Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year long ban from forum for first offense.

Options
  • 03-02-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Currently I have a year long ban for a first offense in the awards forum.

I posted up a gathering card in response to Climate Expert who was flaming the form at being named Muppet of the year.
    I was told by the mod that the ban was extra punitive as 'I should know better' and that the year long was done so that I can not take part in the voting process for the boards awards next year.

Can this be reviewed please.

The posts were deleted so even logged out I can not link to them
    but they were in the Muppet of the year award.

I did pm the mod on this and was told basically tough shít.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why did it take you a month to raise this complaint?

And if it had been anyone else who banned you, I wouldn't be wary that this was just one big pisstake 0_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because I had thought it was a piss take and it isn't and when I approached them about it
    it was told the ban stands hence the thread here.

There for I must conclude that is a personal bias and there for unfair and contrary to the
    policy that mods are users outside of their own forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I was told by the mod that the ban was extra punitive as 'I should know better' and that the year long was done so that I can not take part in the voting process for the boards awards next year.

Was there a reason for that?
    I mean ok, you posted a gathering card. But what is the reason behind stopping you from voting in next years awards?

A years ban for a first offense seems a tad excessive. Have you included all the info?
    Was the gathering card that bad?

It was the flaming muppet card.
    I have included all the info.

The Auto generated message states banned for 1 year for trollbaiting after a warning.

When I questioned the length of the ban I was told given 'who' I am I should know better
    and it was to ensure I could not take part in the voting for this years awards as punishment.

Do you wish me to PM the Mod for their side of the story, or would you prefer they are given access to this forum so they can reply here?

• Advertisement

I did give Kharn access to reply and PMed him.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Do you wish me to PM the Mod for their side of the story, or would you prefer they are given access to this forum so they can reply here?

Which ever action the mod invovled wishes to take is fine by me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thaed and I were talking in MSN and she asked me what I would do if she posted the card. I said I'd ban her for a year so she couldn't vote in next year's awards and her response was that she didn't think her vote mattered that much and she posted it anyway. A week or a month ban on a board that only sees activity once a year would have been pretty pointless in fairness.

I was posting in the midst of posting and you said you would me if I did and then you made it for a year.
    Which is a ridiculous length of time and based on a communication was not connected to the site.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yes and I stand by that as a week long ban from a Forum that gets almost no activity for 46 weeks of the year would not have any meaning.

The "you should know better" was not because you're a mod, but because we were talking to one another at the time and in fairness, it is common sense to not bait trolls or encourage flaming, so you as a long term *MEMBER* of both boards and the internet in general should know this.

I'm afraid my MSN message history doesn't extend far enough back to the incident in question, so I cannot confirm what exactly was said.

So I will make a charter on the Awards board to cover what I feel is already covered by common sense and the site rules. I do not, however think the year long ban was too harsh. You didn't seem to think it was yourself at the time.

• Advertisement

I do have the logs and tought you were taking the piss by telling me I was to
    Kharn msn wrote:
    consider yourself OFFICIALLY warned for troll baiting in that Awards thread

On msn as a mod warning or action should be imho done via the site and not in an unconnected medium and when I tried to address it further with you I was told.
    Kharn msn wrote:
    I'm kinda annoyed now Jan, so I'd rather not doscuss it further that sort of diliberate trouble is what annoyed the Noc mods most when we banned you it may be fun to you, but I don't think it funny at all

I am just looking for clarity and an official ruling on this as there was at the time nothing in the
    charter and it is out of step for the normal proceedings of bans for the site as a whole rather then just going on a message which was not connected to the site of
    Kharn msn wrote:
    My boards - IRON FIST RULES!

and if the smods agree with the mod of the forum then I accept the ban.

Thanks.

Kharn wrote: »
    Thaed and I were talking in MSN and she asked me what I would do if she posted the card.

Do you accept that to be the case Thaed?
    Did you start the conversation on MSN about this?
    Because if you did and he responded in kind, then it's open and shut, no?
    A week or a month ban on a board that only sees activity once a year would have been pretty pointless in fairness.

When you put it that way, it makes sense..... :/

Still, playground stuff people!

No I didn't start the converstion on this in msn the mod did and the opening on this topic was telling me via that medium that I was 'OFFICALLY warned' which was confusing.

I can't fault the logic of the ban length tbh.

seamus wrote: »
    I can't fault the logic of the ban length tbh.

Considering that the forum is indeed only used once a year, (which I hadn't taken into consideration in my first comment) I would have to agree on that point.

In conclusion, we would appear to agree that the ban stands Thaed.

Ok I can accept that as the rational seems to be that it is an exceptional, seasonal forum.
    Hopefully the charter of said forum will be amended to reflect that.
    Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Ironically, the only other person to have something similar applied is ClimateExpert himself who had his siteban extended by a week cos he was going on holidays :)

I would guess that was due to parity in the situation rather then irony.
    Thanks Seamus.

I say "irony" considering that he was the reason you got this ban (out of all the possible people). But I'm really bad with that word. :)

/adds irony to the list beside coven...

• Advertisement

:D

Advertisement