Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

warlock building

Options
  • 03-02-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

yesterday i dinged 74-77 so im not to far off 80 . with that in mind ive been trying to plan out my gear for 80 and talent build

im not in any guild and i would prefer if the gear i was going to build was created instead of relying on world drops till i join some small guild.

i love pvp but realise that pve is the only way i will get good gear/money so my plan is to build to totally different sets

what stats on gear should i be looking at for both pvp and pve as i realised recently after talking to another lock that obviously ive got it all wrong

in the past id look at

+ spell damage / shadow damage
    + Stam
    + crit
    + int

with all the other stats comming after that. i never stuck around long enough to see what this resilience thing actually done ? but from what ive gathered its a pvp stat.

what should i be prioritising ?

Then there is my build now im basicly all in demo / little bit in aff

but what spec should I be using for pve ? And what spec should I use for pvp ?and ill switch after ive my gear sets organised ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Haven't played Demo in a while but Spell Dmg, Int and Crit are all above stam. You can drain life to keep up your HP and if you're using the Felguard you shouldn't be pulling agro anyway. Resilience is only for pvp so if you're planning that have two sets of gear. For PVE haste rating > resilience. You only really need hit rating for raiding too. Mine is quite low as I don't raid much.

Here's my spec - it's a pve spec with raid in mind. I need to take the point out of MC and put it back in Inp Shad Bolt but apart from that it's a good solid build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

For PvP

Resillience
    Stamina
    Spell Dmg
    Spell Crit
    Spell Haste
    Spell Hit (i think 7% is cap)

Basically items to make you last longer

For PvE (assuming a demo/destro build like what im using http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Jaedenar&n=Psycopat)

Spell Dmg
    Spell Hit (17% is cap)
    Spell Crit
    Spell Haste
    Stamina
    Int

Im still not sure which is better between haste or crit, it all depends on your gear.

<edit> forgot about spell hit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Not to hijack the thread, but i came on esp to ask advice about my 80 lock so Kudos for the thread :)

Here's my armory link

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellfire&n=Audiumata

i'm currently 0/33/38 (slight alteration on the 0/31/40 build)

when buffed with Fel armour and Imp my sp is 2122.

But my DPS sucks.

rotation is CoA-Corruption-Imm-spam Incinterate. repeat.

on bosses swap CoA for CoElements.

Have corruption glyph, CoA glyph and Imp Glyph

Am averaging bout 1400 maybe 1500 dps. My hightest was 1900 in Naxx and I was top of recount for DPS..I shouldnt have been lol...we wiped early :D

So like elexes...I too am curious about the warlock build, and being a useful addition to a group for heroics and stuff.

I respecced to affliction and dps dropped to 3 figures...so Like the OP...I could do with some help /frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

Use Glyph of Immolate, best dps glyph instead of corruption.

No need for Curse of elements if you've got boomkin in raid, just use COA to keep molten Core procced for as long as possible.

Make sure you have about 280 spell hit which is cap if youve got 3 per cent hit in talents + boomkin in raid.

@Einstein

with your spec you are loosing 10% crit for you and your demon and only gaining 3% crit for yourself and an extra 13% dmg on your incinerate. You've also put 2 points in improved SB for some reason. You also loose your felguard with your spec. Try out my spec (0/41/30) and see if your dps improves. Also get more hit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

wow thats pretty low dps, especially considering my lvl 70 lock can do about 1100 when i full out nuke.

Try this dudes spec, managed to hit 5800dps on patchwek last night, and usually stays at abotu 3800-4200dps constantly through the raid:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonglade&n=Jazka

Anti wrote: »
    wow thats pretty low dps, especially considering my lvl 70 lock can do about 1100 when i full out nuke.

Try this dudes spec, managed to hit 5800dps on patchwek last night, and usually stays at abotu 3800-4200dps constantly through the raid:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonglade&n=Jazka
    what kinda spell rotation would ya recommend with that build?

managed to hit 5800dps on patchwek last night

5.8k is kinda big, what gear u got?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

5.8k dps sounds VERY high for your gear and spec. How did you manage that?

Also, Egg of mortal desire? Does that proc on lifetap or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Psycopat wrote: »
    5.8k is kinda big, what gear u got?

Huh ele shaman are pumping that out and more...

• Advertisement

@Einstein

with your spec you are loosing 10% crit for you and your demon and only gaining 3% crit for yourself and an extra 13% dmg on your incinerate. You've also put 2 points in improved SB for some reason. You also loose your felguard with your spec. Try out my spec (0/41/30) and see if your dps improves. Also get more hit.
    use ur imp or felguard?

no no, thats not my warlock its a warlock in my guild. 5.8k is high yeah but we were lucky enough to have 3 shamans with us for heroism, for that fight we had a fury warrior on 5.2k dps too. Ill see if i can work out this wws **** and get a report

Einstein wrote: »
    use ur imp or felguard?

felguard

<edit> you used 3 bloodlusts on patchwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

no no, thats not my warlock its a warlock in my guild. 5.8k is high yeah but we were lucky enough to have 3 shamans with us for heroism, for that fight we had a fury warrior on 5.2k dps too. Ill see if i can work out this wws **** and get a report

Are you on drugs?

Id like to see that report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

felguard

<edit> you used 3 bloodlusts on patchwork?

if you use all 3 at the same time you go back in time to when it was possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thanks for all the replies im looking at all the builds
    spam Incinterate

thats a spell i never use. i dont use most of the fire spells. should i ? i tried it last night and tho it was very fast at casting the damage wasnt as high as waighting for the sb to land

my rotation is usually
    instance
    coa-corruption-imm-shaddow bolt

non-instance
    immo-coa-corr-drain life-drain soal

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=Trimble armory . it wasnt up when i origionally posted

negitive comments welcome as they will point to where ive gone wrong

i realise that im full dem 11/57/1 at level 78 but i do like meta its handy at times

my build is far from perfect

Dustaz wrote: »
    Are you on drugs?

Id like to see that report.

whats so insane about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You can only have 2xHeroism/Bloodlust on Patchwerk, unless you somehow manage to kite/tank him for 4 minutes while he is enraged and 1-shotting everything that comes close...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

elexes wrote: »
    im not in any guild and i would prefer if the gear i was going to build was created instead of relying on world drops till i join some small guild.

Checked your current gear out and your still in mainly s2 lvl 70 gear like most of us who leveled fast. Dont expect your dps to scale until your gear matches your lvl. On crafted gear when you ding 80 here is a list of what will give you a flying start.

Head

Chest

Hands

Ring 1

Back

There are some good starter options if your up to farm some WG and BG honor

Head

Feet

Ring 2

Back

Waist

Wrist

Neck

Quest rewards worth picking up are

Weapon

Head

Off hand

Once you ding 80 start building rep with Kirin Tor

Weapon

Head Enchant

Hope this helps

Ivan wrote: »
    You can only have 2xHeroism/Bloodlust on Patchwerk, unless you somehow manage to kite/tank him for 4 minutes while he is enraged and 1-shotting everything that comes close...

Ah right, i never actually knew that. Guess we could drop a shammy for somethign else from now on then :)

Ill do my best to get wws up and runnign for next weeks raids. Show you how us "noobs" rock out with out cocks out :p

• Advertisement

hk797 wrote: »
    Checked your current gear out and your still in mainly s2 lvl 70 gear like most of us who leveled fast. Dont expect your dps to scale until your gear matches your lvl. On crafted gear when you ding 80 here is a list of what will give you a flying start.

cheers that must of taken some time to write out .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

A warlock? Nobody plays those anymore I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Caliden wrote: »
    A warlock? Nobody plays those anymore I think
    all about the retri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

There is not a chance that he did 5.8 on patchwork with that gear, **** he wouldnt even do that on thadius. Maybe your mistaking the 5 for a 3 or 2.

There does seem to be a big shortage of warlocks atm, least on kazzak anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

magilly wrote: »
    There is not a chance that he did 5.8 on patchwork with that gear, **** he wouldnt even do that on thadius. Maybe your mistaking the 5 for a 3 or 2.

There does seem to be a big shortage of warlocks atm, least on kazzak anyway.
    He said earlier it wasnt him who did the 5.8 on patchwork, it was a guildie (in better gear obviously)

i love my lock and am glad there isnt a huge ammount of us.

i will now have to find a new guild to raid with

Kiith wrote: »
    He said earlier it wasnt him who did the 5.8 on patchwork, it was a guildie (in better gear obviously)

Aye, i'm still trying to work out this WWS will have it up for wednesday even if it kills me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

Kiith wrote: »

eh ? he said try this guys spec, said he did 5.8k dps on patch, then linked an armory ?

So your saying its not that guy that did 5.8k ? maybe link his armory then.

He would need to be in almost optimal gear to do that sort of dps tho.

some time has passed and rather then just make a new thread might as well bump this one

my build as of now > http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Outland&n=Trimble . i realise that one of my trinkets is completly wrong for a lock but i missread it when i put it on and sold the old one

the build im using now is slightly different to what i had ( demo / aff ) and i find my sb now crits around 4.5-6.6 avg with some going to 10k ( with trinkets and meta in use )

still not topping dps charts im trying to improve my build again and have thought about this
    Affliction (0 points)

None

Demonology (15 points)

3/3 Improved Imp
        5/5 Demonic Embrace
        3/3 Fel Vitality
        1/1 Soul Link
        3/3 Demonic Aegis

Destruction (56 points)

5/5 Bane
        3/3 Molten Core
        3/3 Cataclysm
        2/2 Demonic Power
        1/1 Shadowburn
        5/5 Ruin
        3/3 Improved Searing Pain
        3/3 Improved Immolate
        1/1 Devastation
        3/3 Nether Protection
        5/5 Emberstorm
        1/1 Conflagrate
        3/3 Backlash
        5/5 Shadow and Flame
        3/3 Backdraft
        1/1 Shadowfury
        3/3 Empowered Imp
        5/5 Fire and Brimstone
        1/1 Chaos Bolt

opinions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

FG/Emberstorm Is pure win. easy rotation, great dps on most fights. plus u dont have to watch timers so good for learning tactics. [HTML]http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bigjumper[/HTML]

Advertisement