Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Boy racer" trouble at the weekend rally

Options
  • 03-02-2009 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

See the main front page headline in the Sligo Weekender today.... I heard there were reports over the weekend of revving of engines etc late at night, but did not know there was trouble and anti-social behaviour sufficient to make main headline news in front page of the paper. A pity , because the genuine rally people I am sure are decent people who would be appalled by the "boy racer" element attracted to the event..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tbh it was bound to happen tho.

whatever small amount that were acting the prick it was going to make headlines just because of the weekend it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

jimmmy wrote: »
    See the main front page headline in the Sligo Weekender today.... I heard there were reports over the weekend of revving of engines etc late at night, but did not know there was trouble and anti-social behaviour sufficient to make main headline news in front page of the paper. A pity , because the genuine rally people I am sure are decent people who would be appalled by the "boy racer" element attracted to the event..

Maybe, but it could be the local rag desperate for a headline either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Weekender is a rag... some of the sh** that gets reported... "Man Eats Cooking Apple... yesterday John Devins (43) from Caltragh accidentally ate a cooking apple, thinking it was a Golden Delicious. 'I thought it tasted a bit odd', the man told reporters last night. He is currently recovering at home from his ordeal & is expected to be out of work with his illness until late 2012."

The Weekender is a rag... some of the sh** that gets reported... "Man Eats Cooking Apple... yesterday John Devins (43) from Caltragh accidentally ate a cooking apple, thinking it was a Golden Delicious. 'I thought it tasted a bit odd', the man told reporters last night. He is currently recovering at home from his ordeal & is expected to be out of work with his illness until late 2012."

Ah, you have to laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Maybe, but it could be the local rag desperate for a headline either.

Dunno, the photo does not lie, and there are reliable witness reports of people being woken and large amounts of car drivers behaving in anti-social manner

• Advertisement

Dunno, the photo does not lie, and there are reliable witness reports of people being woken and large amounts of car drivers behaving in anti-social manner

I hear loud cars at night, but tbh, only slightly more than usual. Seriouly, a rally was on ffs.

Does the photo depict a car and driver behaving in an antic social manner? I'd be interested to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They should come to Coolaney on most Saturday nights....cars revving through the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

The people that live in rosses point are idiots, one weekend of the year put up with it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The Weekender once ran a story titled light bulb lasts for 40 years. A guy in Beltra reckoned that the outside bulb had lasted since the house was connected to the grid, it never occured to him that his wife had been changing it all along and she was too nice to undeceive him, yet the Sligo Worstever still ran it. The Irish Times would have asked him how he got a Lidl bulb in the sixties.

Rag Rag Rag.

The Rally story is a non story along the lines of Shock Horror Sligo full of drunk people on Christmas Eve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 juicyjellybabe

Rag Rag Rag.

The Rally story is a non story along the lines of Shock Horror Sligo full of drunk people on Christmas Eve.

That paper is a waste of money. I remember when it used to be free and posted through the letterbox on a Friday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Its like the Wall Street Journal compared to The Sligo Pist.

The thing that stands out for me is that they are having a go at 'boy racers' and a few months back one of their reporters did an article about people driving too slow.:rolleyes:

magnumlady wrote: »
    The thing that stands out for me is that they are having a go at 'boy racers' and a few months back one of their reporters did an article about people driving too slow.:rolleyes:

You've got to admire them for their newsworthy balanced journalism

It still does not excuse the damage done in Rosses Point or anywhere else. Hundreds watching doughnuts etc , knocking things down, leaving damage behind etc should not be condoned.

It still does not excuse the damage done in Rosses Point or anywhere else. Hundreds watching doughnuts etc , knocking things down, leaving damage behind etc should not be condoned.

I don't think anyone is condoning it, just saying that a little bit of messin is to be expected. It could have been so much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I read that article... one of the most ridiculous & irrisponsible pieces of journalism ever put to paper... if it were a case of pedestrians moving too slowly he'd be on the other side of the fence.

It could have been so much worse.

When discussing anything , of course "It could have been ( or be ) so much worse". The recession could be so much worse. A two legged dog could be so much worse - it could have no legs.

I do not think if anyone would have noticed if 200 "yahoos" were too quiet at 2 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

someone drove around the inside of caltragh roundabout at the weekend.
    the grass area is ruined. the first roundabout after coming off the bypass heading nothwards.
    also a fair bit of tyre damage on the green area opposite the summerhill roundabout.
    this was not done last friday and was done before monday morning.
    have a look if you dont believe me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

They were out the back of the retail park in Cooloney, in a big tarmac carpark.

Feck all residents around, doing what they were gonna do.

The law came and moved them, they then went to The Sea Road and the likes and did it in resisdential areas with moving traffic.

Makes sense.

As for damaging tarmac.. pffft, one artic turning on full lock will do a hell of a lot more permanent damage than a young buck in a Twincam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Their local councillor, Jude "The Obscure" Devins prompted the rally enthusiastically. If they have any complaints they know where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

strongr wrote: »
    The people that live in rosses point are idiots, one weekend of the year put up with it.....

Not a sweeping statment at all!!!
    A rally weekend is going to bring these people. Rosses Point is full of old dears that this type of thing would frighten. Not there fault, they have crap like the weekender shoving it down their necks ( oh and knobs calling them idiots!!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Wow, see what happened there! "Crap" Weekender writes a story and suddenly people are talking about it. You'd think it was a newspaper!! Seriously folks, local newspaper covers local story: move on! As for the "it was only one weekend" comment: party outside your gaff tonight then while you're trying to relax,is it? Sure what's the problem, it's only for one night.:rolleyes:

nedoo wrote: »
    Not a sweeping statment at all!!!
    A rally weekend is going to bring these people. Rosses Point is full of old dears that this type of thing would frighten. Not there fault, they have crap like the weekender shoving it down their necks ( oh and knobs calling them idiots!!:D)

please.... they were down at the beach with **** all houses around.They weren't hurting anyone or anything, they were down at the beach bothering no one. Weekender blew it all out of proportion

Wester wrote: »
    Wow, see what happened there! "Crap" Weekender writes a story and suddenly people are talking about it. You'd think it was a newspaper!! Seriously folks, local newspaper covers local story: move on! As for the "it was only one weekend" comment: party outside your gaff tonight then while you're trying to relax,is it? Sure what's the problem, it's only for one night.:rolleyes:

Well all the cars around in the rosses didn't bother me. They knew it was going to happen because it happened the last time the rally was here.

strongr wrote: »
    please.... they were down at the beach with **** all houses around.They weren't hurting anyone or anything, they were down at the beach bothering no one. Weekender blew it all out of proportion

They woke the whole village - from babies to families to old people - as well as many of the people on the road between the Point and Sligo. Doughnuts, figure eights, car horns beeping, engines revving , people roaring + shouting etc may be ok to you but not to many people at 2 am. Who is going to repair the damage they done ? When someone gets killed or injured who is responsible ?

They woke the whole village - from babies to families to old people - as well as many of the people on the road between the Point and Sligo. Doughnuts, figure eights, car horns beeping, engines revving , people roaring + shouting etc may be ok to you but not to many people at 2 am. Who is going to repair the damage they done ? When someone gets killed or injured who is responsible ?

Another sweeping tatemement. They woke the whole village did they? From the beach? Do you complain about the milkman too when he drives around early in the morning delivering milk?

I read the article in the weekender. What a load of nonsense. I will summise:

SHOCK HORROR AT RALLY WEEKEND. People behaving anti socially, tyre marks were left in grass (:eek:) a bollard was ran over (shock horror) and a car was towed away on a trailer. What is the world coming to?

I mean please, a car broke a bollard? FFS! I was reversing out of a driveway there a while ago and I clipped my wingmirror. I think I'll call the weekender and get a story written.

Now if there was a repeat of similar circumstances to what happened in Salthill at the galway rally some time back I'd say something but this is a load of rot over nothing

Why weren't the guards called if they were that bad?

Another sweeping tatemement. They woke the whole village did they? From the beach?

On the way to the beach you pass the village ....I know of residents half a mile from the main road who heard them, they were making so much noise

Do you complain about the milkman too when he drives around early in the morning delivering milk?

A milkman would be a lot quieter than a large crowd making as much noise as possible.

Why weren't the guards called if they were that bad?

I heard the Gardai did move them on , they went to another village where they were moved out of by the Gardai there, and they went back to Rosses Point where the Gardai caught up with them again ...I would imagine its not easy to police a large gang like that...fair play to the cops or it could have been a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Darn, I missed it ... sounds entertaining.

I knocked over a bollard once, wasn't being antisocial just a blind spot ...

I'm sure the crowds attending felt they were being very sociable ...

It could be worse, you could have eaten a cooking apple ;)

It was bound to happen, music festivals attract street musicians ...

Advertisement