Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there and decent famous guitarists that started in their 20s?

• 03-02-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭

I started at 22 and have been playing around eight months. Need someone to look to. Not that I want to be famous, just a good guitarist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Why does it age matter when starting to play guitar ? You can be a good guitarist in no time regardless of when you start playing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

hmm... thats a good question, Iv always wondered whether there are any late bloomers that made it famous.

and haha!! "dont want to be famous"
    If i could be famous from playing guitar!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Pyr0 wrote: »
    You can be a good guitarist in no time regardless of when you start playing !

I always thought playing any musical instrument to it's full potential was a lifetime's work. :confused: Did n't know guitar was that easy. :D

OP : How about Robert Johnson the famous blues guitarist ? Became a great guitarist, and an icon before he died............. aged 27. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Sure there are people who started at 9 or 10 who are nothing special. It's like everything else, it just depends on how much work you put into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Rigsby wrote: »
    I always thought playing any musical instrument to it's full potential was a lifetime's work. :confused: Did n't know guitar was that easy. :D

OP : How about Robert Johnson the famous blues guitarist ? Became a great guitarist, and an icon before he died............. aged 27. ;)

Well, correction,
    he was a bad player, disappeared for a few years, sold his soul to the devil and returned an amazing player :)
    (or so the legend goes)

It always used to bother me that I was no good and not even a teenager. I also used to think that 17 was too late to start until I started at 19. It isn't really relevant I don't think. There's guitarists/musicians/songwriters who've only gained exposure in their later years and I don't think it matters if you've been playing 2years, 2decades or 20 minutes - if you can write a good tune then fair balls.

There's guy who've been playing their whole lives who've not got the recognition that the likes of Kurt Cobain got or Steve Jones ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Well, correction,
    he was a bad player
    Bad, like bad? Like Michael Jackson bad? You mean bad means good, no?

Doctor J wrote: »

He must mean "bad" as in good. If not then every modern blues guitarist is bad (as in bad :D ) because almost every one of them have borrowed something from him, possibly without even knowing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

Hub wrote: »
    I started at 22 and have been playing around eight months. Need someone to look to. Not that I want to be famous, just a good guitarist

Im not 100%, but I think that Louis Stewart didnt start gigging until his 20s (famous Dublin jazz guitarist)

Another name that springs to mind is Mick Taylor. He was only around 18 years old when he played with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

You know it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭spudwiser

apparently jack black only started when was 23 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Rigsby wrote: »
    Another name that springs to mind is Mick Taylor. He was only around 18 years old when he played with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

Seriously?
    He was only 21 when he joined the Stones! Bastard!

Glassheart wrote: »
    Seriously?

Seriously ! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Glassheart wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Dont forget jimmy page.

That guy ruled the sessions, and the english music ciruit before he was 22 :).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

even though he agreed, i still think he mean bad as in bad.. which is in agreement with the ol' crossroads tale about him mentioned above :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest! Apparently he started playing guitar at 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theflangemonstr

That can't be true, Glen Tipton started at 21!! There's some hope for me yet icon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Well I'm fcuked so. Might as well bin my guitar I didn't start until Xmas and I'm 31. lol
    But then again I know people who have been playing 5 years a few hours a week, and I can play better than them already. Not because I'm gifted or anything. Just because I practice 3-5 hours a day 7 days a week. No more Tv or Xbox (barely). I thought if I can spend 5 hours a day playing GH or Rockband on the Xbox why not just practice with the real thing.

So my point is basically you can start at 10, or 20, or 50. It doesn't matter as long as you practice and enjoy it.
    The more you practice the better you'lll get.

I don't know if anyone has seen the clip of that 8 year old Asian kid playing crossroads, Crazy train and a few others, but how long could he have been playing. Genius? I don't think so, just kids that age take in a hell of a lot more than grow adults do. Muscle memory and brains like sponges helps.

Look at bands like Oasis they could barely play any instrument when they became famous. They were only playing about 6months. They knew a few open chords and power chords and that was it. Kirk Coban and co never learned. lol But still have riffs as soon as you hear them, you know who it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Just play it and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kujosHeist

slightly off topic here but i read an article in the magazine focus where they found when it came to playing intrusments that 10,000 hours of dedicated practice over a decade or two were required to become world class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

kujosHeist wrote: »
    slightly off topic here but i read an article in the magazine focus where they found when it came to playing intrusments that 10,000 hours of dedicated practice over a decade or two were required to become world class

That means 2.74 hours a day for 10 years or 1.37 hours a day for 20 years.

So if I practice for about 5 hours a day for the next 5 or so years, I'll be a 36 year old guitar god!!! lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

Please correct me if im wrong but i heard the guitarist of boston started when he was 21, i cant remember his name tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Slash

picked up guitar age = 15
    most of
    Appetite written age = 20

gareth pearson

picked up guitar age = 15

opening for tommy emmanuel age = 19

There guys were obsessed with guitar though. Slash ditched his mates for a few years to play and practice. Pearson could be heard all day and all night, litterally, playing his guitar.

It can be done not with dedication, but obsession. Becasreful though, some one might call for the men in the white coats...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

didnt slash only make it in his late 20's?

im a big slash fan and read the book, i really should know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

dunno when he started but seasick steve was a bit of a latecomer!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 A-C-C#-D

-=al=- wrote: »
    didnt slash only make it in his late 20's?

im a big slash fan and read the book, i really should know!

He was 23 when Sweet Child O' Mine came out. So it's more like early-mid twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

lil wayne started in his 20s didn't he?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mcronnymc

Tom morello was 27 when rage against the machine got a record deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Disclaimer: Now I have no idea if this lad is any good at all because I have never even heard one of their songs but they are kinda famous now.

I read that the guy Jesse from Eagles of Death Metal took up guitar at 26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

mcronnymc wrote: »
    Tom morello was 27 when rage against the machine got a record deal.

that brightened up my day.

that brightened up my day.
    Sorry to throw a dampner on it, but he practised religiously 6 hours a day, broken into 2 hours for theory, 2 hours for listening to songs and playing them, and two hours for writing and messing around with effects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Sorry to throw a dampner on it, but he practised religiously 6 hours a day, broken into 2 hours for theory, 2 hours for listening to songs and playing them, and two hours for writing and messing around with effects

And if anybody practises that hard, they stand just as good a chance as becoming great as anyone else, no matter when they start.

oh thats not a damper, I started practicing at 14.

oh thats not a damper, I started practicing at 14.

Do you work to a certain routine, and also do you put in much hours. Not criticising or anything just interested

Do you work to a certain routine, and also do you put in much hours. Not criticising or anything just interested

I keep a routine of sorts, sometimes I let it slip but its fairly consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I wish I could do that :(

Advertisement