Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend Effective security for Vista

• 03-02-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a security package that works effectively with Vista. My problem stems from Vista HP not restarting, the machine is still under warranty and the supplier is suggesting the problem may have been caused by my Zonealarm firewall. I used Zonelalarm for a few years with XP Pro without any problems and wasnt happy to have to buy it again for Vista.

Anyway, can anyone offer advice on these options for firewall and virus protection;

1. Reinstall Zonealarm but does anyone know if it actually causes problems with Vista Home Premium.

2. My other option is not to reinstall Zonealarm, but to use free AVG for virus protection and windows firewall.

3. Bullguard has been recommended but there seem to be mixed reviews out there. Does it cause any problems?

4. Is anyone using Norton with vista home premium and has it improved its memory drain as claimed in some reviews.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I haven't used any of the paid ones in years simply down to the fact they try to take over your computer by giving you loads of useless programs you'll never really need. Their trying to justify their price tag but it's just a waste.

All I wanted is something basic that didn't 2nd guess every second click of the mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1) Train users to not click on stupid things or install rubbish or toolbars etc. Assume sites that insist you need a codec are lying. Don't install plugins etc from any random place.
    2) Use anything other than IE and Outlook for Web and Email
    3) Make sure behind a Firewall. If not on DSL buy an ethernet Router (even for 3G dongle). (So switch off Windows Firewall and don't bother with ZoneAlarm. False Security compared with a Router's Firewall)
    4) Disable Autorun on EVERYTHING.
    5) Turn on file endings in Explorer display and understand that more than .exe excutes (make a list)
    6) go to www.silentrunners.org Figure out what it's talking about and run his application if you have any doubts from time to time.
    7) Visit Security sites and understand how social engineering attacks work and what an attack vector or vulnerability is. Such that a ZIP file with
    partypics.jpg                                                                                                                                                                  .exe

Won't fool you. Hint scroll across!
    7) Optionally run an AV program but update it twice a day. Without Items 1 to 6 it's doomed to fail.
    9) Don't use pirate SW.

10) If you DO have to connect to a strange LAN or WiFi or Modem direct switch off File &Printer sharing. Remove MS Client in Network properties and in services.msc disable Browser, uPNP/SS discovery, Server.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote:
    7) Visit Security sites and understand how social engineering attacks work and what an attack vector or vulnerability is. Such that a ZIP file with
    partypics.jpg                                                                                                                                                                  .exe

LOL

Advertisement