Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers new tactics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I nearly worked for a charity a few years back (2001)

It involved Concern...basically myself and another would walk around all day calling to houses up to 9pm at night....spinning the story and trying to get their bank details for a direct debit..as if..

This was a Friday and I was supposed to start Monday. Needless to say after a few drinks that weekend I though better of taking the job and never showed up...and of course got plagued by calls all week..

It was pure commission...no salary..I think it was £5.00 (old money) for everyone signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I hates them. Usually I just walk past them without saying anything. But one day I was in a good mood. One bouncy chap did his whole "Oh hai, can you spare a minute." I smiled and said "No sorry." His face immediately lost the happy look and he turned away. No "Ok" or anything from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I hate those guys. I usually ignore them, but if I have time, I stop and have a big loooong chat with them, and let them talk me into signing up for whatever it is. Then, when it comes to filling in the form, I ask why they need my date of birth? When they reply that I need to be over 18, I go "Oh no waaaay, I'm only sixteen!" They look very confused, as I am well in my twenties (and look it!) I say, "Oops, sorry for wasting your time", and wander off.

And that's MY way of being charitable, because I'm sacrificing half an hour of my time to save the rest of the passers-by from being attacked by that particular leech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hi, Would you like to make a small contribution to help concern with it's charity work in the third world?

Wanna see what it looks like under my car? ;)

Incidently, Ive just noticed an ad looking to recruit these fúckers. Think I will spend the rest of the afternoon prank calling them.

"oh hellurr thur. So Ive just inherited a load of spondoodles, and would like to make a one-off donation of 10k. Should I make the cheque out to YORE MA?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

With all the people on boards.ie, surely one them walks among us. We should have a witch hunt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Valmont wrote: »
    With all the people on boards.ie, surely one them walks among us. We should have a witch hunt!

He who smelt it, dealt it dude.

Lets get him!!

/lights torch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

After reading this thread I'm going to come up an entirely fictional person's name address and details and any time I've the time I'll give them to a chugger. If everybody did it the harrassment and abuse that somehow passes for charity work will end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

00112984 wrote: »
    I got given out to by a chugger a few months ago.

He bounced up to me on O'Connell St, dodgy hair flying and tried to hug me. I am NOT a hugger. I stepped back, gave him a look and said "do NOT do that" and kept walking. He followed me and started trying his usual chugger banter "Oi hai... Oim loike soooooooo glad I sawh you..." so I just turned and told him to f*ck off. He pretended to look all hurt and said I wasn't a very nice person. I agreed and kept walking. At this stage, he was getting pissed off; more at the idea of being ignored than anything and starts sreaming down the street at me "so you want little black children to die of AIDS?! Murderer!!"

Interesting tactic but he worked for Childline and I wasn't aware of a huge youth AIDS problem over here.

Why didnt you ask him how much of the tenner per hour he earns harassing you was he planning to donate?

Anyone ever try chatting up an attractive one?

Ive never actually seen one, most of the very few women doing it are quite frumpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I used to donate to a charity through direct debits, until they started using chuggers. I cancelled my donations, then rang them up and told them why I was cancelling, and that I'd never donate again until they stopped using this tactic.

I then started calling up any other charities whose chuggers hassled me, pretending to be a former donor who cancelled his account due to chuggers! Oh, what mischief.
    After reading this thread I'm going to come up an entirely fictional person's name address and details and any time I've the time I'll give them to a chugger.

Or better yet, get hold of a chugger's details somehow and start giving them out to rival chuggers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Larianne wrote:
    It might be silly question but is there laws out there from preventing these guys/girls from hugging you and verbally attacking you when they are trying to conduct business?
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0002.html#zza26y1997s2
    2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

( a ) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

( b ) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

without the consent of the other.

(2) In subsection (1)(a), "force" includes—
    [GA]

( a ) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and
    If they wave the clipboard in your face and you fear for your safety...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0010.html#zza26y1997s10
    Harassment.

10.—(1) Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) For the purposes of this section a person harasses another where—

( a ) he or she, by his or her acts intentionally or recklessly, seriously interferes with the other's peace and privacy or causes alarm, distress or harm to the other, and

( b ) his or her acts are such that a reasonable person would realise that the acts would seriously interfere with the other's peace and privacy or cause alarm, distress or harm to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Whenever I read one of these threads I go out of my way to get hassled by chuggers just so I can have ago at them. I get a buzz from telling these dickheads what I think of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Whenever I read one of these threads I go out of my way to get hassled by chuggers just so I can have ago at them. I get a buzz from telling these dickheads what I think of them.

Oddly enough, whenever I read one of these threads i have an urge to track down everyone who's posted and harass the living fuck out of them where they work, see how they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

shane86 wrote: »
    Most of the very few women doing it are quite frumpy.

Ah yes, but they have personaliteeeee, doncha know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

aoibhebree wrote: »
    I hate those guys. I usually ignore them, but if I have time, I stop and have a big loooong chat with them, and let them talk me into signing up for whatever it is. Then, when it comes to filling in the form, I ask why they need my date of birth? When they reply that I need to be over 18, I go "Oh no waaaay, I'm only sixteen!" They look very confused, as I am well in my twenties (and look it!) I say, "Oops, sorry for wasting your time", and wander off.

And that's MY way of being charitable, because I'm sacrificing half an hour of my time to save the rest of the passers-by from being attacked by that particular leech.

I do that as well.:D Im 21 but itell them im 17. They've no way of proving otherwise and tend to back off straight away. I also like the look off dissappointment on they're faces when i tell them this.

I remember being stopped by an African lad who was chugging and he started going on about signing up for the charity and acting like he was my buddy so i told him i was seventeen. Then he said "Ah does'nt matter brother i'm only sixteen". I then told him it's illegal to try and sign up people under 18. He looked puzzled and then mumbled ok and walked off.:D

To be honest though they are getting worse. I remember that same day a girl from the same charity followed me up the street for a few minutes reciting some legal disclaimer at lightning speed. I kept saying i was'nt interested but she would'nt stop following me till she recited the legal disclaimer.

If these people were'nt getting getting a commision for doing doing charity work i'd at least have some respect for them. They should be banned from the streets as they are doing the charities they're working for more damage than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Oddly enough, whenever I read one of these threads i have an urge to track down everyone who's posted and harass the living fuck out of them where they work, see how they like it.

i bet most people on here dont have jobs that consist of irritating the **** out of complete strangers who want nothing to do with them on the street tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 galwayfotogrfr

I usually put my phone up to my ear and walk along staring 1000 yards ahead. if any do bother me i ask them "how much are you being paid". I got wrangled in a few times before for it but was seriously let down when i met someone who said they did it and made lots of money from it. they also said that they went to the charitys christmas party and they all had a free meal and unlimited free wine. that was all a bit much so i started doing the phone thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Tell them you're not interested like a normal human being instead of rather ignorantly ignoring them while they speak to you.

Ass wrote: »
    Tell them you're not interested like a normal human being instead of rather ignorantly ignoring them while they speak to you.

A normal human being does'nt harass strangers on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

No, fúck them. If I don't want to be harassed while walking around in town* by some dreadlocked stranger hoping to embarass me into signing a financial, legally binding contract with them on a whim in the middle of the street, tough titty for 'em if I ignore the pricks. I don't think people should hit or scream at them but only becuase they don't deserve second one of my time.

Anyway, if they're gonna beg, the least they could do is get down on their knees.

*Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Next time Im going to tell them I have no bank account and have no interest in donating Then.. I'm going to stay there and keep asking them questions even if they try and ignore me. If they try and get me to donate again I'll just shrug it off say "nah but" and ask more questions. If they start talking to someone else I'm gonna keep interupting on till they tell me to **** off. Then I can turn around and say "Annoying isnt it?" :D

• Advertisement

No, fúck them. If I don't want to be harassed while walking around in town* by some dreadlocked stranger hoping to embarass me into signing a financial, legally binding contract with them on a whim in the middle of the street, tough titty for 'em if I ignore the pricks. I don't think people should hit or scream at them but only becuase they don't deserve second one of my time.

Anyway, if they're gonna beg, the least they could do is get down on their knees.

*Galway
    Since when is asking a simple question harassment?

I bet if they were hot and they were stopping you to ask you out for a couple of drinks you wouldn't consider it harassment.

When they're persistant, and they are persistant.

That makes it harassment, by definition.

But it's not always just a simple question. I'v had them follow me up the street after iv told them im not interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Barnardos??

Their top man has full access to RTE most week nights to peddle his views.

That's the way it seems to me anyway.;)

Is it that Finlay Dude...the ex Labour Party spin doctor and one time RTE commentator??

Bad noos for you horse,,,showed up on TV3 the other night as well..couldn't see if he had leather patches on the Jacket or cord trousers but he looked as if he might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

shane86 wrote: »
    Anyone ever try chatting up an attractive one?

Ive never actually seen one, most of the very few women doing it are quite frumpy.

00112984 wrote: »
    Ah yes, but they have personaliteeeee, doncha know.

I COMPLETELY disagree....Im quite frumpy, and I wouldnt DREAM of doin a job like that.........and I've nooooooo personaliteeeeeeee whatsoever :):):)

*Galway
    When they're persistant, and they are persistant.

That makes it harassment, by definition.
    No they're not. Once you tell them you don't give a shi about the starving African aids children/Alcoholics/Mistreated farm animals they leave it at that.

I walk down Grafton street every single weekday where the chuggers are usually out in force. I have never once been bothered for more than 10 seconds by any of them. I've never even been stopped by one. They make eye contact with me from about 10 meters away, lock on to me, open up their arms making welcoming body language or what ever and they usually say something along the lines of "excuse me sir, can I take a few minutes of your time for (X CAUSE HERE)". I reply, "Sorry, running late" and I walk on. They move on to the next person.

If they engage in further conversation with you beyond asking you if you have the time to talk with them, you're obviously not asserting that you will not/ can't chat with them very clearly.

I bet if they were hot and they were stopping you to ask you out for a couple of drinks you wouldn't consider it harassment.

Yes because I'm not in control of any of my actions and must follow my lustful urges without hesitation. Ah sure, I'd do anything for a ride, ethics be damned.

Unless you meant it literally, in which case I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

No they're not. Once you tell them you don't give a **** about the starving African aids children/Alcoholics/Mistreated farm animals they leave it at that.

I walk down grafton street every single weekday where the chuggers are usually out in force. I have never once been bothered for more than 10 seconds by any of them.

There's a whole thread here with people who've experienced otherwise. If chuggers did'nt bother people like you are saying do you really think people would be complaining about them.

There's a whole thread here with people who've experienced otherwise. If chuggers did'nt bother people like you are saying do you really think people would be complaining about them.
    No, I think half the stories where people claim to have been followed / harassed are completely over exaggerated because hey, its fun to jump on the bandwagon and its cool to hate chuggers. I'm not saying that chuggers don't harass people. I'm sure there may be circumstances where someone collecting for a charity has harassed someone. What I'm saying is that in general, all it takes is a simple "no" and they wont bother you, so quit bull****ting about how you got assaulted/beaten up/raped by the chuggers.

• Advertisement

No they're not. Once you tell them you don't give a **** about the starving African aids children/Alcoholics/Mistreated farm animals they leave it at that.

Well why must they approach stangers for their money? Why can thay just leave people alone and mind their own business? Why can't they just stand around in their logo'd, luminous jackets until somebody approaches them?
    I walk down grafton street every single weekday where the chuggers are usually out in force. I have never once been bothered for more than 10 seconds by any of them.

Well I walk down Shop St* quite often and they're always on my tail. I must look like a hell of a mark or something.

*Galway.

Advertisement