Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like to see a mouse and keyboard system on consoles

• 03-02-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

It seems like it would have some use. with a few stratagy games coming out on consoles now and the likes of football manager it would be fairly useful i think. Not to mention some people would prefare to have the choice with FPS games.

Mouse & Keyboard? 45 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Indie, have been talking to a couple of guys on Live in the states that already play some games with a keyboard and mouse!.

Check This Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I think the K&M combination works best for a lot of genres but I don't think people are going to buy consoles with K&M packaged with them any time soon.

I do think that the option to play games with K&M should be at least offered as another way to play a game but it should be done on a game by game basis, as driving games are, IMO, not really compatible with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes it is required for some games. IMO, Halo Wars will be a disaster without K+M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

But it will then become a complete advantage to online FPS players. People with controllers will be left in their dust. Leave the keyboard with the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Feelgood wrote: »
    Indie, have been talking to a couple of guys on Live in the states that already play some games with a keyboard and mouse!.

Check This Out

I will check the link when i get home. I can't open links from work for some reason. I Agree Otacon, that it should be done on a game by game basis. Whta got me thinking about it was the fact that I got Red Alert 3 over the Christmas but had to get it for the 360 because I knew my laptop wouldn't be able to play the pc version.

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »
    But it will then become a complete advantage to online FPS players. People with controllers will be left in their dust. Leave the keyboard with the PC.

Well they can just add the drivers so everyone can use the ones from their Pc so anyone who wants to can use it.

Or have special modes that detect input type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

keyboard & mouse? yes please!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

You cant sit in your recliner with a keyboard and a mouse.. ;)

If I wanted to use a keyboard and a mouse I would have bought the game for the PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

bigbadcon wrote: »
    You cant sit in your recliner with a keyboard and a mouse.. ;)

Exactly the reason why it wouldn't work. The console setup is completely different to a PC setup (as in location, needs, etc). Yes it would be beneficial but aren't you then turning a console INTO a PC.

Hard Drive - Check
    Internet Access / Browsing - Check
    K & M - Check

Next: Graphics card updates ;)

🤪

My point on the whole thing is that there are games that I would rather have a mouse for. I have been playing Red Alert 3 lately and it's good but i know it would be more enjoyable with a mouse I also have C&C3 and football manager on the xbox which would be better with a mouse and these type of games seem to be coming more frequently with End War(never actually played so not sure on the controls) and Halo Wars. I just think there is a gap there to be filled.
    If I wanted to use a keyboard and a mouse I would have bought the game for the PC

My laptop sucks (for gaming anyway) so I wouldn't be able to play some the games I wanted on it.

• Advertisement

Exactly there are games that is literally pants on head retarded to play without a K+M.

Real time strategy games are one of the most obvious. These even work on DS (well turn based anyway) with a touch screen better than they do on 360 at the moment.

The least they could do is a WASD type setup with a touch screen too so developers could have the option for these types of games.

Halo Wars will be a disaster without a new controller TBH. The control schemes for real time strategies just get so complicated that it takes away from the fun and I only ever play them on Pc really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Good idea but I don't think MS are very keen on the idea.

Next thing people would be looking for a web browser for their 360 and after that, who needs a conventional PC running Windows?

Perhaps a dedicated controller and mouse with just FPS keys, etc. might work but I have never heard it mentioned as a future development by any MS exec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Keyboard and mouse ftw. I hate playing fps games on any console controller.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its like trying to do surgery using only your feet.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Yes, but only for RPS games, where it uncomplicates the controls. In other game genres it would be too big an advantage to other players that didn't have the K+M.

And don't forget, the demo of Halo Wars is out on LIVE tomorrow.

LD 50 wrote: »
    And don't forget, the demo of Halo Wars is out on LIVE tomorrow.

Thanks for that I never heard anything about it. Should be interesting.

While I do like using the mouse and keyboard on PC games, I don't want to see it for consoles.

For the simple reason that I like to slouch back on my sofa, joypad in hand, and relax as I play my Xbox.

If I wanted to sit beside a desk and play, then I'd play PC games.

That said, I maintain that I was at my best playing shoot'em'ups while using a mouse and keyboard. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The whole reason I bought an Xbox was because I was fed up upgrading my PC to play the newest games, plus, every so often a game that fitted my specs wouldnt work or kept crashing out.

The €200 I paid for the xbox meant that any game I bought I knew I would be playing at the correct speed and graphics settings and that it would work.

Definately miss the Keyboard and Mouse but games like Quake wars seem pretty alright with the controller. That and its hard enough playing with the steering wheels on your knee nevermind a keyboard.

Roller ball instead of the right analog stick on the controller would be an idea though.

God no roller balls are crap

Slig wrote: »
    The whole reason I bought an Xbox was because I was fed up upgrading my PC to play the newest games, plus, every so often a game that fitted my specs wouldnt work or kept crashing out.

+1 One of the joys of using a console is that you buy a game, stick it in the console, and it plays.

No fussing with memory, hard disc space, graphics, etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

DeVore wrote: »
    Its like trying to do surgery using only your feet.

DeV.

Ah its not that bad now.. Like im use to using a controller but if someone said here do you want this state of the art xbox 360 mouse and keyboard setup.. id be like gwan so!! :pac:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I like my XBOX360 and i own about (guesses) 50 games for it but I come from an old skool Quake background where people over clocked their mouse smapling rates to get a smoother "flick" for one-shot-kills. Playing Quakeworld was like mainlining heroin into your temple compared to the methadone of FPS on a console. The precision simply isnt there.

Something like Skate2 or Forza wouldnt work on a PC so its horses for courses imho.

Google the name Koopa, Bunny, Beast etc to see the Irish National Quake Team back in the day. its a different league. on a different planet. :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    I like my XBOX360 and i own about (guesses) 50 games for it but I come from an old skool Quake background where people over clocked their mouse smapling rates to get a smoother "flick" for one-shot-kills. Playing Quakeworld was like mainlining heroin into your temple compared to the methadone of FPS on a console. The precision simply isnt there.

Something like Skate2 or Forza wouldnt work on a PC so its horses for courses imho.

Google the name Koopa, Bunny, Beast etc to see the Irish National Quake Team back in the day. its a different league. on a different planet. :)

DeV.

I do agree with what you're saying (as I mentioned in my first post) - being a "Mousekeyteer" (or something like that) as Id software called it was doubtless a superior method of play in terms of speed and accuracy. One could become very adept at playing FPS's this way.

However, for me, the console offers a different gaming experience to the PC. As was pointed out above, there's a definite advantage to being able to unwrap a game and simply play it without tweaking your system, as you sometimes have to do with the PC.

Also, while using a mouse/keyboard probably makes you a more skillful, better player of FPS games, remember everyone is at the same disadvantage while playing over a console (in that everyone uses the same joypad).

I had another point, but I've forgotten what it was! :(

Oh I remember what my last point was -

While I know I'll never be as good with a joypad as with a mouseboard (my Halo rank will verify this), it doesn't stop me enjoying the game to the full.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

how many of the people who voted yes would still vote yes if it was only allowed on a per game basis and wasn't allowed for any FPS?

mossym wrote: »
    how many of the people who voted yes would still vote yes if it was only allowed on a per game basis and wasn't allowed for any FPS?

I think it sould be done on a per game basis. Some games wouldn't need it, driving games for example wouldn't need keyboard & mouse support where as stratagy games would and FPS games could be optional if the developers wanted to have kb & mouse support.

Indie18 wrote: »
    FPS games could be optional if the developers wanted to have kb & mouse support.

see, that wouldn't work due to the massive advantage it gives to the KB and mouse users...so i go back to my first question, if they only allowed them for strategy games, and not fps, how many who voted yes would still say yes? i bet they'd care a lot less..

my point being, you make it one way or the other, the game has to use kb or mouse, or not at all..having the option makes it unfair. and i you make everyone have to use it, it takes away the advantage people are trying to use...

I would still go for it personally as I would still want it for strategy games because i enjoy playing them. When it comes to FPS games i never could come to terms with playing with a keyboard and mouse so that wouldn't really interest me but I do know where your coming from MossyM.

mossym wrote: »
    see, that wouldn't work due to the massive advantage it gives to the KB and mouse users...so i go back to my first question, if they only allowed them for strategy games, and not fps, how many who voted yes would still say yes? i bet they'd care a lot less..

my point being, you make it one way or the other, the game has to use kb or mouse, or not at all..having the option makes it unfair. and i you make everyone have to use it, it takes away the advantage people are trying to use...

It could easily work, you just don't allow them to play each other.

You could have a K+M users allowed option when setting up the game.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    It could easily work, you just don't allow them to play each other.

You could have a K+M users allowed option when setting up the game.

yeah that would work, as long as you give the controller people a choice to play against other controller people only. if someone wants to use a controller against kb+m let them i suppose, but you should have the choice not to..

Advertisement