Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Quality Car Wash

Options
  • 03-02-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, looking for the best quality in car washes?

Seeing as its very hard to wash one outdoors these days, what with the rain/sleet at the mo, even though i prefer washing it myself.

The one at superquinn looks like a good deal, 9.50 for the whole lot including undercarriage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I dont like to use drive through car wash's because it can damage the paintwork and remove the lacquer from the car.

People in black or red cars should definately not use these washes.

I am torn between two wash's to be my favourite. The Texaco on Mulgrave Street for €8 or €10 because I always give them €2 tip when they do a good job. Go when its quiet(rarity) and they will spend a good deal of time on your car.

The other one is behind the Maxol at the Groody Roundabout. Its also €8 but they squegee your car so no streaks on the paint or windows. The problem is that they can sometimes rush you car and miss important bits.

BTW I just had my car valeted in Crystal valeters in Galway yesterday and they used my digital camera to take a picture of themselves. Dirty sh*ts. Boss suspeneded him for one day and gave me a voucher for a full valet. Nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Berty wrote: »
    BTW I just had my car valeted in Crystal valeters in Galway yesterday and they used my digital camera to take a picture of themselves. Dirty sh*ts. Boss suspeneded him for one day and gave me a voucher for a full valet. Nice :D

Bit harsh. I would have found the funny side of that. It's not like they stole the thing.

You want me to sort em out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I dont like to use drive through car wash's because it can damage the paintwork and remove the lacquer from the car.

People in black or red cars should definately not use these washes.

I am torn between two wash's to be my favourite. The Texaco on Mulgrave Street for €8 or €10 because I always give them €2 tip when they do a good job. Go when its quiet(rarity) and they will spend a good deal of time on your car.

The other one is behind the Maxol at the Groody Roundabout. Its also €8 but they squegee your car so no streaks on the paint or windows. The problem is that they can sometimes rush you car and miss important bits.

Used them twice and found they missed more than just important bits - now I've decided to miss them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bit harsh. I would have found the funny side of that. It's not like they stole the thing.

You want me to sort em out?

They were sifting through my car by the looks of it. The rear view mirror was off centre, the M50 toll tag was not put back correctly, all the air vents were closed and the air was turned on with full heat to the footwells and each radio station was tuned to some god awful Galway radio station. My collection of business cards had been gone through, the glovebox and the centre arm rest where they found the camera and took a picture.

I had my car in for the exterior to be washed and waxed not what they did. Before anybody tells me I should not have left the camera in the car, I forgot it was there but I also gave them the keys to my car which is a little worse than a camera.

The boss checked the cameras and said the whole lot of them had to be spoken to but he was given the rest of the day off, unpaid Im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

+1 for the Fairgreen Filling Station on Mulgrave Street. The only downside is when it is busy there is very little space to queue.

Wouldn't leave my car near those automated washes either, besides the damage to the paintwork those brushes tend to eat anything that sticks out from the car.

Ideally though I like to wash the car myself by hand with a bucket of warm water, a hose and a mitt but it is almost impossible to do that this time of year. Hence my car hasn't been washed since before Christmas. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

they were a few fellows washing cars behind the maxol in castletroy, near fine wines & the phone shop, havn't been on this route for ages, are they still there?, always found these guys fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

They were sifting through my car by the looks of it. The rear view mirror was off centre, the M50 toll tag was not put back correctly, all the air vents were closed and the air was turned on with full heat to the footwells and each radio station was tuned to some god awful Galway radio station. My collection of business cards had been gone through, the glovebox and the centre arm rest where they found the camera and took a picture.

I had my car in for the exterior to be washed and waxed not what they did. Before anybody tells me I should not have left the camera in the car, I forgot it was there but I also gave them the keys to my car which is a little worse than a camera.

The boss checked the cameras and said the whole lot of them had to be spoken to but he was given the rest of the day off, unpaid Im sure.

Fair enough. I just assumed that is was a simple of case of one or two pictures from a camera that was left on the seat. Since it was in a glove compartment and that other stuff happened I understand your frustration.

Considered them sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

snowman707 wrote: »
    they were a few fellows washing cars behind the maxol in castletroy, near fine wines & the phone shop, havn't been on this route for ages, are they still there?, always found these guys fairly good.

Aren't these the same crowd mentioned by Berty above? If yes, then se my comment as well, I certainly couldn't and wouldn't recommend them.
    ........The other one is behind the Maxol at the Groody Roundabout. Its also €8 but they squegee your car so no streaks on the paint or windows. The problem is that they can sometimes rush you car and miss important bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ideally though I like to wash the car myself by hand with a bucket of warm water, a hose and a mitt but it is almost impossible to do that this time of year. Hence my car hasn't been washed since before Christmas. :(

Know how you feel, my car really needs a clean!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

I'd recommend the soft cloth wash you mentioned for 9.50 out at Superquinn in Castletroy or else on the Dock Road. These washes are good quality and don't scratch the paint work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

All automated car washes, even the softcloth ones put swirl marks/micro marring on your paint work though. Most people I know don't care about this though as it's only noticeable on a sunny day or under bright lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bantee wrote: »
    I'd recommend the soft cloth wash you mentioned for 9.50 out at Superquinn in Castletroy or else on the Dock Road. These washes are good quality and don't scratch the paint work.

Thanks
    Flaccus wrote: »
    All automated car washes, even the softcloth ones put swirl marks/micro marring on your paint work though. Most people I know don't care about this though as it's only noticeable on a sunny day or under bright lights.

Yeah the previous owner of my car must have done this. there are a few marks around the car!

Decided to give it a wash this afternoon, looking a lot better now! :D

Swirl marks are virtually unavoidable though. Even if you follow any of the carcare guides on autopia or meguiars, any contact with the car paint even with the finest microfbre cloths is going to leave some marks. The only people I know who don't have any swirl marks are detailers who buff them out with porter cables or orbital buffers which is what I used do at one time. Personally I just hand wash now and put up with the inevitable marks on the car. It's not that often we get good weather so is hardly noticable.

Some good info here
    http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=Swirl%20Marks&faqQuestionID=57&section=_57#_57

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There's a new one out there in the Delta Retail Park near fine wines / sound store. They have the lance / brush so you can do it yourself, or the guy there will do it for ten I think.

He also had extra cleaning products to help clean your wheels etc. Might go there today actually. I drove from limerick to roscommon to westport and back yesterday. Tis a bit manky.

Nice one. Might try it.

Advertisement