Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Boy racer" trouble at the weekend rally

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

jimmmy wrote: »
    They woke the whole village - from babies to families to old people - as well as many of the people on the road between the Point and Sligo.

lol no they didn't, i live right on the road and heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was there a police presence at the different race places? Regarding the boy racers. They were always going to put in a special appearance. Finished Uni on Thurs last week and there was a big gang of them up there sussing things out. They were very interested in the ESB's electric powered motor. The guys were getting annoyed with them and wanted them to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

200,000+ spectators,full house signs on hotels and b+bs,
    brisk business in cafes, deli's and restauraunts all adding up to
    50 million yoyos to an ailing local economy....and the best that
    the boo-brigade can come up with is a bollard and a few sods
    of turf damaged, pffffft!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Most b+b's were empty and I heard many hotels had some empty rooms.

If you think there were 200,000 plus spectators in Sligo this year, you obviously cannot count !

Enniskillen on Saturday night wasnt any busier than other Saturdays!

• Advertisement

Same in most places around Co. Sligo. Sure there was a few hundred rally fans here and there throughout the day, ( some with with their packed sandwiches ! )....but as for a 50 million injection in to the local economy ! lol I would say more was spent by Bord Failte in their multi euro sponsorship advertising deal, and in Gardai overtime etc. Still good to have it in the area though. I remember after the last rally ( 14 months ago , which attracted more crowds etc ) chatting to a hotelier about it and he soon brought me down to ground.

If you think there were 200,000 plus spectators in Sligo this year, you obviously cannot count !

not just Sligo! it was actually 6 counties on both sides of the border
    i did'nt even attempt to count them:eek:.

according to gardai figures it was 200,000+, other quotes were
    as high as 270,000....maybe the "weekender" knows the true figure:rolleyes:
    perhaps it was the same few hundred that you mentioned at each
    location.

it is heartwarming to see that even after all your negative posts
    on the rally that you still feel its "good to have it in the area
    though":confused:

dardevle wrote: »
    not just Sligo! it was actually 6 counties on both sides of the border
    i did'nt even attempt to count them:eek:.
    I know the rally was held in different counties but we are talking about " around Co. Sligo" This is the Sligo thread after all.
    according to gardai figures it was 200,000+, other quotes were
    as high as 270,000....maybe the "weekender" knows the true figure:rolleyes:

Can a have a link to that Gardai quote? Given the population of the county is in the region of 55,000 as far as I know ....

If there was 200,000 why were the hotels not booked out?

perhaps it was the same few hundred that you mentioned at each
    location.
    Of course it was'nt the same few hundred here + there.

To get back to the subject of the thread, while the antics of the boy racers did make front page headline news in the media, well done to the Gardai for keeping it under some control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Empty rooms? One girl at work was turfed out of her bedroom by her mother for the weekend as she needed the room for the B&B

sligo champion feb 4th '09;

Following the overwhelming success of Rally Ireland in Sligo and the North West at the week-end, the Chairman of Failte Ireland North West, Paschal Mooney, has urged a high-powered lobbying campaign to ensure that the lucrative event returns to the region.
    Thousands of visitors, generating an estimated economic spin-off in excess of €50 million, transformed Sligo into a spectacular sporting arena as the world's top rally drivers battled it out for ultimate glory over three days of dramatic action.
    The North West replaced Monte Carlo as the location for the opening stage of the 2009 World Rally Championship and despite unfavourable weather conditions over the opening two days, the event was judged to be even more successful than the 2007 Rally Ireland.
    Hotels and bed and breakfast operators throughout the region reported about 90% capacity business and pubs, restaurants and shops also enjoyed a significant increase in trade.
    All the figures haven't been finalised yet but early reports indicated that around 250,000 visitors were in the region over the week-end. Despite the bad weather, the atmosphere was terrific and everybody had a wonderful time.

the rally ireland website gave the gardai estimates at 200,000 and have since revised the number upward!...also the population of the county matters why???is there a cap on the number of visitors depending on the population:confused:

• Advertisement

The reporter says
    Thousands of visitors......

Someone else says "around 250,000 visitors were in the region over the week-end" lol. If you think 250,000 visitors were in the region over the weekend why were the hotels locally not full, why was the traffic not worse ? Bear in mind Sligo town has a population of about 19,000 ....considering there were very few extra buses around last weeking, and assuming most visitors - being car enthusiasts - came by car, and assuming say an average occupancy per car of 3 people, that would have meant in excess of an extra 83,000 cars on the road last weekend - despite the road closures. Were these invisible cars do you think ? lol

Of course Rally Ireland will over estimate the figures as its in their interests to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The reporter says

Someone else says "around 250,000 visitors were in the region over the week-end" lol. If you think 250,000 visitors were in the region over the weekend why were the hotels locally not full, why was the traffic not worse ? Bear in mind Sligo town has a population of about 19,000 ....considering there were very few extra buses around last weeking, and assuming most visitors - being car enthusiasts - came by car, and assuming say an average occupancy per car of 3 people, that would have meant in excess of an extra 83,000 cars on the road last weekend - despite the road closures. Were these invisible cars do you think ? lol

Of course Rally Ireland will over estimate the figures as its in their interests to do so.

When has any of the sligo papers had any information of reputable quality? This is no different. It was a good weekend, well organised, minor hitches and great publicity for Sligo and the north west

the figures will always be open to interpretation...glass is half full
    or half empty depending on your outlook...

the bottom line is this
    Big_Mac wrote: »
    It was a good weekend, well organised, minor hitches and great publicity for Sligo and the north west

a weekly rag trying to sensationalize a non -story is not going to take the shine off a very successful weekend,
    end of.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

sligo champion feb 4th '09;

Following the overwhelming success of Rally Ireland in Sligo and the North West at the week-end, the Chairman of Failte Ireland North West, Paschal Mooney, has urged a high-powered lobbying campaign to ensure that the lucrative event returns to the region.
    Thousands of visitors, generating an estimated economic spin-off in excess of €50 million, transformed Sligo into a spectacular sporting arena as the world's top rally drivers battled it out for ultimate glory over three days of dramatic action.
    The North West replaced Monte Carlo as the location for the opening stage of the 2009 World Rally Championship and despite unfavourable weather conditions over the opening two days, the event was judged to be even more successful than the 2007 Rally Ireland.
    Hotels and bed and breakfast operators throughout the region reported about 90% capacity business and pubs, restaurants and shops also enjoyed a significant increase in trade.
    All the figures haven't been finalised yet but early reports indicated that around 250,000 visitors were in the region over the week-end. Despite the bad weather, the atmosphere was terrific and everybody had a wonderful time.

the rally ireland website gave the gardai estimates at 200,000 and have since revised the number upward!...also the population of the county matters why???is there a cap on the number of visitors depending on the population:confused:

WRC = Fianna Fáil on wheels! eg failed Seanad Éireann candidate Paschal Mooney

wrc=world rally championship.
    paschal mooney=chairman failte ireland north west.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eddiebear

I heard the Gardai did move them on , they went to another village where they were moved out of by the Gardai there, and they went back to Rosses Point where the Gardai caught up with them again ...I would imagine its not easy to police a large gang like that...fair play to the cops or it could have been a lot worse.

the gaurds got fed up chasing boy racers out of places in the town & in the end gave up & started telling them rosses point was where the messing was & that they would be left to it out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

eddiebear wrote: »
    the gaurds got fed up chasing boy racers out of places in the town & in the end gave up & started telling them rosses point was where the messing was & that they would be left to it out there

think thats the only solution anyway to give them a place to mess about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eddiebear

think thats the only solution anyway to give them a place to mess about

i agree because they were messing on the main roads which is way to dangerous

I agree. Not to mention wakening hundreds of children, families + old people at 2 am with engines revving, people yah-ooing etc

Advertisement