Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers new tactics?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ass wrote: »
    No, I think half the stories where people claim to have been followed / harassed are completely over exaggerated because hey, its fun to jump on the bandwagon and its cool to hate chuggers.

Iv been bothered by chuggers and seen them bothering other people. Iv a feeling you must have been a chugger at some point as there should be no defending of people being paid to work for a charity who try and harrass people into signing over their bank details so the chugger can get their commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

No, I think half the stories where people claim to have been followed / harassed are completely over exaggerated because hey, its fun to jump on the bandwagon and its cool to hate chuggers. I'm not saying that chuggers don't harass people. I'm sure there may be circumstances where someone collecting for a charity has harassed someone. What I'm saying is that in general, all it takes is a simple "no" and they wont bother you, so quit bull****ting about how you got assaulted/beaten up/raped by the chuggers.

he is one of them! *screams like out of the body snatchers*

I work in the city centre and they can be a pain especially when they try tag team you. People who show fake concern for a cause don't encourage me to donate. Though they annoy me as much as those people handing out the Herald AM. God i hate those fcukers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Well why must they approach stangers for their money? Why can thay just leave people alone and mind their own business? Why can't they just stand around in their logo'd, luminous jackets until somebody approaches them?
    Why? Simple really, because they've been instructed to do that as it brings in the most amount of money for the charity they are collecting subscriptions for. It is just one of the many methods of income in their business model. If they don't have income, they can get the money to the recipients the charity is aimed at.

Also, for the record. I have never been a chugger ever. I don't enjoy standing outside all day like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Why? Simple really, because they've been instructed to do that as it brings in the most amount of money for the charity they are collecting subscriptions for. It is just one of the many methods of income in their business model. If they don't have income, they can get the money to the recipients the charity is aimed at.

Just because they were instructed to behave like that doesn't excuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Tell them you're not interested like a normal human being instead of rather ignorantly ignoring them while they speak to you.

I usually do to the first one or two. Once you're on to your third that's that, ignore. Especially if it appears they are with the same charity.

• Advertisement

Just because they were instructed to behave like that doesn't excuse it.
    It doesn't excuse them to random people a simple question? Why does that even require an excuse? What kind of excuse would you require for someone to initiate a conversation with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

No, I think half the stories where people claim to have been followed / harassed are completely over exaggerated because hey, its fun to jump on the bandwagon and its cool to hate chuggers. I'm not saying that chuggers don't harass people. I'm sure there may be circumstances where someone collecting for a charity has harassed someone. What I'm saying is that in general, all it takes is a simple "no" and they wont bother you, so quit bull****ting about how you got assaulted/beaten up/raped by the chuggers.

Funny you say that as walking up O'Connell st. this evening I saw it happen twice. People said "no" and the chuggers followed them down the road trying to get them to stop. I didn't catch what charity it was, but this sort of harassment happens all the time, it isn't a band wagon.

It doesn't excuse them to random people a simple question? Why does that require an excuse? What kind of excuse would you require for someone to initiate a conversation with you?

I don't know, familiarity?

But since we're talking about strangers: there's a difference between, say, asking a stranger for directions and waving down a stranger with a notebook looking to take down their bank details.

I don't know, familiarity?

But since we're talking about strangers: there's a difference between, say, asking a stranger for directions and waving down a stranger with a notebook looking to take down their bank details.
    Oh yeah, you're right. I completely forgot that they were forcing you to give them your bank details and that you have no choice in the matter of whether you talk to them or not.

Funny you say that as walking up O'Connell st. this evening I saw it happen twice. People said "no" and the chuggers followed them down the road trying to get them to stop. I didn't catch what charity it was, but this sort of harassment happens all the time, it isn't a band wagon.
    Compare the number of times you've seen unique instances of that happen with the amount of people you probably havn't noticed simply walking passed the chuggers or saying no.

Oh yeah, you're right. I completely forgot that they were forcing you to give them your bank details and that you have no choice in the matter of whether you talk to them or not.

I don't have a choice to talk to them or not when they hop out in my way trying to stop me so I'll engage them. Otherwise I, or nobody else, wouldn't have an issue with them. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In future.
    00112984 wrote: »
    "Murderer!!"
    At this point .... stab him. :pac:

So if we choose not to talk to them we'd be ignoring them. Yet we'd still incur your wrath for doing that. As seen below.

Tell them you're not interested like a normal human being instead of rather ignorantly ignoring them while they speak to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Helix wrote: »
    i bet most people on here dont have jobs that consist of irritating the **** out of complete strangers who want nothing to do with them on the street tho

fuck that shit. regardless of how irritated people feel by people collecting in this way it doesn't give them carte blanche to act like total pricks towards them.

So if we choose not to talk to them we'd be ignoring them. Yet we'd still incur your wrath for doing that. As seen below.
    I'm not sure if I should respond to this because I'm not actually sure if you're serious or not. You're essentially asking me what manners are. But I will anyway, in the unlikely event that you are in fact serious.

The polite way to instigate that you don't wish to participate in further conversation is to tell them that you don't have the time or telling them that you're not really interested.

The impolite way is to put your head down and walk passed them with out responding or telling them to gtfo.

Both forms of not talking with them, would require you to literally speak with them, they are none the less two different ways of avoiding further communication with them.

Do you understand?

Compare the number of times you've seen unique instances of that happen with the amount of people you probably havn't noticed simply walking passed the chuggers or saying no.

Well I could argue that chuggers only focus on one person at a time, and rarely try to gain attention of people in groups or couples. But even ignoring that, the fact that most people manage to slink by unnoticed doesn't justify the heckling that we get on occasion. Most people I know have been annoyed by these guys at least once in their lives. That's more then really should happen, especially considering not one person I knows has a direct debit agreement with a charity.

I'm not sure if I should respond to this because I'm not actually sure if you're serious or not. You're essentially asking me what manners are. But I will anyway, in the unlikely event that you are in fact serious.

The polite way to instigate that you don't wish to participate in further conversation is to tell them that you don't have the time or telling them that you're not really interested.

The impolite way is to put your head down and walk passed them with out responding or telling them to gtfo.

Although both forms of not talking with them, would require you to literally speak with them, they are none the less two different ways of avoiding further communication with them.

Do you understand?

So what is the polite thing to do when you told them "No thank you, im not interested" and they continue following you down the street asking again. Or when they stand in front of you asking again and again.

I think it's the chuggers who need the lessons in manners. Most people don't like being stopped in the street like this and then being followed. I and everyone else has a right to walk down a street without being harrassed. If anyone is rude to chuggers it is because they are being provoked by this kind of behaviour. Especially if it's the third or fourth time that day that they are being sopped like this.

So what is the polite thing to do when you told them "No thank you, im not interested" and they continue following you down the street asking again. Or when they stand in front of you asking again and again.
    I really don't think I need to be telling you these things because you should already know. It's pretty much just common sense.

If they stand in front of you and ask you, they tell them you're not interested and you continue on your way.
    If they follow you and ask you again, tell them the same thing as before and move on your way.
    In the unlikely event that they persist in following you after you've told them you're not interested more than once, then fair enough you're being harassed.
    Well I could argue that chuggers only focus on one person at a time, and rarely try to gain attention of people in groups or couples. But even ignoring that, the fact that most people manage to slink by unnoticed doesn't justify the heckling that we get on occasion. Most people I know have been annoyed by these guys at least once in their lives. That's more then really should happen, especially considering not one person I knows has a direct debit agreement with a charity.
    Yeah, I suppose you could only really compare it to the amount of times they fail to initiate conversation with someone when they make an attempt. In any case, I'd be pretty confident in saying that it's a greater number to the amount of times you'd see what happened those other people being harassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I remember the time a chugger fluffed his introduction line to me and my mates - he actually revealed he works for a marketing company. So we pressed him, and asked him to explain what he said. He then told us he doesn't get paid commission, then ruined it by continuing "...yeah, I try to sign people up because I love this charity, I get paid by the hour anyway. I don't have to sign people up, I do it because I want to."

I seriously question the administrative costs of any charity that has people being paid by the hour working on the street.

I really don't think I need to be telling you these things because you should already know. It's pretty much just common sense.

If they stand in front of you and ask you, they tell them you're not interested and you continue on your way.
    If they follow you and ask you again, tell them the same thing as before and move on your way.
    In the unlikely event that they persist in following you after you've told them you're not interested more than once, then fair enough you're being harassed.

The point is i should'nt have to be telling them more than
    once. If i tell them i'm not interested they should leave me alone after that. Yet telling them once is never enough as they will ask again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Except now simply walking by and not making eye contact doesn't work, because they've taken on the idea of shouting over at you, forcing you to look!

Looking down and playing with my phone, or even making calls to voicemail to make it seem like I'm having a conversation just doesn't seem to give them the message that maybe I don't want to be bothered... but now, they're going to shout at me too?

Avoiding eye contact, playing with your phone, pretending to have a phone call? Are you 12 by any chance?

When your balls drop, you'll be able to what the grown ups do: look them in the eye and say, politely but firmly, "Sorry, not interested". (Seems to work for me, the rest of yiz must be doing it wrong)

If nothing else it will spare the Internet yet another chugger thread full of Walter Mittys and the things they have said/done to chuggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Daddio wrote: »
    He then told us he doesn't get paid commission, then ruined it by continuing "...yeah, I try to sign people up because I love this charity, I get paid by the hour anyway. I don't have to sign people up, I do it because I want to."

Yeah, a couple of years ago the rumour was that they were getting about €13 an hour. I can't remember if I read that on boards or not; there was another exceptionally long thread on chuggers a couple of years ago and it may have been mentioned there.

If one of them approached me as if to hug me, I'd have to turn around and run in the opposite direction, just for the comedy effect. As it is I try my best to point-blank ignore them, as do most people I know.

The thing is, they must make a fair bit of dough for the charities, otherwise they wouldn't have them on the streets. That is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

look them in the eye and say, politely but firmly, "Sorry, not interested". (Seems to work for me, the rest of yiz must be doing it wrong)

Works for me too, I've never had any probs once I say no thanks. I think it's the looking them in the eye part. That way they know you've seen them.

I have seen some outlandish behaviour once or twice. Outside College Green, there was a girl running up to people, right into their faces and saying "Hi, you're looking great!" But for the most part, any time I've seen chuggers, they've been fairly well-behaved and reasonably non-intrusive (bearing in mind it is their job to stop complete strangers on the street).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Can we expect something more forceful with the €95m cut in overseas aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

aoibhebree wrote: »
    And that's MY way of being charitable, because I'm sacrificing half an hour of my time to save the rest of the passers-by from being attacked by that particular leech.

Ha thanks very much, we appreciate that:D... the less time they have to bother people the better!

Avoiding eye contact, playing with your phone, pretending to have a phone call? Are you 12 by any chance?

When your balls drop, you'll be able to what the grown ups do: look them in the eye and say, politely but firmly, "Sorry, not interested". (Seems to work for me, the rest of yiz must be doing it wrong)

If nothing else it will spare the Internet yet another chugger thread full of Walter Mittys and the things they have said/done to chuggers.

I should clarify that under normal circumstances I would say "no thanks" and toddled off but the point of the thread is that they've changed tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

I should clarify that under normal circumstances I would say "no thanks" and toddled off but the point of the thread is that they've changed tactics.

my problem is that a polite "no I'm in a hurry" or "no thanks" is ALWAYS met with a smart alec patronizing remark. I also resent people dancing up to me when I'm just trying to get from
    a to b is impeded. God forbid I traverse the same path a few times in a day while they try to build up a rapport.

I resent it and out of principle I'll never give to that charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

00112984 wrote: »
    I got given out to by a chugger a few months ago.

He bounced up to me on O'Connell St, dodgy hair flying and tried to hug me. I am NOT a hugger. I stepped back, gave him a look and said "do NOT do that" and kept walking. He followed me and started trying his usual chugger banter "Oi hai... Oim loike soooooooo glad I sawh you..." so I just turned and told him to f*ck off. He pretended to look all hurt and said I wasn't a very nice person. I agreed and kept walking. At this stage, he was getting pissed off; more at the idea of being ignored than anything and starts sreaming down the street at me "so you want little black children to die of AIDS?! Murderer!!"

Interesting tactic but he worked for Childline and I wasn't aware of a huge youth AIDS problem over here.

let him hug you and then claim he touched you inappropriately call the cops for assault

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

people who give money to these people make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Daddio wrote: »
    I remember the time a chugger fluffed his introduction line to me and my mates - he actually revealed he works for a marketing company. So we pressed him, and asked him to explain what he said. He then told us he doesn't get paid commission, then ruined it by continuing "...yeah, I try to sign people up because I love this charity, I get paid by the hour anyway. I don't have to sign people up, I do it because I want to."

I seriously question the administrative costs of any charity that has people being paid by the hour working on the street.

a chugger was bragging to me a couple of years ago about how much he made, something like 15yoyos an hour, plus the first month or twos donation, and then further bonuses if he met certain targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

a chugger was bragging to me a couple of years ago about how much he made, something like 15yoyos an hour, plus the first month or twos donation, and then further bonuses if he met certain targets.

I'd say he was having you on about getting the first month or two's donations. I'd believe an hourly wage, commission and bonuses but being paid all of the donations for any length of time sounds like absolute rubbish.

Advertisement