Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Updating problem.

• 03-02-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a laptop off Dell last this time last year. None of the updates install on it, when i used to go to the update screen it said error code 800040003, or some such number like that. The whole thing freezes up a few seconds after i log on now. Its driving me around the twist.

I've followed the instructions to solve this problem (as presented by the 'help'), however it didnt work. I'm ready to throw the shagging thing out the window. Is there any simple way around this??

Thanks,

Cpt.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

whats the exact error code?
    or some such number like that

doesn't help much :)

and my web just died...great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

kaimera wrote: »
    whats the exact error code?

doesn't help much :)

and my web just died...great.

I'm nearly sure its the one i mentioned above, but the laptop feezes nearly instanteously after i log in, so i cant check. When i restart it, it goes to check the disc for consistency (??), but that freezes too.

Its doing my nut in!!

Hey guys, i got the error code. Its 80070003. If anyone could help i'd be mucho grateful. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

i think i had the ame problem as you. vista listed the updates but didnt download them, it remained at 0%. i had to load internet explorer and select internet options. choose connections. select Lan Setting. make sure the box for Automatically Detect Settings is ticked. select ok and apply. exit explorer and restart your computer, now try again ...

it happened to me on my new computer the first time i went to update

omerin wrote: »
    i think i had the ame problem as you. vista listed the updates but didnt download them, it remained at 0%. i had to load internet explorer and select internet options. choose connections. select Lan Setting. make sure the box for Automatically Detect Settings is ticked. select ok and apply. exit explorer and restart your computer, now try again ...

it happened to me on my new computer the first time i went to update

Thanks for that, i've tried that, but unfortunately it doesnt work.

It doesnt list the updates and it says 'Windows cannot search for updates.' and then gives the code stated above (80070003).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

You need to stop the windows update service, delete the update temp fils and then restart the service. The below info is taken from http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/dc8636cd-4742-4e4e-b07c-a8cc9c684b261033.mspx#EQ

To stop the Windows Update service
    You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2. Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Stop.

To delete temporary update files
    1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.

2. Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed, typically drive C.

3. Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.

4. Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To restart the Windows Update service
    You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.

2. Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Start.

If the problem persists after you have followed the steps above, see this Knowledge Base article on the Microsoft Help and Support website or go to the Windows Update Support Center website to request support by e‑mail.

NoteDeleting temporary update files will help solve the problem, but it will also delete the history in Windows Update. You can still see which updates are installed on your computer by going to Installed Updates: To see which updates are installed on the computer
    • Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.

Advertisement