Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers new tactics?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Because everybody who does work for a charity should work directly for the charity and earn minimum wage?

I love how people like you expect that anybody working in a charity is doing it for next to nothing.

people like me? thats racist so it is.
    i was offered the job maybe 5years ago. it was 10euro an hr. i didnt take it cos i didnt want to be an anoying cuhnt wreckin peoples heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I just say to them, "I'm already signed up, tenner a month!"... What can they say to that!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

i was offered the job maybe 5years ago. it was 10euro an hr. i didnt take it cos i didnt want to be an anoying cuhnt wreckin peoples heads

But yet here you are 5 years later, doing exactly that for free.

:D

people like me? thats racist so it is.
    I'm an equal opportunity racist so that makes it OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maximus22

I'm an equal opportunity racist so that makes it OK ...lmao...I must remember that 1.

But yet here you are 5 years later, doing exactly that for free.

:D

I'm an equal opportunity racist so that makes it OK

so im wrecking your head? awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

is there not an intellectual/chugger insulting version of 'your ma' or something to that effect....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i have a black eye at the moment and i live in d2,prime chugger territory but i've been non-chugged all week ,on the basis of the theory that people with black eyes dont give to charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

also old ladies gasp in horror when i pass,and grip their handbags a little tighter,but that's by the by

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Seen a group of them out today on O'Connell St. in Dublin trying to shake peoples hands and chatting to their victim like they are best mates or something...i just tell them to either f**k off, or to do something worthwhile with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Bambi wrote: »
    because they're turning our cities into even bigger sh*tholes then they already are. There was time when if someone politely stopped me in the street I'd stop and hear them out. Chuggers put an end to that

Because they take advantage of human politeness and weakness, targetting people who are too polite to ignore them and too self conscious and embarrassed to say no to a "good" cause even when its about to p*ss on their leg.

Because their whole strategy is based on being cynical ****.
    This was a great post, absolute nail on the head. The charities who have inflicted them on us and train them to prey on the helpful and pleasant people in our cities deserve nothing but contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Ha, I was offered a job as a chugger about 4 years ago... They were gonna give me €14 an hour, a car to drive around in and cover all my accommodation expenses for terrorizing people all over the country...

I didn't even apply for the fecking job, another chugger decided I'd be good at it and passed all my details onto the HR dept!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭WanderlustQueen

What really annoys me about these dopes is that they work in packs. Not even packs, in clusters, about 4 feet away from each other on the footpath. What is the logic in that? If i say no to 3 of your co-workers what on earth makes you think I'm gonna say yes to you, mighty number 4??

A few weeks ago I got hassle from one guy who was standing outside FAS on Baggot street. I explained to him that I was just after coming out of an UNEMPLOYMENT CENTRE, and I obviously don't have ANY money...the look on his face said it all. Go stand outside Brown Thomas. Its not rocket science love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I have my MP3 player so loud, I wouldn't hear a bomb going off beside me. (It's debatable whther I'd hear that anyway...)

They're not like normal muggers. You can't whallop them one. They try to get in your way. They do everything to get your attention. You just.....can't.... punch them, no matter how hard you'd want to. Because they are erstwhile 'good'.

I wonder if I shouldnt just wander around town with my own 'Recession' T-shirt, and a bucket. Maybe they'll leave me alone thinking I was one of them....

Camoflage you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wtf? Are you people coming up against the worst chuggers I've never seen?
    I've had the handshaking and kept walking and forgot about them, I've had the approaching and shake my head quickly and keep walking...
    Just don't acknowledge them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Bambi wrote: »
    because they're turning our cities into even bigger sh*tholes then they already are. There was time when if someone politely stopped me in the street I'd stop and hear them out. Chuggers put an end to that

Because they take advantage of human politeness and weakness, targetting people who are too polite to ignore them and too self conscious and embarrassed to say no to a "good" cause even when its about to p*ss on their leg.

Because their whole strategy is based on being cynical ****.

Every logo I see on chugger goes into my list of charidees I'll wouldnt piss on in a drought.

bang on.

ive been working in town so long ive adapted but you tend to forget that there are people out there that dont know how to deal with them. i was in town a while back with my mother who's in her 70s (coming back from the hospital) and she actually stopped to listen to some beardy prat.
    i had to practically drag her away explaining he was only interesded in getting money off her.

her entire generation will chat to anyone and seeing as she hasnt been in town in literally decades shes no idea what these pricks are like

these guys are the most despicable scum on our streets as half of em wouldnt get involved if they wernt getting the 14 euro an hour which is a ****ing ridiculous rate of pay for a supposed charity. theres people starting in BANKS that dont get that hourly rate FFS !

the whole things a bleeding scam and the tactics they use to intimidate people is sickening.

thankfully i can give of a "**** OFF! " vibe when i want to. most take one look at me and home in on some other poor bastard. unfortunetly thats usually somone like my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm thinking of when the next time I encounter a chugger, I'll try and sell them some health insurance or a gym membership.

Or carry around a vacuum cleaner for a demonstration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

If they were more polite, less patronising and less fake and acted like real people who gave a ****, then maybe I'd stop. Maybe.

I really hate when they give you all their attention. I just want to walk down the road in peace, I don't want to stand out, and then one of these gimps is like "well mate/hey buddy!" but as soon as you show no interest, they are straight back to scanning the crowd. I would love to see their training sessions, my god, those people have balls. Who are these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just noticed today that rearranging the ol' features into a determined expression and walking faster puts 'em right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I just say to them, "I'm already signed up, tenner a month!"... What can they say to that!?!

tried that one before, flashed my white wrist band, got the response, 'thats an old campaign buds, let me tell you bout our new one'

even now, with the earphones in, looking at the mobile pretending to txt, and looking like your walking somewhere in a hurry, even when you are actully in a hurry, they still try pranching across the road trying to get into your line of sight, doing their little jig and flapping the arms about like a demented loon, yeah, thats really gonna want me make and stop to talk to you

:mad:

all i can say is the poor african children, if only they knew whats going on over here. its disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I just ask them "how much do you give?" usually shuts em up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

after reading this thread and thinking about it i decided to email concern about a particularly agressive incident on westmoreland st the other day.i was amazed at the response i got.and really impressed.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for getting in contact with us today about how you feel, and please accept our apologies for any upset caused to you by our fundraisers. Thanks also for your kind words about our overseas work. The public in Dublin have been very generous in their time and donations to Concern over the years and we certainly wish to maintain that good will (so I’d like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, and assure you we certainly take your comments onboard).

I can understand how strongly you feel about this fundraising method; and that because of where you study you must have to go by fundraisers for many charities on a regular basis. It is probably not surprising for you to hear that because of the large number of people who pass through the city, there are popular and regular streets where fundraisers set up because of the fantastic responses there. But following your contact, and discussions here, we are now reviewing the number of our visits around the city. I hope that you will notice a reduction in the number of visits, and that a more positive impression of Concern and other charities will remain into the future.

In relation to your experience of being “shouting at and chased” I am absolutely appalled. That sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable to Concern and I would really appreciate if you could give me more detail on this incident (such as the date, place and time, and a description of the fundraiser). I can guarantee you that any Concern fundraiser engaged in such behaviour would be taken off the street immediately and would not return, as it is a severe breach of our Code of Conduct.

Reputation is the lifeblood of any charity and we take it very seriously, as we do public opinion. We do not advocate the use of aggressive selling tactics (there is no commission, bonus, or performance-related pay) and we try to distance ourself from ‘sales’ techniques as much as possible. We currently use our own staff in Concern to do this work because we found the quality and control to be far better than using a company to do it for us (as is often the only other option). I am sorry to hear this was not your experience, and I can assure you that we will follow up on any information you can give us. In the meantime we will increase the monitoring of current practice.

However, while we are aware that this method does not suit everyone, more than half of our regular donors found it the most convenient way of supporting our work. It is currently our most cost-effective way of reaching so many new people who want to support us. As a result, Concern has been able to dramatically increase the number of people benefiting from our overseas programmes and the quality of the work we can do.

Ultimately, assisting people who live in extreme poverty and hunger is what our work is all about, and this is why we have a range of ways in which people can help. Whether it is most suitable for someone to support us via post, over the phone, the internet, on the street, through the papers, or as a volunteer, we wish to continue to have that option available to them. However, we need to ensure that this does not become overbearing for the public, so we appreciate your contact.

I hope this email has helped to explain why we currently use the method, and I apologise once again for any upset caused to you. I would not wish there to be any lasting ill-feeling with Concern, and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Finally, I appreciate you taking the time to read this response, as I didn’t intend it to be so long.

With Thanks,

XXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

after reading this thread and thinking about it i decided to email concern about a particularly agressive incident on westmoreland st the other day.i was amazed at the response i got.and really impressed.

I too am amazed. 14 pages of people moaning and whining and you're the first person to have felt strongly enough to actually do anything about it. I guess a lot of people here don't feel as strongly about the issue as their internet bravado would indicate.

Fair play to you for doing something.

Couldn't really fault Concern's response: harassment is unacceptable but they'll always pay people to fund raise on the street because it is really effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Recently outside Pearse Dart Station I was hassled by one of these chuggers with their stupid ass gawdy green tshirts. I got the whole "have you a minute"/outstretch for the handshake tactic. Luckily enough for me I had my CV with me, on which it states that I had raised €30,000 for charity in the past 2 years, won awards for charity work etc etc. So of course, making my point in refusing, I flicked upon the CV, pointed at the facts and figures - and said I simply could not afford to give the amount. To which she replied..

"Well I've raised over 1million euro for Bernardos, so you need to catch up"

My jaw dropped.

Facts I noted (put lightly here): There is no way you have raised that amount in silly little 13 euro a month donations.
    Even if you did, you did it while being paid (12-14euro an hour+commisson afaik), someone like myself (and there are plenty others out there) never gained (in fact probably lost financially) from their charity/volunteer work.
    Why wouldn't she just give half her salary to Bernardos if she wants to make such a difference.

I then noted her t-shirt looked as if someone had puked a radioactive liquid on her, and walked off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

hada wrote: »
    Recently outside Pearse Dart Station I was hassled by one of these chuggers with their stupid ass gawdy green tshirts. I got the whole "have you a minute"/outstretch for the handshake tactic. Luckily enough for me I had my CV with me, on which it states that I had raised €30,000 for charity in the past 2 years, won awards for charity work etc etc. So of course, making my point in refusing, I flicked upon the CV, pointed at the facts and figures - and said I simply could not afford to give the amount. To which she replied..

"Well I've raised over 1million euro for Bernardos, so you need to catch up"

My jaw dropped.

Facts I noted (put lightly here): There is no way you have raised that amount in silly little 13 euro a month donations.
    Even if you did, you did it while being paid (12-14euro an hour+commisson afaik), someone like myself (and there are plenty others out there) never gained (in fact probably lost financially) from their charity/volunteer work.
    Why wouldn't she just give half her salary to Bernardos if she wants to make such a difference.

I then noted her t-shirt looked as if someone had puked a radioactive liquid on her, and walked off.

Why didnt you just tell her to fcuck off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'm thinking a change of tactics is needed. Next time one of them goes to shake my hand I'm gonna grab it and pretend to be a junkie looking for a few yoyos for some gear. And the next Junkie that asks me for a few quid I'm going to try and sign him up to sponser a chidler in timbuktoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Some chugger chased me up Grafton Street last week yelling out my name that my stupid friend gave him

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Degsy wrote: »
    Why didnt you just tell her to fcuck off?

What annoys me 2nd only to the chuggers is the people who entertain the c**nts whereby the two end up in complete droney moronic banter, the chugger clinging on for a sale and the normie thinking they are cool by talking to the chugger with no intention of buying.

I love chuggers attempting their mind control tactics on me...I loudly and forcefully say NO while pointing, like you would to a dog who just pi$$ed on the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

fenris wrote: »
    A particularly entertaining lady got really upset when I said

"My mum told me never to talk to chuggers"

Started to shout and screech about how she was not a chugger and how that it was a horible word for a difficult job as she followed me along grafton street getting increasingly verbal and ignored.

sweet, im gonna call the next one that bothers me in town a chugger.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

They do really annoy me, but to be honest, a confident yet polite "no thanks" has never failed me in getting rid of them. I've used it a lot, too, I live close to town and work there, so at least 5 times accosted a week. Try it. A smile helps too, like in most human interaction.

<re reads post>
    /Mary poppins.

Advertisement