Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Router with UPC Broadband?

Options
  • 03-02-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is it possible to connect a Netopia Router to the cable modem provided by UPC? I'd rather not fork out the €50 to UPC for the Netgear one. The lady at the other end of the phone said that they wouldn't be compatible, but I'm reluctant to believe her.

Any idea?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Short answer, not possible bud.

*edit*

Get one of these, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's possible, but rather pointless. The Netopia will not route traffic on it's Ethernet ports to either wireless, or the other Ethernet ports, and the NTL modem is not a router either, so the Netopia would be acting as a simple switch. All this means, you won't be able to connect more than 1 computer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jor el wrote: »
    It's possible, but rather pointless. The Netopia will not route traffic on it's Ethernet ports to either wireless, or the other Ethernet ports, and the NTL modem is not a router either, so the Netopia would be acting as a simple switch. All this means, you won't be able to connect more than 1 computer.

And even when it works it tends to be inconsistent at least from the number of posts here in the past from people asking for help with the proposed set up or similar.

dub45 wrote: »
    And even when it works it tends to be inconsistent at least from the number of posts here in the past from people asking for help with the proposed set up or similar.

One thing I would be concerned about, is that the NTL modem's output is a WAN connection, which you then connect to, what is basically a switch, and then connect this on to your computer. Now, I'm not entirely sure whether this should always work, or if there are issues.

Certainly, if you tried to connect more than one computer, they would be both trying to get the same public IP from the modem, and this will cause problems or lack of connectivity, unless you get a router in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Certainly, if you tried to connect more than one computer, they would be both trying to get the same public IP from the modem, and this will cause problems or lack of connectivity, unless you get a router in there.
    i have upc and used to just have a switch connected to the modem(no router)
    i had a ps3 and pc connected at the same time with no issues

• Advertisement

It would work, if NTL give you more than 1 IP address. That must be the case, but I'd imagine there is a limit there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's about €50 for a ethernet router in Argos, or Dabs.ie etc.

You really NEED a FIREWALL and ROUTER. A DSL modem based router used just as a switch is asking for problems.

You know over 90% of exploits are blocked by a Firewall. You don't need the get the Netgear UPC offer, but you DO need an ethernet based router (wifi if desired) from somewhere. Don't make a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

It would work, if NTL give you more than 1 IP address. That must be the case, but I'd imagine there is a limit there somewhere.
    yeah i was usin it like that for a while but now i just use the netgear router for wireless for the pc but have the ps3 and xbox still connected to the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is it possible to connect a Netopia Router to the cable modem provided by UPC? I'd rather not fork out the €50 to UPC for the Netgear one. The lady at the other end of the phone said that they wouldn't be compatible, but I'm reluctant to believe her.

Any idea?
    It is possible, I done it only yesterday with a Netopia router but a different provider, same principal.
    If you plug your cat5 cable coming in from UPC into port 4 on the eircom router, then log into it, go to advanced, then connection options I think there will be an option there to switch from pppoe to wan. Give it a few minutes and you are good to go. I had 2 desktop's, 1 laptop and a camera system working off it if without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

watty wrote: »
    It's about €50 for a ethernet router in Argos, or Dabs.ie etc.

You really NEED a FIREWALL and ROUTER. A DSL modem based router used just as a switch is asking for problems.

You know over 90% of exploits are blocked by a Firewall. You don't need the get the Netgear UPC offer, but you DO need an ethernet based router (wifi if desired) from somewhere. Don't make a false economy.

I have a cable router for my current ISP - I think this is the one.

Due to moving I've to change ISP to UPC. Will I be alright connecting this router to the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

I recently bought a Netgear from Argos. They make pretty solid wireless routers. h.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 itexpert

I have UPC Broadband, they provide cable broadband and you need cable router - dont think netopia (the one provided with eircom) is a cable router.

I got UPC to give me a router, over year now - works like a charm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hwibee

hi there. any other cheaper routers that works with UPC broadband? will a crossover cable work?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hwibee wrote: »
    hi there. any other cheaper routers that works with UPC broadband? will a crossover cable work?

Any wireless router - what is now commonly known as a cable router - that has not got a built in adsl modem will work fine.

For example:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10282

That list is just an example of the wide ranger that is available and note that it does not include the Linksys brand which would be a favourite of a lot of people on here.

Advertisement