Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Internet Banking

Options
  • 03-02-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Im getting fed up with AIB internet banking...
    Its taking so bloody long to update my credit card balances, i made a purchase 8 days ago and its only showing up now,when i was in the USA for the summer it sometimes took 2 weeks to update, It gets really annoying after a while cos sometimes i forget about a purchase i made here or there and i end up being in debt (albeit not a big debt but still annoying)... My girfriend is with Permanent TSB and her internet banking updates almost within every hour!

Is this a problem confined just to me or do other people find the updates far to slow?
    Im tempted to change banks cos of this, Im very dependant on Internet banking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im getting fed up with AIB internet banking...
    Its taking so bloody long to update my credit card balances, i made a purchase 8 days ago and its only showing up now,when i was in the USA for the summer it sometimes took 2 weeks to update, It gets really annoying after a while cos sometimes i forget about a purchase i made here or there and i end up being in debt (albeit not a big debt but still annoying)... My girfriend is with Permanent TSB and her internet banking updates almost within every hour!

Is this a problem confined just to me or do other people find the updates far to slow?
    Im tempted to change banks cos of this, Im very dependant on Internet banking!

The update "delay" is not caused by AIB, they show the transaction as soon as it is presented to them, but the merchant or processor in the states might not present the transaction to AIB for a while.

Where P-TSB are showing them within the hour, they are mostly likely shown authorised, rather than processed transactions. This is ok most of the time, but for example if you are in a store, the merhchants makes a mistake and voids the transaction P-TSB will stilll show it for a few days until the authorisation expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I have the same problem with my BOI a/c. Takes a few days for transactions to show, pure pain in the ***.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Nothing to do with the bank, and certainly nothing to do with their internet banking.

I take it you've never worked in retail (ie operating a till etc)? The shop must process all their card transactions in a batch - typically done at night after the shop closes. However, for whatever reasons, they may let this build up and process all the transactions for the past x amount of days.

Once processed, the information gets sent to the shops bank. They then process it and send it onto the cardholder's bank (in your case - AIB). The time taken to do this can vary and the fact that it's international might account for another few days. Once the cardholder's bank receives the charge, it is applied to the customer within 24 hours.

Also bear in mind that there is such a thing as business day's. Therefore, you have to discount weekends from your total of 8 days (so it's actually anything from 4-6 business days since you made the purchase).

I don't understand what your problem with "forgetting and then being in debt" is about. It's a credit card. You have up to 56 days to pay it before you have to worry about interest. Also, you do realise that you can make the payment before the transaction appears on the card. So, for example:

You make a purchase for €200. You're saying that you would like to see that on your account within an hour. Therefore, when you are on your internet banking an hour later, why don't you make the €200 payment then. That way it will be waiting for the transaction and cancel out the transaction as soon as it appears and you won't have to worry about forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The reason i say im in debt is because i was recently abroad so put extra cash in my cc account! So i had a surplus amount in the a/c! Its just annoying, id prefer if they put in the authorised transactions and had a disclaimer saying that the info isnt final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd like if they did it like MBNA. They adjust your available balance within a couple of minutes and show it under pending transactions.

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    I'd like if they did it like MBNA. They adjust your available balance within a couple of minutes and show it under pending transactions.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

My transactions usually show up within a day or two.

It's not as if they're hiding them or indeed making money by not displaying them.

parsi wrote: »

It's not as if they're hiding them or indeed making money by not displaying them.

Oh i know that... its just about convenience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Random wrote: »
    parsi wrote: »
    My transactions usually show up within a day or two.

My point was really for an apparently straight forward improvement that other banks have managed. Don't get me wrong though, I do love AIB.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hogzy wrote: »
    The reason i say im in debt is because i was recently abroad so put extra cash in my cc account! So i had a surplus amount in the a/c! Its just annoying, id prefer if they put in the authorised transactions and had a disclaimer saying that the info isnt final!

It's not on AIB at all mate.
    Don't want to be a prick here but you've got it completely wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement