's the secret I discovered: the problem in those Eeyore times weren't with my business at all; they were with me.

There is something more important to your business than how much you know marketing or what traffic-generating tactics you use in your business.

Focusing on tactics to the exclusion of more important things can easily overwhelm you and turn you into an Eeyore-like business owner. It can leave you always feeling like you're lagging behind where you should be. It can leave you feeling like you're always on the edge of failure.

But there's an alternative. Remember Tigger? Do you think you could accomplish more for your business (and in your life in general) with the kind of energy and outlook that Tigger displays?

Consider the most successful people you're aware of. Do they display energy and enthusiasm, or an Eeyore-like attitude? That energy and enthusiasm isn't something they were born with. It isn't an accident. And it isn't a RESULT of their success; it's a CONTRIBUTOR to their success.

Successful people have learned to harness their energy and outlook to lead them to success. And they don't have a corner on the market.

Changing your energy and outlook takes far less effort than you might expect. Not only that, but little changes can make a big difference in the results you achieve.

The fact is, you have far more control over your energy and outlook than you think you do. You can't will your surroundings to change to suit your wishes, but you can choose the way you deal with your surroundings.

It only takes your decision to make this change. And it can help you transform your business from an Eeyore to a Tigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

earthwormjim. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

It's home. In Irish. In one word. Phonetically.

all the jacqui's were gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

.............. wait for it........................ Its my nickname! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Dunno, had a schmig in college and thought it sounded decent. Hey presto, stuck with it. Although that schmig has now grown in to an attempt at a beard....aw....it's like Lassie Come Home with a goatee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mr-aido

nick name aido so i put mr- b4 aido thuss mr-aido

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

battser wrote: »
    .............. wait for it........................ Its my nickname! :p

+1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

I smile and surf a lot! Im so imaginative!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

A nickname given by an old friend. He reckons thats what I am.

Incidentally it turns out hes in love with me and got it tattooed on his wrist. Bad times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Mobius because I think Möbius strips are cool (It's an object with only one side and one edge!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip

42 because it's the answer to life, the Universe & Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

It's what Captain Kirk would shout if I ever marooned him for all eternity inside a dead planet..buried alive.....buried alive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

It's my name...and a convenient synthetic material used to...eh...f**k it I'm too tired to crack jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

sitting at my laptop trying to think of a name,looked out the window and saw my landcruiser jeep.....you'd never think i left school early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    It's what Captain Kirk would shout if I ever marooned him for all eternity inside a dead planet..buried alive.....buried alive

Yer gonna have to do your own dirty work from now on, do you hear me? Do. You..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 cool username

Turned to my boyfriend and said "hey what would be a cool username?"... needless to say he wasn't very helpful....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

charmer wrote: »
    A nickname given by an old friend. He reckons thats what I am.

Incidentally it turns out hes in love with me and got it tattooed on his wrist. Bad times.
    He sounds like a romantic and caring soul. Why bad times? A Tattoo on the wrist displaying ones affection about the object of their desire is the modern day equivalent of laying down a coat over a puddle for a lady in good shoes. Are you not romantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Physiology rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

Pighead wrote: »
    He sounds like a romantic and caring soul. Why bad times? A Tattoo on the wrist displaying ones affection about the object of their desire is the modern day equivalent of laying down a coat over a puddle for a lady in good shoes. Are you not romantic?

Bad times because it's an unrequited love. :(

Yes I love good old-fashioned romance but i've become a heartbreaker unintentionally. I can't convince myself i'm in love with him..:confused:

Advertisement