Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT students supporting fees.

Options
  • 03-02-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I know that there are a lot of DIT students who are actually in support of the introduction of fees. I'm thinking we should all get together and march with the members of the dail against these pot smokin' hippys who are opposed to the idea of college fees.

What date is their march scheduled for? I can make banners and placards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

Also I have some fabulous slogans which I will keep secret until the day of the march to prevent them from being turned into anti-fees propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I can make barricades. :D

Actually, I'm not going, I definitely don't want the introduction of fees but I just can't go. The best I can do is scream from Dundalk, and hope that someone will hear me in Dubland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

I do not smoke "pot" nor have I ever. And I will be marching against the introduction of fees. The fact that you call students who don't want to shell out around 16 Grand for their education hippys I think that reflects more on you then anyone else?

JohnG18 wrote: »
    I do not smoke "pot" nor have I ever. And I will be marching against the introduction of fees. The fact that you call students who don't want to shell out around 16 Grand for their education hippys I think that reflects more on you then anyone else?

More hippy dribble. Go hug a tree. What do we want? FEES! When do we want them? NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Why are you supporting fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Cause he may have more money then sence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

disssco wrote: »
    Why are you supporting fees?

Because the country is in serious trouble. The money isn't there to pay for peoples education.

If anyone thinks twice about paying 18,000 euro for something which will give them twice as much per annum within about a decade*, they're mad. It's a worthy investment**.

*Except if you've chosen some shhhitty course.
    ** Unless you end up studying in Rathmines.

The introduction of fees would stop these god damn hippies getting into college so they can skip classes and goout every night to smoke pot and drink, and it might make the wasters actually appreciate their education.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Sir, as a member of the so called "waster" community I feel that we are being misrepresented and unfairly treated. I'm a university student and I neither go out nor drink. I never have the cash to do so as I spend it all on weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

The introduction of fees would stop these god damn hippies getting into college so they can skip classes and goout every night to smoke pot and drink, and it might make the wasters actually appreciate their education.

Stop the stereotyping!

• Advertisement

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Stop the stereotyping...

Yes, yes, yes.... Stop the stereotyping, Save the trees, Free the weed...

We've heard all of these hippie slogans before. Has anyone got a real argument against the introduction of fees?

Yes, yes, yes.... Stop the stereotyping, Save the trees, Free the weed...

We've heard all of these hippie slogans before. Has anyone got a real argument against the introduction of fees?

Your obviously ripping the piss, and if your not, your coming across as a bit of a troll.

Also how could you afford to pay 18 grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 smileyhappy

Right folks, here's a choice

you take out a loan and pay your fees (as people do elsewhere in the world) and your granny keeps her medical card and pension.

You get your fees paid and your granny loses her medical card and takes a cut in her measly small pension.

What's it going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

You don't honestly think that banks are going to give out loans to students in the current economic climate do you ?

Also OP is clearly Trolling ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you were going to trinity I *might* be able take you a bit more seriously OP

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mcerc

FEES YES PLEASE!

Right folks, here's a choice

you take out a loan and pay your fees (as people do elsewhere in the world) and your granny keeps her medical card and pension.

You get your fees paid and your granny loses her medical card and takes a cut in her measly small pension.

What's it going to be?

Is that you Batt?

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    your coming across as a bit of a troll.

I am not a troll I'm a dwarf. We little people take offense to derogatory names like that.

But seriously folks. The money has to come from somewhere! It should come from pay cuts amongst ministers and government members but that isn't going to happen.

If you're going to protest against the introduction of fees at least have an alternative plan available for presentation. One which looks out for the interests of the state.

So tomorrow instead of shouting like:

NO FEES
    FREE THE WEED
    STOP THE STEREOTYPING

Try shouting one along the lines of

THE INTRODUCTION OF FEES WOULD BE VERY BAD FOR IRELAND'S ECONOMICAL FUTURE.
    GOVERNMENT FUNDING MUST COME FROM ELSEWHERE.
    RAISE TAXES ON ALCOHOL AND CIGARETTES.
    PERHAPS HIGHLY PAID GOVERNMENT MINISTERS COULD TAKE A TEMPORARY PAY CUT.
    TAKE MEDICAL CARDS AWAY FROM THE ELDERLY.

Not that it'll help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You forgot to add "WHEN DO WE WANT IT?"

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

More hippy dribble. Go hug a tree. What do we want? FEES! When do we want them? NOW!

Yes i do agree fees are **** for people who find it hard to afford them but really the only option right now.They are being brought in for a good reason.

However i think you are <snip>and your posts makes me want to punch you in the face.

• Advertisement

i think you are a stupid asshole and your posts makes me want to punch you in the face.

Bring it. Name the time and the place I'll be there.

Oh its on.

Edit: I just realised that I missed out on an excellent opportunity to scold you for not using capital "I"s. Ah well, maybe next time.

Oh and your grammar too! How did I miss that one?! "Your posts makes me want to punch you", please don't bes offended I only corrects you for yous own good.

Caliden wrote: »
    You forgot to add "WHEN DO WE WANT IT?"

So the slogan to shout is now

THE INTRODUCTION OF FEES WOULD BE VERY BAD FOR IRELAND'S ECONOMICAL FUTURE.
    GOVERNMENT FUNDING MUST COME FROM ELSEWHERE.
    RAISE TAXES ON ALCOHOL AND CIGARETTES.
    PERHAPS HIGHLY PAID GOVERNMENT MINISTERS COULD TAKE A TEMPORARY PAY CUT.
    TAKE MEDICAL CARDS AWAY FROM THE ELDERLY.
    WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
    REALISTICALLY WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

You don't honestly think that banks are going to give out loans to students in the current economic climate do you ?

Also OP is clearly Trolling ignore him.

Yeah, trolling. That's you answer when someone radically disagrees with you?
    However i think you are a stupid asshole and your posts makes me want to punch you in the face.

Hahaha, where's the mods!?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Investing in education is one of the only viable options we have to drag this country out of the mire it is rapidly finding itself stuck in.

The tax breaks available to industry is where we should be clawing back money, not taxing people who want to further their education. The foreign investment (Intel and the like) was always only going to last for a short time. Whenever it became more economically viable to ship out to India or China we could never stop them.

Student loans sound great in principle. But from firsthand experience from studying in England people often leave the country so they don't have to pay back the loans. There is no point educating people in order to ship them out elsewhere.

And it's not a case of 'if you want free education then your granny wont have a medical card'. That's just twaddle. Cutbacks should come from elsewhere... Foreign investment and equine industry taxbreaks anyone?

Our future will be lead by an educated workforce, capable of attracting high-end investment. Invest in education.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

While I think that the op is definately trolling, as a student I would still be in the bring back fees for those who can afford to pay camp, as the government is planning to do. I don't see why the likes of myself, who would be able to afford to pay fees, should get free education at the expense of the country as a whole. That said I'm not going to go donating 10k to government coffers, but in this time of economic uncertainty surely those who can afford to pay fee's should be told to do so, likewise those elderly who can afford to pay for medical expenses should do so etc.

There aren't that many students who are living on the breadline, and those who are would be certain of grants. Many of my friends are on grants at the moment, despite having plenty of disposable income. The test for means testing anything like this must be a model that can work. Perhaps if there is a model working abroad which could be implemented?

Bohsfan, at present we supposedly have an educated workforce, as we have had free education for donkeys years. That said it isn't going to make us recession proof, as has already been shown.

Brain drain will occur in times of recession no matter what type of education system is in place. Yes tax breaks for certain industrys should be abolished, equine and musicians/cultural tax breaks for those earning above €50k a year for a start.

There are way's to build up government coffers but I think implementing fees for those who can afford it will be of good assistance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Let's get it over quick and sharp.

If the government will want to finance the economy through creation of new intellectual capital, they will have to have to invest into postgraduate research.

If colleges want to invest more into research, then they have to create more research places. Currently, there are very few and competition for them is fierce. So that might mean that out of a class of 40 people, only 1 person may go through to being a researcher, while the other 5 or so who want to get there will be tearing their hair out. If more research places will be created, more competition will be created. The reason for this, is that for the other 35 people in the class, prospects will be far worse, due to closing down of certain sectors and recession. So more people will want to go into research.

So the other 35 people will be paying at least 50% of their fees for the sake of a few lucky people.

:/

So say NO to fees. If the college will want more fees, than it has to decrease college places slightly. I just think it will be cruel to let students to struggle to pay for 4 or 5 years of their education and then end up without any decent prospects in the end.

Say NO to fees.

Sorry if i'm not getting this experimental, but what you are saying is that colleges don't have the funds for extra research places, and if fees are implemented and research places don't go up then it will be unfair because only a few will get research places?

To me that logically makes zero sense. The fee's are for your education! A piece of paper which can be deemed very important in certain industrys.

Introduction of fee's will mean that college's wont have as much financial burden as they have at the moment, i'd assume the vast majority of educational institutions are heavily in debt and I do not see why those who can afford to pay would not be willing to do so. If we are talking about fairness, surely it is only fair that they do so.

Also when it comes to a small amount of research places, that too is something I have no problem with. At present there are third level places for everyone in this country who is willing to put in the work to get there, you don't have to be bright or gifted just have to put the head down and do a decent leaving cert, and even if you don't there are so many backdoor routes it is ridiculous. It would be impossible to offer every third level student a research place, it would be impossible and not worthwhile in the slightest, the brightest of those who apply will get the reasearch place as is only right.

I don't think luck has much to do with it.

Furthermore the grant system in this country is a joke. I know several wealthy children who for one reason or another are given a hefty sum of money by the government each year. Said money is not invested in their education, rather it funds their drinking for the year.

Where is that girl who said she'd fight me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Bit rich coming from an E head raver.

Advertisement