Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on premises in Tramore

Options
  • 03-02-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi to all. I moved back to Tramore about 5 years ago, was away for about 16 years. I can not for the life of me remember this bar. You know the one across the road from Cahills, its a tall 3 or 4 story building.
    I'm just wondering has it been closed long, who owns it now etc. Also the hotel on the hill, the Tramore Hotel I think its called.
    Both buildings are a complete eyesore. I cringe when passing them.
    Do people who own these buildings not have to keep them in some sort of order, even if they are not in use ?
    I'd love to have a magic wand and go around to all the derelict and unused buildings and give them a good facelift.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The pub is owned by the owner of Cahills shop and was called The Three Swans Inn (I think). Its been closed several years.

The hotel on the hill, I cant recall who owns it now but it was recently on fire. I believe planning permission has been entered for a type of hostel or something. Not sure on the status of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mia belle

Thanks Sully, actually that name does ring a bell. I wish the owners would do something about the appearance.
    I would imagine its this time of year when local people start thinking of their summer trade and getting the town ready for tourists, or in your opinion does this happen ? Does the town try to boost its visitors or just sit back and see who comes to them. In these poor times you would imagine the town would be trying to pull in visitors from where ever they can.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Most business do prepare for the season ahead, mainly those which deal with tourists mostly of course. I haven't noticed much of a difference so far this year.

The two buildings in question have been like that for many years so I guess its not a major issue. Id prefer any such building, or land, was not developed on for the "sake of it". Thankfully, we have a team which overseas any such planning decisions granted (if appealed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

I dont think the OP meant developing the sites!!

From what I can gather you mean a lick of paint and a less 'neglected' look about the town.

I agree OP; the owners of such buildings should be responsible and present their premises in the best possible light.

The three swans is such and eyesore as is the old Tramore Hotel - though that did get a splash of paint there sometime recently.

depaor wrote: »
    I dont think the OP meant developing the sites!!

From what I can gather you mean a lick of paint and a less 'neglected' look about the town.

Id assume the building (Tramore Hotel) would need to be knocked. Regardless though, what I meant was if anybody takes over the building it should be something decent rather then something thrown there for the sake of it! Look at the B&B beside Dynasty - another example of a building neglected and that's owned (or leased) by a local businessman.
    I agree OP; the owners of such buildings should be responsible and present their premises in the best possible light.

The three swans is such and eyesore as is the old Tramore Hotel - though that did get a splash of paint there sometime recently.

Exactly and I would love to see some sort of legislation on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The 3 Swans was in my family for few years before it was sold on in the 80's, the license was then sold to the racecourse and the pub closed.

Not sure if the owners who bought it from us still own the building, they used to live above the pub and I agree, its looking in a bad shape the last few years..

Its a prime location for someone to open a pub there again, or even a restaurant as its a fine big premises and the back lounge would be idea for a function room.. ahh well, in the current economic situation, its a shame to see such a big fine building going to ruin.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mia belle

Yeah I meant a tidy up, its a shame to see so many fine buildings left to rot. I do think the owners should he held responsable for keeping them looking some way decent. People who have other premesis that are open for business put in the time and effort.
    I've never been in the 3 swans but it does look like a fine building, would be gorgeous for a restaurant and maybe a wine bar. Doubt though anyone would be investing money in these times.
    Now don't get me started on the dog dirt on the prom, and the litter left behind by school kids at centra every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭T17cH

The hotel on the hill is "the grand hotel" its owned by the same guy who owns "the half way house" and both "the show boat" and "the mansion house" in town the guys a real cheapskate and its very unlikely he'd ever actually do anything with the hotel. Which is sad, the location of the hotel has a beautiful view over the bay (and unfortunetly this eyesore is visible from most of tramore) as and a lot could be done with it.

T17cH wrote: »
    The hotel on the hill is "the grand hotel" its owned by the same guy who owns "the half way house" and both "the show boat" and "the mansion house" in town the guys a real cheapskate and its very unlikely he'd ever actually do anything with the hotel. Which is sad, the location of the hotel has a beautiful view over the bay (and unfortunetly this eyesore is visible from most of tramore) as and a lot could be done with it.

That's not the hotel we are talking about. Also that hotel in question was painted on the outside in the last few years unlike other buildings in the town. Plus the character the building has it shouldn't be changed very much. :)

Advertisement