Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom breaking my heart, what can I do?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

I moved house closer to my work recently in order to cut down costs and do my bit for the environment. This meant moving outside the city to the town where I work.

Both myself and my girlfriend need broadband on our phoneline for work, I'm currently trying to get broadband on my telephone line for 3 weeks.
    I had the telephone line activated by Eircom about 3 weeks ago at a cost of E120 for about 9 mins work (this was usually free in the past).

The apartment on my left have Eircom broadband and the apartment on my right have BT broadband.
    My mistake was that I told Eircom I wanted to get BT Broadband on my phoneline (my job will subsidise it). Ever since then I've had nothing but lies and opposition from Eircom.

At the start I was told, broadband would be ready in 5 days.
    I waited the 5 days and nothing happened, no luck.

I rang them once per 2 days.
    They simply lie and say "it will work tommorow for sure".
    After going through the customer service agents for about a week, I eventually gave up.

I was told to report a fault.
    When I rang to report the fault, the guy in the faults department couldn't find my phone or account number.
    It seems it was present in one database, but not present in the others.
    Someone hadn't bothered to enter my details. (The activation deadline was the 27th and this was on the 29th)
    He told me to wait until after the weekend and everything would be fine.
    I insisted on putting a fault report on the line.
    He agreed, tested the line, said everything was fine and said I just need to wait for my details to be entered in the database.

So I waited another weekend, the guy from BT rang me yesterday and said that the line was ready for broadband.
    I gave my details and he did one more test, and it transpired that the line was again showing red.
    He told me to report another fault on the line today.

I rang customer service, they said everything is fine for broadband, no need to report a fault and it will work tommorow (again!).
    I rang the fault department today and the guy politely told me me to sod off (understandably on his part as I lost my temper after getting the run around from everyone), saying he doesn't deal with broadband, only faults on making & receiving phonecalls.
    He told me to ring sales and speak to a manager.

I rang sales, asked for a manager.
    I told the woman I want to cancel my account with Eircom because I'm paying for a service I can't use.
    She told me the customer service agents should have never said I could get broadband on the telephone line and they would need to investigate the matter for 6-10 days.

Out of curiosity, after she had hung up, I rang up the broadband sales department and said I wanted to buy Eircom broadband.
    The sales girl jumped into action, doing tests and various things (some actual work!) and said I couldn't get broadband on my phone because something needed to be changed at the local exchange.
    I would have to wait 4-6 weeks but she would put a note on my account.

If I can't get broadband at my new apartment, then I have no choice but to move back to the city. There is NO alternative.
    I have lived outside the city in far smaller towns in the past and never had a problem getting Eircom broadband.
    This only seems to have arisen (i) in this town && (ii) using a different ISP.

• Does anyone know how to make them speed this up?
    • Are BT doing something wrong here? Why does BB seem viable with Eircom, but BT keep saying NO,NO,NO?
    • Why couldn't the engineer who connected the phone have altered it at the exchange on the day? (I told him/them it was for broadband)
    • How can the apartment next door on either side get broadband, but I cannot?
    • If I cancel my account assuming I cannot get broadband, will they have to refund me the connection fee of 120 Euro?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like you have a borderline line...what does it say when you use the Broadband checker on the eircom site?

If its borderline it means that engineer work may be required, I have heard of issus in relation to these type of lines if people are ordering with other providers other then eircom.

As for getting the install fee back, well you won't because no provider including eircom can tell you if your line can take broadband before its activated as such you take the chance of it not passing when you pay the install fee. Its unlikely you;ll get money back but you could lodge a complaint with eircom.

Eircom's complaint procedure is on the eircom site (can't direct link to it) however I believe I've also seen it outlined on www.eircomsucks.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

As far as I can recall, eircom usually don't do tests on new lines until after a period of 4-6 weeks, to see if they're suitable for BB. That's probably why you were getting the runaround (wel, that and telling them you were going to get BB from BT!)

If this has changed, I apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Thank for the replies.

Is there anyway I can encourage them to do the necessary work on my line?
    God forbid, but I will buy the BB from Eircom if thats what it takes(Urgently need it for work!)

Caball, when I do the test, it says:
    Unfortunately it appears that Broadband is not available to you at the moment. In the meantime, check out DIAL UP.

I swear to god, I will move to the UK before I will go back to using Dial Up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Is there anyway I can encourage them to do the necessary work on my line?

None that I know of, eircom do whatever they want, and not even the regulator will cross them.

As your line is only 3 weeks old, it's entirely possible that they haven't even tested it yet. You'll either need to wait a few more weeks, or, ring sales and order eircom broadband. Don't mention the problems you've already had, and act as though this is your first call. They might push through a test if they think they'll get a sale out of it.

If this works, simply cancel the order before the 14 day distance selling period is up, and order off whomever you want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am slightly baffled here in spite of all you have told us.

1. Your ordered a line with Eircom and this is installed.

2. Did you order your bb then through BT?

As I understand it once you order you bb through another isp they should then be dealing with any issues arising in connection with that order.

So have you formally placed an order with BT? And if so what were you told when you placed it? Or have you simply made inquiries with BT?

As people have pointed out it normally takes a newly installed line up to 4 weeks to show up on the test database and this may be contributing to your problems.

When you say you were told bb would be ready in 5 days who told you this? If you were ordering it from BT then Eircom could/should not have told you this.

Even with all going well bb installation normally takes a couple of week from the order. So can you confirm that you have actually ordered bb with BT and when?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    I am slightly baffled here in spite of all you have told us.

1. Your ordered a line with Eircom and this is installed.
    Correct

2. Did you order your bb then through BT?
    Exactly, through BT

As I understand it once you order you bb through another isp they should then be dealing with any issues arising in connection with that order.

So have you formally placed an order with BT?
    Tried to, they won't take account details as they cannot provide a service

And if so what were you told when you placed it?
    They did line tests and said I need to ring Eircom back as the line is showing up red
    Or have you simply made inquiries with BT?
    No I was given a direct number for a guy in BT who I speak to once per day or per 2 days. He checks the number for me in the morning and evening and rings me if something has changed.

As people have pointed out it normally takes a newly installed line up to 4 weeks to show up on the test database and this may be contributing to your problems.
    I never waited more than a week over the last 5 years, but I can accept this may be the case. I'm being told to wait 7-9 weeks however.
    My activation date with Eircom was the 14th January
    Formal Deadline Activation date was set as 27th January
    I put in a fault report on the 29th January, which passed
    On 29th January, I was told that the problem was they had never put my name or account in the database (none of the fault technicians could find me, only customer service)
    On 30th January I was assured that broadband would be 100% available, for the last time, on the 3rd February (today)

I was told today when I tried to order Eircom broadband, that I will need to wait another 4-6 weeks, possibly longer.

When you say you were told bb would be ready in 5 days who told you this?
    Virtually every Eircom Customer Service Agent I spoke to, starting from the 14th January onward.

If you were ordering it from BT then Eircom could/should not have told you this.
    When I ordered the broadband from BT on the 14th January, they explained they couldn't activate broadband services on the line and to ring Eircom.
    On the 14th January, I rang Eircom to enquire if :
    A) I could get broadband? and
    B) When I could get broadband?
    They have lied through their teeth everyday and always given me a date for 1 or 2 days in the future to shut me up and get rid

Even with all going well bb installation normally takes a couple of week from the order. So can you confirm that you have actually ordered bb with BT and when?
    Yes, 14th January 2009, was given a direct number for a helpful guy who check the line himself in morning and evening, and calls me if something has changed.
    As of yet, they refuse to take payment details

I will of course, have to pay 2 months line rental and the activation fee to Eircom however.

I will of course, have to pay 2 months line rental and the activation fee to Eircom however.

In your anxiety to get BB you may have caused confusion with everyone! (Not that thats an excuse.) But if you line was activated on 14th January it could be the 14th February before it actually appears on the database for the test results. Prior to that it will show up as not being suitable That is the way the system appears to work as we understand it on here anyways and as far as we know the BT guy who is ringing you is dependent on that database too.

If you line is working for voice then presumably a fault will not show up on it.

In your anxiety to get BB you may have caused confusion with everyone! (Not that thats an excuse.) But if you line was activated on 14th January it could be the 14th February before it actually appears on the database for the test results. Prior to that it will show up as not being suitable That is the way the system appears to work as we understand it on here anyways and as far as we know the BT guy who is ringing you is dependent on that database too.

If you line is working for voice then presumably a fault will not show up on it.

Dub45, I checked my filing cabinet yesterday after I reading your message.

2007, I lived in Blackpool in Cork, ordered Eircom in March and had Irish Broadband after 5 working days from activation.

2005, lived in WaterGrasshill in Cork, ordered Eircom in September and had UTV Broadband in 8 working days from activation.

Previous to this, lived in Midelton and had eircom broadband, close to immediate connection.

WaGraHill is far smaller and more rural than Bandon, Midelton is smaller also I would guess.

Never before had a problem with Eircom (admittedly never before told them I was ordering broadband from a different provider - my mistake, lesson learned)

Perhaps its Bandon?
    But my neighbours on both sides have DSL, as do the local gym and my office, about 60secs walking distance.

What is different this time? I don't know

RE: BT guy - he told me he is working off 2 databases, Eircoms and BTs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

2007, I lived in Blackpool in Cork, ordered Eircom in March and had Irish Broadband after 5 working days from activation.

2005, lived in WaterGrasshill in Cork, ordered Eircom in September and had UTV Broadband in 8 working days from activation.

When you say you got the line activated, was the line itself already installed, or did you have to get an engineer out to install it, as you had to do this time? If the line was already there, and had previously been active, then there may be a previous line check result still on it. A brand new line generally takes up to a month to show up as passing.

When I got my line installed (brand new), I moved it to Smart within 8 days. Even then, the eircom line checker still said FAIL, the line never passed. As an LLU operator though, Smart do their own testing.
    RE: BT guy - he told me he is working off 2 databases, Eircoms and BTs.

All the re-sellers use eircom's result database, for bitstream lines. BT may have a 2nd database for their LLU exchanges, though I don't think Bandon is one of these. This could be what the guy was referring to thogh, as I don't believe that BT can test the bitstream lines.

Jor el, I see what you mean.
    Yea, I had to get the engineer out, cost E120-ish

Looks like I'll just have to wait the 2 months for Eircom then.

Nice little efficient country we live in.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Jor el, I see what you mean.
    Yea, I had to get the engineer out, cost E120-ish

Looks like I'll just have to wait the 2 months for Eircom then.

Nice little efficient country we live in.:rolleyes:

You blame this whole thing on you sying you are getting broadband with another provider. Believe me, no one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

You blame this whole thing on you sying you are getting broadband with another provider. Believe me, no one cares.
    Oh, Eircom care alright.
    When they upgraded my exchange to BB, an Eircom guy went around all the houses to try to get the orders in for Eircom BB. I assured him that I would be ordering my service from Eircom. My connection was up and running in less than a week,and 2 days earlier than they said it would be. I had also had an engineer out within 2 working days to repair a line fault (while waiting for the BB to be enabled).
    A neighbour who went with Perlico had to wait a couple more weeks to get her BB.

Since ordering the BB and logging the fault report, I've had 2 customer care calls from them asking if I'm happy with the service.

So Eircom do care.

I had a very similar situation to you back in September, only it was near Dublin city centre! I got a phone line connected which initially passed for broadband but later failed. BT were giving me the run around, had I ordered it with Eircom it may have been different but I was then told by the Eircom engineer that the copper on this road is too old to carry anything other than PSTN, not even ISDN. I don't know if it was a fob off but I cancelled the line as a result; I had to pay the connection charge and two months line rental, came to over €200 wasted on a failed attempt to get broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Location South Dublin + BT Broadband = Me very Happy :)

Have had 'BT' Broadband for over a year now, no complaints, its very good ............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

Just pack your bags and get out of this country as soon as you can and you'll be the luckiest guy in the world. Hardly to find other country where ripping-off people is a common thing. :(
    You can object me but first show me other country selling sh1tband for amazing money. Ireland had the most expensive and slow BB in Europe if not Worldwide. No thanks to Eircom it will be also most useless broadband. Expensive and slow broadband for reading texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

don't want to make thing seem mor horrible to you.
    but i moved into a new now back in 2005, had phone lines activated 2 months later and broadban 9 months after that. i did this all through BT.
    eircom hate other companies, and there bottom of the pile as regards cutomers to do work for.

i was told at the time from a BT sales person to cancel the BT cotract and move to eircom to sndure i'd get set-up quickly, and then try to move back to BT.
    madness i know but that was the way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I have been trying to get broadband since September. I have a new line direct to the exchange 1 mile away and the line still fails.

I asked an eircom engineer who was working on lines down the road from me and he said that my line should have no trouble getting dsl. Eircom don`t give a crap, and say "sorry you are on a split/carrier line", even when I know i`m not. (I get over 50k on a dial up connection)

I have given up ringing them :rolleyes:

Shulgin wrote: »
    I have been trying to get broadband since September. I have a new line direct to the exchange 1 mile away and the line still fails.

I asked an eircom engineer who was working on lines down the road from me and he said that my line should have no trouble getting dsl. Eircom don`t give a crap, and say "sorry you are on a split/carrier line", even when I know i`m not. (I get over 50k on a dial up connection)

I have given up ringing them :rolleyes:

I keep repeating this here but a letter to the Chief Executive of Eircom giving full details of your plight has been known to work wonders. There have been several cases of it here - worth a try anyways.

I keep repeating this here but a letter to the Chief Executive of Eircom giving full details of your plight has been known to work wonders. There have been several cases of it here - worth a try anyways.

dub45,
    that would be an excellent idea to be honest.

This is how I got my other thread with Hertz resolved

do u have any contact details?

(At the moment, I'm actually spending more money than I was before because I drive to the city everyday to use the BB at my fathers house:()

Thanks for that.

but!

My line magically passed the test all of a sudden today.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Shulgin wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

but!

My line magically passed the test all of a sudden today.
    :)

Because the test is really just a database of numbers updated once a month. Your line failed as it wasn't there until now

My line failed again today.

The Customer Service operators said I may have to wait 6 weeks.
    This is driving me erratic

My line failed again today.

The Customer Service operators said I may have to wait 6 weeks.
    This is driving me erratic

Now if only they were driving you erotic you might have some fun!:D

I can't even laugh mate.
    My GF is having a fit because this is causing mahoosive problems for her with work/study.

What do you guys think of the 3 Mobile sticks?
    Even very basic broadband would be a help, i.e. if we could just check our mail and connect to study sites, there would be some relief.

I can't even laugh mate.
    My GF is having a fit because this is causing mahoosive problems for her with work/study.

What do you guys think of the 3 Mobile sticks?
    Even very basic broadband would be a help, i.e. if we could just check our mail and connect to study sites, there would be some relief.

Is there anyone nearby that you are friendly with that would let you share their net via wireless?

Unfortunately not mate.

Eircom sent me a bill today for 2 months advance Line Rental!

This is going from bad to worse.:(:(

bump for Dub45

Hi mate,
    Do you have the address for the Chief Executive of Eircom to which I could address a letter?
    Its worth a try at least

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭oppiuy

To the original poster, i work for eircom and if you pm me ur tele number and account number ill have a look at your account on monday.

Now i only work there so no abuse please but some of the stuff your being told by both companies and by posters on here is rubbish.

If you got a full install for your line, by that a mean tech came out put line into your house and had to work at the exchange then we would be able to
    tell you a day later if your line was suitable. In some case's theres no test result available and we would have it updated within 48 hrs.

If you ordered with Bt and they told you 5 days, thats a lie. 10 days is the norm as exchange work needs to be carried out and to allow postage of equipment.

Bt can request an update on the line for you and can tell you why broadband may not be available without fobbing you off to eircom.

if you can recieve broadband you can get your line rental you've paid for in advance back but unfortunatly the install fee is not refundable.

Any if you what i can have a look at your line for you and tell you exactly what the problem is/was and if i can sort it for you i will.

Eircom dont mind you using bt/ perlico or any other broadband. they just rent it on to those companys

• Advertisement

oppiuy wrote: »
    To the original poster, i work for eircom and if you pm me ur tele number and account number ill have a look at your account on monday.

Now i only work there so no abuse please but some of the stuff your being told by both companies and by posters on here is rubbish.

If you got a full install for your line, by that a mean tech came out put line into your house and had to work at the exchange then we would be able to
    tell you a day later if your line was suitable. In some case's theres no test result available and we would have it updated within 48 hrs.

If you ordered with Bt and they told you 5 days, thats a lie. 10 days is the norm as exchange work needs to be carried out and to allow postage of equipment.

Bt can request an update on the line for you and can tell you why broadband may not be available without fobbing you off to eircom.

if you can recieve broadband you can get your line rental you've paid for in advance back but unfortunatly the install fee is not refundable.

Any if you what i can have a look at your line for you and tell you exactly what the problem is/was and if i can sort it for you i will.

Eircom dont mind you using bt/ perlico or any other broadband. they just rent it on to those companys

Hi mate,
    I just saw this thread and wanted to Thank you for your offer, that was very generous of you.

UPDATE:
    I don't really understand what the problem with Eircom was.
    I rang Eircom about 2.5 weeks ago and ask if they could give me internet and they said NO, so I rang Irish broadband and they said YES, definitely.

I thought I must be going mad so I rang Eircom again and asked what the status/problem was, and the Irish fella just got angry with me.

So after that I just said fcuk it and transferred my business over to Irish Broadband and the telephone line aswell.
    IBB said it would be 10 working days, so I waited and bang on the money the DSL was here to the day.

Couldn't be happier at the moment.
    Just kicking myself I didn't ring them weeks ago.

Cheers,
    Dan

Advertisement