Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers new tactics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

javaboy wrote: »
    What if you don't have 2 minutes to go through that conversation (possibly 3 times on the one street)? What if the chugger deviates from your script?

It's two minutes I'm willing to spare as the alternative is being followed and/or harassed.:p Better just to firmly but nicely sort it out there and then. If I get stopped on multiple occasions I just say I was talking to your mate up there. "Did you sign up?" to which I reply "Sure did!":pac:

The chuggers rarely deviate from the script to a significant degree. I just make sure not to let them take me off on a tangent and I focus on my point, which is not wanting to hand out bank details in public. They get the message eventually. It does take 2/3 minutes to get them to let it go but as I said, better that than them making a scene!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dagnamit, every time I see a 'Chuggers' thread in AH I think its about chugging beer.... EVERY time! :mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

i hate them....is there any law that says its okay to kick a chugger in the nuts (its usually the guys that harass me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That would be physical assault and could get you locked up.
    However you could always donate a kick in the nuts, that's entirely different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Yis must me all very timid to be so put out by chuggers?

I'll happily walk right through a pair of them head-up and not even give them the time of day. If they try to block or give me any chat for that then I just tell them to go 'get the **** out of my way'. If they're still stupid enought to give me any guff after that well then that's when I make sure that I'm the one bollox they'll remember at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

One of the charities (don't know which one - they wear green) has an interesting tactic - the chugger sticks out their hand as if to shake yours. I've been a hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner, so I know a bit about it. Handshakes are almost instinct, and they're enough to drop people into trance if done even halfway right, so they're trying to hypnotise people into joining. Hypnosis doesn't mean someone has you under their control, but sometimes it's enough to make a difference.

That's nasty :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Confab wrote: »
    One of the charities (don't know which one - they wear green) has an interesting tactic - the chugger sticks out their hand as if to shake yours. I've been a hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner, so I know a bit about it. Handshakes are almost instinct, and they're enough to drop people into trance if done even halfway right, so they're trying to hypnotise people into joining. Hypnosis doesn't mean someone has you under their control, but sometimes it's enough to make a difference.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I just tell them I'm a potless student. The truth works, just sometimes. They always giggle and stop annoying me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Confab wrote: »
    the chugger sticks out their hand as if to shake yours.

Never shake hands with anyone on the streets you don't know.
    It's a common skanger tactic to disarm the unwary, it's normally accompanied by a head-butt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I also think they are hugely annoying. How DARE they think they can hug you, someone they don't know and have never met. I have had men (i'm a female) put their arms out in front of me as if to hug me, and when i side step them and try and motor on they cry after me 'come on, i just want to talk to you!'.

does anyone know the perfect retort to a 'hey, man. how's it goin? get off that phone for a second' or what ever they say.
    yesterday some guy (collecting for concern) waves at me and starts signaling to 'come over here' and says 'hey, man. come here for a sec'. I called him a 'dlckhead'. i cant believe i stooped so low....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

whodoo wrote: »
    does anyone know the perfect retort to a 'hey, man. how's it goin? get off that phone for a second' or what ever they say.
    yesterday some guy (collecting for concern) waves at me and starts signaling to 'come over here' and says 'hey, man. come here for a sec'. I called him a 'dlckhead'. i cant believe i stooped so low....:mad:

Assume they're flirting with you. Respond in kind. More fun if you're a guy and they are too. :)

yes they might not like a bit if male attention...might be worth a shot...although that guy yesterday would turn ur stomach. god help him. maybe the charity was for him:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

does anyone know the perfect retort to a 'hey, man. how's it goin? get off that phone for a second'

Just say "sorry bud, I can't. I'm talking to a kid in africa that I sponsor and he only has a few seconds left on his clockwork phone before it goes flat"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i was walking passed BOI college green today and i noticed that all the male chuggers there were really good looking...of course as soon as i looked at one they were after me...god dammit i've never run from a hottie so fast in my life!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dragan wrote: »
    Out of interest, how would you like to see people collecting for charity act?

they arent workoing for charity, they are working for an agency and earning more than minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ShooterSF wrote: »
    :)

as far as i know they do a psychology workshop before they start work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

they arent workoing for charity, they are working for an agency and earning more than minimum wage.

Because everybody who does work for a charity should work directly for the charity and earn minimum wage?

I love how people like you expect that anybody working in a charity is doing it for next to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I avoid giving them eye contact and if they approach me I firmly tell them that I'm not interested. You always get some moron who questions you further, but by that stage I'm completely out of their space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Tell them you;re interested but cant stop. Ask them to walk with you and walk very fast while thy are talking. When you are bored walk into a shop. They cant follow you.

Met a few friends for lunch on Monday in stephens green.
    Chuggers were out in force.

One of the guys had tickets he was selling for a raffle to raise money for his kids football team. We decided to have some fun and took a book of tickets each. 3 of us stood at the shopping center, watching the fourth go over and get caught by a chuggr on purpose.

He lets him go on for about 10 minutes unitl he is asked for details. He pulls out the tickets and gives his own schpeel to the chugger holding the tickets in front of his face. It was brilliant.

We should have filmed it.

Theres an idea. Can someone start a thread where we film chuggers and post the videos. Make it a national sport to find chuggers and point a camera phone at them while they have a victim. Then post the video here.

Or how about when they stop you you point your camera phone at them while they are talking. See how they like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

barnardos are the worse. So aggressive to get that direct debit mandate signed.

Barnardos have an english woman and some other gimps around henry st/mary st annoying the sh1t out of people. There is usually a decent looking blonde one and its funny to see lads fall into her trap.

I have a direct debit set up with Concern so these fcukwits can piss off if they think i'm giving some clown on the street my bank account details. Have enough trouble with junkies coming up to me looking for change and smokes.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Es tut mir leid, Ich habe keine Englisch

Even if they speak german they'll leave you alone as they assume you won't have an Irish address/bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A while back some chap tried to stop me on Georges Street. I was eating a roll and on my way back to college.

As I was walking up the street, your man waved at me. I looked at him and shook my head a few times. As I got closer to him, he walked in front of me - blocking my path - and said: "Do you know how lucky you are to have a roll?"

I said: "**** off. I'm eating my lunch." and did a Dr. Cox shoulder as I walked past him.

These guys are going too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Give them fake bank details. Easy and evil. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Just tell them that you started donating using instructions from the charities website, that way the charity gets maximum benefit from my donation as it avoids giving commission to some ass licking attention seeking chin stroker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's kind of difficult to make out the point you are trying to make here. Sure they operate as professional business. Otherwise they would not be nearly as successful in fund-raising as they are. And as with any successful business they need to hire good people and pay the going rate for such people. What exactly is your problem with that? What are you suggesting they do?

because they're turning our cities into even bigger sh*tholes then they already are. There was time when if someone politely stopped me in the street I'd stop and hear them out. Chuggers put an end to that

Because they take advantage of human politeness and weakness, targetting people who are too polite to ignore them and too self conscious and embarrassed to say no to a "good" cause even when its about to p*ss on their leg.

Because their whole strategy is based on being cynical ****.

Every logo I see on chugger goes into my list of charidees I'll wouldnt piss on in a drought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Give them fake bank details. Easy and evil. :D

I use to do that, but it was too time consuming. I just tell them that I don't give my bank details out in public. I have no problem giving one off cash donations though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

There is a really simple and quick way of doing it, say "I've signed up to it with that guy" (and point to the one that is down the street). They then quickly jump out in front of someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Yeah that's what I do, just keep walking with thumb pointed behind you saying "I got accosted by your buddy already".

They move on to the next victim mighty quick.

Advertisement