Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT students supporting fees.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

I have never touched an illicit substance in my life.

Anyway ecstasy isn't the problem here. Stimulant users like all recreational drug users are hedonistic and primarily concerned with their own satisfaction. At least they don't pretend they take drugs in order to benefit "mother earth" like those god damn pot smokin' hippies.

bohsfan wrote: »
    people often leave the country so they don't have to pay back the loans.

Would this work? How long would you have to stay away until the banks forget about you? I'm thinking of emigrating anyway so this might be the perfect option for me!:)

The money shouldn't come from education I agree. It should come from elsewhere. Personally I think a hefty emergency tax on alcohol and cigarettes would do the trick. It would also help stop people from getting drunk out of their minds every weekend and starting fights.

I'm having a go because I'm sick of god damn hippies giving out about the government while not doing anything themselves to improve the situation. Its not easy being in politics, I sure wouldn't like to do it.

NO TO FEES!
    What then? Whats your alternative strategy? The country is in dire economic crisis. The government don't want to tax education anymore than you don't want to pay fees. Come on its 2009, a simple NO TO FEES is a bit fcuking lame if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Stop calling them hippies!? It really isn't helping you at all as it just makes you come across as a bit of an eejit. Yes the grant system is a joke but it comes back to the point of why shouldn't people who are able to afford it pay fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I have never touched an illicit substance in my life.

Anyway ecstasy isn't the problem here. Stimulant users like all recreational drug users are hedonistic and primarily concerned with their own satisfaction. At least they don't pretend they take drugs in order to benefit "mother earth" like those god damn pot smokin' hippies.

Then why were you looking for test kits to be availible in the SU shop? Or was that just more trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I'm all for open discussion on the matter but the number of reported posts here is ridiculous. Have a civilised discussion or have no discussion at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Furthermore the grant system in this country is a joke. I know several wealthy children who for one reason or another are given a hefty sum of money by the government each year. Said money is not invested in their education, rather it funds their drinking for the year.

Where is that girl who said she'd fight me?

Why are you so retarded? Whats grants go to do with me?

I AGREE fees are the only option. However, i was merely pointing out the fact that your posts make me want to punch you in the face. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Why are you so retarded? Whats grants go to do with me?

Stop with the personal insults...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

I know that there are a lot of DIT students who are actually in support of the introduction of fees. I'm thinking we should all get together and march with the members of the dail against these pot smokin' hippys who are opposed to the idea of college fees.

What date is their march scheduled for? I can make banners and placards.

Although I am coming to the realisation that fees are probably necessary and may support them, its sh!t like this and generalising those who are against fees that is going to make it difficult defending their introduction. Get off your high horse.

I genuinely think that students should be supporting the lowering of fees as opposed to stopping them. There is a worldwide downturn and every aspect of Irish society is taking a beating. We need to accept this and need to each make a effort.

Invest in education yes, but I don't think paying for us to go is the way to go about it.

I'm a little annoyed at my posting of this because it means I'm agreeing with the intolerant so and so who made this thread..

Then why were you looking for test kits to be availible in the SU shop? Or was that just more trolling?

Maybe its because I care about people and want to save lives. Did you ever think of that?

I'm agreeing with the tolerant so and so who made this thread..

Thank you, I appreciate the support. Its nice to know I have people on my side.

• Advertisement

Whats grants go to do with me?

I believe you mean "What have grants got to do with me?"

The answer is nothing my dear. I am unaware as to whether or not you get a grant and quite frankly its none of my business. I was merely putting the point about grants out in public view as this thread is pretty much a vent for our frustrations at the system.

And we don't like to be called retarded, we're special.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Thank you, I appreciate the support. Its nice to know I have people on my side.

Bah hahaha, the idea of it being your side shows your narcissism and idiocy.

Its clear you are just a troll and there is really no discussion here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I'm not trolling, so the discussion isn't quite over. At this stage, our economy is ****ed, and we need to pay fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

do you know what really annoyed me about this whole 'debate'? that the students union of ireland or whichever students body decided upon themselves that there is only one answer and that's no no never no way.... most of us have brains, it's why we went to college (to expand on said brain capacity) and we are being force fed a simplistic one liner on what to think (no to fees) and what we should do (protest). registration fees are nearly €1000 and are only going to increase. no tax back can be claimed on registration fees. you can however claim tax back on college fees. this will probably affect parents of students more so than most students. so my idea on this whole thing is the reintroduction of college fees, but cap them to say €2000 a year or whatever, give the grant system a kick up the arse, get grants back from people who didn't attend the required time in college (they signed an agreement, it's their fault) and put that money back into the education system. the government go after benefit frauds and in my humble opinion students who get massive grants (i'm talking from experience here of a few people who started a course, got their grant and were never seen again) should also be followed up.

rip that apart if you will but it's only my humble opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Would this work? How long would you have to stay away until the banks forget about you? I'm thinking of emigrating anyway so this might be the perfect option for me!:)

In New Zealand you borrow from the government rather than a bank and don't actually have to repay until your income reaches a certain amount. It's now interest free too for people working in NZ, down from 8% from day one.
    People do leave the country (and they can now tell if a student loan holder has left) and are charged penalty interest if no payments are made. Could work if you never returned (or never came to the attention of the revenue department in NZ if you did!).

Advertisement