Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyne Valley Honey?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Anyone else notice it's gone to hell recently? :confused: The flavour of it has totally changed, it's really sickly sweet and yucky. Has anyone else found this, or am I just talking crazy-talk??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Have a look at the label to see what the ingredients are - I noticed a couple of years ago a label that is basically sugarry syrup blended with (imported) honey..... dunno if it was boyne valley but I always check the label now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lukethyland

Hey guys, would you be more inclined to buy Boyne Valley honey if it was blended Irish honey taken from small beekeepers from around this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Hey guys, would you be more inclined to buy Boyne Valley honey if it was blended Irish honey taken from small beekeepers from around this country?

I definitely would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

i think i must be very abnormal but i just can't stand the taste of honey. it's just too sweet or something .

anyone else fell this??? although it's probably not the best question to ask on a thread based around people who like honey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ha, my mother HATES honey with a passion.
    I love it, boyne Valley is one of the few I'll eat. Though I will admit it's not as thick/nice as it used to be. (I used to sneak a spoonful when I was younger)
    I *loved* Hartleys Honey, you know the small tubs you get in restaurants/cafes? They still do the jams but don't do the honey anymore. Twas yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Just getting back to this as I checked the label. *facepalm* Should have done that in the first place!

The original Boyne Valley Honey is 100% pure honey blended from suppliers over Ireland. The flavoured honeys are blended from around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 anonymus1268

I know it is an old post, but maybe this can still be useful.
    I just checked the Boyne Valley Honey website; I also thought it would be better to buy an only Irish honey, as that would also mean less carbon foot print, and I found that they have, but in a small scale production (which is also good), but the demand is greater than that.

http://www.boynevalleyhoney.com/irish-honey.htm

I have also recommend them in their contact us section, not to filter the honey, it makes it too runny, not like real honey.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I know it is an old post, but maybe this can still be useful.
    I just checked the Boyne Valley Honey website; I also thought it would be better to buy an only Irish honey, as that would also mean less carbon foot print, and I found that they have, but in a small scale production (which is also good), but the demand is greater than that.

http://www.boynevalleyhoney.com/irish-honey.htm

I have also recommend them in their contact us section, not to filter the honey, it makes it too runny, not like real honey.
    ;)

Any proof to back that statement up?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Any proof to back that statement up?
    Well, I suppose the link to their website, that is from where I got the information.

Well, I suppose the link to their website, that is from where I got the information.

I asked because it has been shown that local produced sometimes has a larger carbon footprint especially compared to 3rd world countries. I would be sceptical of that claim.

• Advertisement

I asked because it has been shown that local produced sometimes has a larger carbon footprint especially compared to 3rd world countries. I would be sceptical of that claim.
    Really? I didn't know that! How can you find out then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

This comparison has been made (by the climate change skeptics) where crops grown in heated greenhouses can have the same (or higher) carbon footprint than the same food grown in a hot country and then flown here. However, there is no way a crop that can be produced naturally here will have a carbon footprint anywhere near the same product flown in from abroad (and AFAIK bees do not need to be kept in climate controlled conditions). I suspect you knew this but decided to stir up the thread anyway. Completely off topic BTW.

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    This comparison has been made (by the climate change skeptics) where crops grown in heated greenhouses can have the same (or higher) carbon footprint than the same food grown in a hot country and then flown here. However, there is no way a crop that can be produced naturally here will have a carbon footprint anywhere near the same product flown in from abroad (and AFAIK bees do not need to be kept in climate controlled conditions). I suspect you knew this but decided to stir up the thread anyway. Completely off topic BTW.

Nope not really. Ok take for example bees in Ireland. The beekeeper in Ireland have scattered areas that they must constantly shift hives between using transport. In other countries the beekeeper has his hives on a large tract of land and workers may cycle to work rather than drive as in Ireland, the processing plant is closer to the hives, electricity may be a higher % from renewable sources than Ireland. Its a long life product so it will be transported by sea not air.

Excuse the pun but I just have a bee in my bonnet were marketing people make these claims but don't actually crunch numbers from all the inputs involved to prove its correct. And alot of Foodies would take claims such as carbon footprint into consideration when deciding what to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭CabanasBoy

Nope not really. Ok take for example bees in Ireland. The beekeeper in Ireland have scattered areas that they must constantly shift hives between using transport. In other countries the beekeeper has his hives on a large tract of land and workers may cycle to work rather than drive as in Ireland, the processing plant is closer to the hives, electricity may be a higher % from renewable sources than Ireland. Its a long life product so it will be transported by sea not air.

Excuse the pun but I just have a bee in my bonnet were marketing people make these claims but don't actually crunch numbers from all the inputs involved to prove its correct. And alot of Foodies would take claims such as carbon footprint into consideration when deciding what to buy.

You are really barking up the wrong tree (poking the wrong hive?) You're making a hell of a lot of assumptions regarding electricity generation, transport, where workers live and what mode of transport they use.
    Let's see some statistics please for all of the above.

CabanasBoy wrote: »
    You are really barking up the wrong tree (poking the wrong hive?) You're making a hell of a lot of assumptions regarding electricity generation, transport, where workers live and what mode of transport they use.
    Let's see some statistics please for all of the above.

No problem, you email Boyne Valley get there carbon footprint study for that claim and then we can compare the figures for foreign honey product against each criteria of their study. Ta

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread is rapidly veering completely off-topic. If you wish to discuss carbon footprints and whatnot, I suggest you find a different forum such as Humanities or Sustainabilty & Environmental Issues.

Advertisement