Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers new tactics?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

I was in the city centre yesterday and walking through Temple Bar there were a group of chuggers (charity muggers, for the uninformed), as per usual.

Except now simply walking by and not making eye contact doesn't work, because they've taken on the idea of shouting over at you, forcing you to look!

Looking down and playing with my phone, or even making calls to voicemail to make it seem like I'm having a conversation just doesn't seem to give them the message that maybe I don't want to be bothered... but now, they're going to shout at me too?

Are people handing over bank details hand over fist when they shout? There must be some level of success if they've adopted this new technique...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Out of interest, how would you like to see people collecting for charity act?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

They are quite bothersome.
    They always got my housemates details because she thought they were cute... then she'd curse them when the direct debits bounced and she got fined by the bank. Quite funny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dragan wrote: »
    With dignity and manners?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Finding people walking on their own down the streets and shouting at them isn't the way to get me to give to charity. If they want to do collections on the street then by all means approach me in a polite manner, considerate of what I may want (if I'm avoiding eye contact then I don't want to be approached).

When did charitable organisations go to the school of selling by Harvey Norman?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,402 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We can turn this into a game a la Mr Shakee Hand Man...

Grab hold, shake hand, ask questions. What's his name / where's he from / how long has he been a chugger, but NEVER let go of his hand.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Scum. I'd threaten them with the Gardai. They should be taught
    how to behave in a civilised manner, I am reasonably generous
    with charity I resent being approached by them and being spoken
    to in a smart alec manner. I do make a note of which charity is
    Involved and vow never to give to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'd give alot more to charity if the hot female chuggers gave blowjobs in exchange.

Then we could call them Charity Suckers or Chuckers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Make my blood boil:

I have a policy - I will not give one cent/dime/dinar to a charity that uses them. If Bernardos etc are doing an appeal outside chugging - I wont put my hand in my pocket - regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Barnardos??

Their top man has full access to RTE most week nights to peddle his views.

That's the way it seems to me anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I got given out to by a chugger a few months ago.

He bounced up to me on O'Connell St, dodgy hair flying and tried to hug me. I am NOT a hugger. I stepped back, gave him a look and said "do NOT do that" and kept walking. He followed me and started trying his usual chugger banter "Oi hai... Oim loike soooooooo glad I sawh you..." so I just turned and told him to f*ck off. He pretended to look all hurt and said I wasn't a very nice person. I agreed and kept walking. At this stage, he was getting pissed off; more at the idea of being ignored than anything and starts sreaming down the street at me "so you want little black children to die of AIDS?! Murderer!!"

Interesting tactic but he worked for Childline and I wasn't aware of a huge youth AIDS problem over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Some data on the relationship between chugger deployment and charity revenue (if that is the term) might clear up some of this argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Firm Oxford brogue in the plums might sort it out quicker:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I have heard charities defend chuggers by pointed to the revenue they create. But I imagine, they turn more people off who would otherwise give. Long-term its self-defeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'd like to see a return to the days where they just shook a can in your face for some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

One of them walked towards me yesterday starting his spiel and was persistent even though I clearly said no. I nicely suggested that he go away otherwise he might have a sore face. ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you look like I do you rarely get bothered by chuggers.... or anyone really.
    I'm hideously ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I like to try and run over any who are on the roads and in the traffic without wearing the proper reflective jackets, then sue the charity for damage to my car after colliding with their 'collectors' who are not using any recognised health & safety measures.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Go to 9:39

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Respond in kind.

SORRY, NO! IVE NO MONEY...I WOULD IF I COULD YOU KNOW *shrug and look apologetic*

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I don't walk to avoid them. I just always say 'no' but in a friendly manner with a real big smile, keep walking and they leave me alone. I think they are trained in combat tactics so someone replying all nice and friendly confuses them and they don't no what to do. :D

It might be silly question but is there laws out there from preventing these guys/girls from hugging you and verbally attacking you when they are trying to conduct business?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Next fúcker that asks me for money is going to get a broken up face. There is a shocking amount of them. Had two diffent charities at the door last night.

Two hotties were 1st, did I want to do a monthly DD of just €13?
    "No. But any chance of a 3-way?" *eye twitch*
    Gone.

Next comes a guy on his own. "Oh hai, so Im from.."
    Me: Recession.
    Him: Ah no! Ya didnt mention the 'R' word!
    Me: Oh didnt like it? Recession recession recession (slowly closing the door) recession recession
    Him: Lol. Ok I get it.. Thanks for your..
    Me: (just the lips left) Reeeseshoooonnn.

Fúckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Larianne wrote: »
    I don't walk to avoid them. I just always say 'no' but in a friendly manner with a real big smile, keep walking and they leave me alone. I think they are trained in combat tactics so someone replying all nice and friendly confuses them and they don't no what to do. :D

It might be silly question but is there laws out there from preventing these guys/girls from hugging you and verbally attacking you when they are trying to conduct business?
    I'd say that in these overly PC times you can have them arrested for sexual assault.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whenever I see them I just cross the road to avoid them,I dont fancy givinh out my bank details to complete strangers if it is for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Abigayle wrote: »
    Next fúcker that asks me for money is going to get a broken up face.

Hi, Would you like to make a small contribution to help concern with it's charity work in the third world?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I find that a cheery "**** off" suffices as a response on these occasions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Feign leprosy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ebonyellie

i dont really lose the head much but these people make me want to scream, im sick of them ambushing me with "hello do you have a few minutes to be screwed on the street" that enthusiasm has COMMISSION written all over it. I used to pretend to be on the phone but i dont bother anymore, its the only time im rude to people is when im dealing with these clipboard cowboys. So they are upping the ante now you say? im going to have to take tranquillisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

yeah they're a pain in the hoop alright, especially the persistent followy types.
    a couple of years back there was a girl stopped me for barnardo's. she was good looking so i listened to the spiel for a couple of minutes.
    then i gave her my mates name and address.
    then i gave her the same mates mobile and home phone number.
    i gave her his place of work, his age and his date of birth (same birthday as me)
    i gave her the bank he was in but i got stuck here, cos obviously i didn't know his bank account details, only the branch.
    all the time the silly bitch is believing that these are all my details. i tell her 'look i dont have my account number with me, but if you ring me later i'll sort you out'. anyway, my mate and his girlfriend were out for dinner with another mate and his wife that night. ring ring goes the phone, and then he has a 15 minute conversation with the poor confused girl wondering how a complete stranger is listing off all his details, and wanting to know his bank account details.
    i only let him know about a week, and three or four phone calls from barnardo's later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Robbo wrote: »
    With dignity and manners?

+ showing respect to people who obviously do not want to be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Hi, Would you like to make a small contribution to help concern with it's charity work in the third world?

I was going to make a 'you leave limerick out of this' joke there but it will be the same in Dublin in no time. So I decided not to .

Advertisement